[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about Kafka. I've just finished Das Schloss,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: kafka.png (368KB, 634x480px) Image search: [Google]
kafka.png
368KB, 634x480px
Let's talk about Kafka.

I've just finished Das Schloss, in German which is my mother tongue, and liked it, although it was, partly, an exhausting read. Somehow, his prose is awkward and clumsy yet at the same time very beautiful to read. It took about 100 pages, though, until the atmosphere really got me. My favorite scene was the one in which he is in Bürgels office.

What should I read next? I already read and somewhat, but not as much as Das Schloss, liked Die Verwandlung, and some short stories, e.g. Ein Hungerkünstler.
How is Amerika?
>>
>>8723391
>Somehow, his prose is awkward and clumsy yet at the same time very beautiful to read

I cant read German but they say that his prose is modeled off of legal works and bureaucratic paperwork type stuff. In English his work can be awkward or stiff but I think that is what gives it its character, there is nothing like it that I have ever read. I think his very short works, like the paragraph or page length work, is his best.
>>
>>8723409
>I think his very short works, like the paragraph or page length work, is his best.
Which ones for example?
>>
>>8723422
Lenghty
A country doctor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDjmW-gIsKs
The Judgement
In the penal colony

Very short
Short
The trees
The Departure
On Parables
A Little Fable
>>
>>8723391
>What should I read next?
his diary desu
>>
I've read everything he's written and discussed it all with Kafka scholars AMA

The usual path is chronological when it comes to his novels. There's only 3 novels and they're not especially long so just go for 'em all, Amerika is fun and playful but not as unwielding as Das Schloss or as divine Der Prozess. His diaries are really quite amazing, some entries he even adapts into short stories, some dream logs seem like they should be short stories (i.e. diary entry 'The Sword' in comparison to story 'The Bridge')

>>8723409
Lengthy
In the Penal Colony
Letter to the Academy
Blumfield
The Burrow (esp. if you like Das Schloss und auch "Forschungen eines Hundes")
A Hunger Artist

Short
The Trees
Excursion Into the Mountains
Wish to Be a Red Indian
Give It Up!
The Bridge
>>
>>8723551
Have you read them in English or in German? If German, is it your native language?
>>
>>8723441
/thread
>>
>>8723551
who are the best commentators on his work? I know Benjamin and Deleuze are pretty popular but I have to think that there have been other people working on Kafka since then.
>>
>>8723658
Haven't read it myself, but Adorno's commentary on Das Schloss is very popular
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.