[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How accurate is this video in what it says about Ulysses? Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: jamesjoyce.jpg (223KB, 696x996px) Image search: [Google]
jamesjoyce.jpg
223KB, 696x996px
How accurate is this video in what it says about Ulysses? Is that really the message Joyce intended his book to have?

Starts at 03:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SuHkY2wAQA
>>
>>8723038
It's not inaccurate as far as I know, but like with all School of Life videos, it's very watered down.
>>
>appreciate the little things
wow so deep. Joyce is a hack.
>>
>Load up video
>Jane fucking Austen placed alongside Shakespeare and Joyce
Closed immediately
>>
>>8723382
There is nothing wrong with that, especially not in the context of what the guy was saying about these three authors. Pseud.
>>
>you will never look that cool
>>
File: 1441238489539.jpg (74KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
1441238489539.jpg
74KB, 500x461px
>>8723413
>>
>>8723403
Fuck of. The author of Bridget Jones Diary does not belong in the same BREATH as Joyce or Shakespeare
>>
>>8723455
Why?
>>
I think this video is a good overview and introduction to Ulysses. It ignores the figure of Stephen Dedalus totally, and the complexities of the individual chapters, but its focus on Bloom is pretty good. I think it should have discussed how preoccupations and the past also constantly invade the mind, but it pushes the right message, claimed most forwardly in Cyclops, that empathy is the gateway to sympathy.

Bloom also isn't technically Jewish but for all intents and purposes of his role in Ireland he is.
>>
>>8723539
Just curious, how is he not technically Jewish?
>>
>>8723876
His father was a jew from Hungary, who moved to Ireland and became a protestant. Bloom is raised protestant, but he is still percieved by all the native dubliners to be a jewish foreigner. He recalls some traditions that his father must have taught him, but he does not abide by them well, cooking pork kidney for breakfast, a dish that's far from Kosher.
>>
>>8723902
ETHNICALLY FUCK'S SAKES
>>
>>8723455
Yeah, because the farlover and the homo working on the shittiest theaters in England are paragons of dignity. Get out of here.
>>
I would say that everything said in that video about Ulysses is accurate, helpful, and dull. Ulysses, perhaps more than almost any other novel, and more even than most good poems, is a visceral thing that must be experienced, with its pungency, asperity, milk and miasma. It is true, for example, that after reading the book any slightly perceptive person will conclude that all should strive to be more like Bloom. But one will also find that, as a matter of fact, one has become more Bloomian, in a palpable way. Maybe I overestimate its ability to act on the mind because I read it at a very impressionable age. But nonetheless, there is more to the book than can be put into a commentary, especially one this brief. Just read it my man. Buy one of the slimmer commentaries--I think the New Bloomsday Book is good--and get down to it, not bothering to grasp absolutely every allusion unless that's your preferred way of reading. I promise you will like it. As a total stranger, I can promise that because I know all will like it who approach it with an open mind. But yes, the video is basically correct.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.