[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is human experience to a writer? Is it more important

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 5pushkin.jpg (207KB, 825x1200px) Image search: [Google]
5pushkin.jpg
207KB, 825x1200px
How important is human experience to a writer? Is it more important than study of literature?
In his TV interview Borges states that the goal of a writer lies in describing and transforming the reality around him into beautiful, memorable forms, but the man himself had objectively spent his entire life in academic circles, reading fucking books all day long, what could he possibly tell me that I couldn't get myself had I picked the same tomes?
I hate the notion of nothing being new under the sun, of course it's new, every human carves a unique track throughout his life, so shouldn't a writer strive to move around and wander off as much s possible?
>>
>>8722906
Both. Experience gives you content to write, the study of literature gives you ways to write.
>>
The experience of a shut-in is experience nonetheless.
>>
>>8722906
human experience is not at all important to the writer. Literature has nothing to do with writing. Good writers travel and recount their travels so that people can live through them.
>>
>>8722970
But if your first sentence is true then the writer shouldn't need to actually do the travelling to achieve that.
>>
>>8722975
It depends on your target audience. If you're writing literary fiction then you need to be able to prove that you are wealthy enough to travel. If you're writing genre fiction then you can write about robots fighting elves and it doesn't matter what your actual lived experience is.
>>
It really depends what you're writing about. Look at David Foster Wallace, for example. He lived a very sheltered life until he was around 27, at which point he (quote) "realized poverty existed" while living in Boston. Despite this he was able to write about trailer park life in The Pale King in a way that is believable, etc.

But most writers tend to write about things they know.

Houellebecq's protagonists are depressed ugly computer programmers, like their author.

Richard Yates's protagonists are angsty WASPs, like their author.

My protagonist is a mysterious, extremely sensitive, intensely self-aware, dark and brooding wunderkind, like their author.

Just be true to who you are and write what comes relatively natural to you. For example, it took me years to realize that supposed "high-brow" fiction just wasn't for me, and that it actually isn't entertaining to read. Now I'm writing erotica which has enough LARPing in it to allow it to pass as fantasy akin to Game Of Thrones. I just found a publisher and I couldn't be happier. Am I the next Camus? Probably not. But will I make a lot of money writing what I love? Probably not.
>>
>>8723224
Post an excerpt from your book.
>>
>>8723194
are you really basing your whole idea of literature off travel? this has to be b8
>>
>>8722906
nothing is new under the sun dude
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.