[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I realize it's popular to shit on reddit royalty, but is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 150611A-Sagan.jpg (106KB, 1500x900px) Image search: [Google]
150611A-Sagan.jpg
106KB, 1500x900px
I realize it's popular to shit on reddit royalty, but is anyone else particularly bothered by the pale blue dot speech by Sagan? It's just plain old nihilism / will-negation, no?
>>
>>8721352
It is written from the perspective of the vastness of space, which can make humanity seem trivial by comparison. It is certainly psychedelic.
>>
>>8721352

>It's just plain old nihilism / will-negation

Whatever you feel as a consequence of that perspective, you can't deny that perspective is reality.
>>
>>8721379
My point was along the lines of he's saying nothing new and something that's been wrestled with for centuries, but people make it seem like it's salient. We didn't need an actual picture of Earth to get the impression of a meaningless universe. There's been better answers than "let's just avoid all suffering since nothing matters".
>>
File: wat_walter.jpg (26KB, 413x465px) Image search: [Google]
wat_walter.jpg
26KB, 413x465px
>>8721398
it's not fucking nihilism. he's not saying that he doesn't believe in anything.

you're the idiot who keeps posting that "this is nihilistic" or "that is nihilistic", aren't you? please, for the love of god, find another fucking catch-phrase. how about anarcho-syndicalism? nobody knows what that one means either.

> sentence has the word "nothing" in the middle
> OMG HE'S A NIHILIST, HE DOESN'T BELIEVE IN ANYTHING
>>
>>8721352
I think it's important. And it's hardly nihilism, it is a speech that evokes emotion. For me it's inspiring.

I am prejudiced slightly however as I first heard it with this video which I always liked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw
>>
>>8721379
>Whatever you feel as a consequence of that perspective, you can't deny that perspective is reality.

If a truth makes you insane, there's something wrong with it.
>>
>>8722148
If a truth makes you insane, there's something wrong with it.
I've never read something more revealing of a weak-minded pleb than this.
>>
>>8722160
It's true though. Do you think the anti-semitism of Nazi-Germany was false to them? Of course not. It was true for them, and it clearly made them insane.
>>
>>8722161
It wouldn't have been insane if they won. America ethnic cleansing the native americans wasn't insane because they won.
>>
>>8722165
But since you don't mind the revelations of scientific truth, would you mind every person on the planet having the knowledge how to cross smallpox with ebola, or the knowledge how to create a nuclear weapon?
>>
>science = truth

when will this meme end?
>>
>>8722199
Blame Reddit and shit like "I fucking love science".
>>
>>8721352
you know that "speech" is just a part of the audio version of the book Pale Blue Dot, right?
try reading the whole thing and putting it into context instead of just acting like a fucking three second memory goldfish millennial
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.