[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /lit/, what's your secret short story/book reco

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (21KB, 352x340px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 352x340px
Alright /lit/, what's your secret short story/book recommendation that's so hipster, and unknown that it's socially repulsive? A book or short story that's like your favorite underground band that you don't share with others because you don't want it to get into the "mainstream".

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2006/08/21/the-spot
>>
>>8717710
The great open mouth of anti-sadness is about as hipster-y as i get probably.
>>
>secret
>hipster
>unknown
>newyorker

???

An actual answer would be hypersphere or that new Ideology literary journal or some shit if they were any good
>>
File: IMG_5270.jpg (256KB, 1485x1485px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5270.jpg
256KB, 1485x1485px
>>8717710
Trout Fishing in America because it's unknown to, say, Vonnegut fans and the like.. and the only people repulsed by it are pseuds anyway.

Also for a pseud audience I would change my answer to Prae.
>>
>>8718543
>Pseuds wouldn't like it
>Vonnegut fans wouldn't know it
>Referenced by father john misty

Anon...
>>
>>8717710
like I would know anything that's not certified
>>
>>8718543
dumb shit, there's a crossover of Vonnugget people who know Brautigan, they're both hippie classic reading material.
>>
>>8718547
>>8718567

You two should read Prae
>>
>>8718572
>Denial stage

Its okay, you fucked up. It happens. At least you didn't hide behind irony.
>>
The most underground thing I just ordered recently would be a bunch of books from Aris & Phillips Hispanic Classics.It really isn't underground at all since it was published by a big university but for some reason it's faded into obscurity. The world really doesn't care about spanish literature aside from a few big memed names.

I haven't seen the series mentioned once on here and only juan ramon is the only author i've seen from that series on here.
>>
>>8718585
Rec some.
>>
>>8718599

For starters

Miguel de Unamuno, excellent writer, I'd get abel sanchez and Niebla (mist) which is a tragicomedy or niebla which has the novel introduction written by a fictional character within the book and incorporates a lot of his philosophy.

The other generation of 98 writers from spain are top notch too, they translate all types of spanish works from medieval to 20th century so worth looking around for yourself.
>>
Louisa May Alcott's fairy tales. I haven't read them yet.
>>
"We See Things Differently", by Bruce Sterling
>>
File: japanese forest.jpg (304KB, 1600x634px) Image search: [Google]
japanese forest.jpg
304KB, 1600x634px
>>8717710
Not surprised at how few recommendations have been made. /lit/ like other boards on 4cucks is all about memes, and lacks substance.

My own recommendation is for a Japanese author called Otsuichi (pseudonym). I've read seven stories from him. Most of them are excellent. He's technically a horror novelist, yet most of what I've read are short stories and are not as frightening as you would expect and are more complex in their purpose.

The books you would need are "Calling You", "Summer, Fireworks, and My Corpse", and "GOTH: A Novel of Horror". GOTH is about a high school guy who's fascinated with serial killers. He carries out personal investigations into murder and kidnapping cases not for the sake of bringing the criminal to justice, but merely to gain a better understanding of their motivations and methods. He's a sociopath who hangs out with this dark chick classmate who gets herself into trouble a couple of times and needs him to rescue her. It's been years since I read the book, but I know it's the best of them. It's good if you have a nihilistic or pessimistic outlook on life.

Calling You has two worthwhile stories out of three included, although the last one is not terrible. The first story is about a girl who daydreams about a cell phone she doesn't have until it becomes real, not unlike meme magic perhaps in retrospect. The second one is about a boy who can heal other people's injuries by transferring them onto himself exactly. The third one is about these nutjobs in an asylum who find a humanoid flower they decide to take care of. No lessons to be learned as much here, but highly entertaining.

Lastly, SF&MC has three stories as well. The first one is okay, 3/5 maybe, the second one is worse, and the last one, "Black Fairy Tale", is very interesting and enjoyable once you get into it. I'll talk about this last. Black Fairy Tale is a league below GOTH imo, but still a 4/5 star story. Whereas GOTH has a complicated narrative that will always keep you guessing as to what is going on (think of Goosebumps cliff hangers), Black Fairy Tale is easier to follow, though still complex in its own right (you will be reading three clearly different narratives that will eventually converge unto one).

It's about this girl who walks down the street in the rain one day and has her eye gouged out by an umbrella. The accident gives her amnesia. Her family arranges for an eye transplant from a recently deceased young man, and it works out. But the eye has the mysterious power to overwhelm her sight with periodic flashbacks of the previous owner's life. Meanwhile, the girl, who was basically a Stacy, started doing worse in school and losing all her friends because of the amnesia. Eventually, she comes upon a flashback that reveals a terrible secret in connection to the man's death, and she decides to go away from home to the far away region of his home in order to investigate. Along the way, she makes new memories for herself and a new identity.
>>
>>8718905
>additional remarks
GOTH has a lot of philosophizing in it. I'm something of a enthusiast, so that is why I find this work the most appealing and meritorious. As I said before, it is nihilistic, amoralistic, relativistic, or whatever. It is very intense and may elicit from you strong emotional reactions from time to time. If you had to read just one book from him, it should be this one. I read the first edition novel (published by Tokyopop) with the white cover and black blood splatter lettering and decoration, but that version is out of print, rare, and expensive. A new edition was published last year that is more available and affordable.

Calling You doesn't give you much room to think critically. However, the stories are fantastic, absolutely readable, very original. If you just like a good story(s) but don't want to spend too much time reading them to completion, then you may consider getting this. Get the novel, not the graphic novel if it exists. Don't get any of the graphic novels in fact. They change the stories and you won't like how they depict the characters.

And Black Fairy Tale, which you can apparently purchase by itself without getting the collection, is also an intense story but raises personal questions about personal identity and free will. Have you ever wondered who you'd be if your mind were just reset? Can you imagine how strange your current life would be and how much you'd want to leave it? Where would you go from there? What would you do? You can't help but reflect on your own life after reading her story. Oh, and it's a magical realist story, along with some fable/folk tale side story.

I hope anyone who is interested will give one of these a try.
>>
Panorama by Tommaso Pincio
>>
>>8718920

Autism alert
>>
File: hank hill shower.jpg (155KB, 780x840px) Image search: [Google]
hank hill shower.jpg
155KB, 780x840px
>i dont download random books from gutenberg and read them fully even if its shit like rain surveys from 1790
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.