[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets talk about words and their meanings. Particulary words that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 6CHha.jpg (2MB, 900x1296px) Image search: [Google]
6CHha.jpg
2MB, 900x1296px
Lets talk about words and their meanings. Particulary words that don't 'feel' right. For example, I don't feel good about the following words
>livid
Sounds like a happy word, too similar to 'vivid', yet describes the opposite
>refulgent
Sounds like something disgusting and fetid, yet again, means the exact opposite
>terrific/terrifying
Who in the fuck thought its a great idea?
>>
>>8717349
If you had any kind of classical education, these words would 'mean' and 'sound' exactly as they do.

> livid
Means 'blue' or 'envious', much like English 'green' means 'envious', became 'angry'

> refulgent
Literally means 'shining again'.

> Terrific
terror + ficio = literally 'making terror', became something like 'awesome' (thing full of awe), became a form of 'good'.
>>
>>8717402
PS.

There's an interesting word, 'hellish', which is going through the same process as 'terrific', but it's happening right now. Obviously, 'hellish' meant 'like Hell', but it's not acquiring the meaning of 'very good'.
>>
>>8717349
I disagree. Livid brings out intense bleakness; refulgent, as long as you know its meaning, is easy to feel as sparkling up
>>
>>8717349
I call for a Language Reform
>>
>>8717406
i think you mean 'hella'
>>
>condone

This word was always weird to me. It means you approve of a behavior. But the word just sounds so negative.
>>
>>8717420
is because condom has negative shape of penis in its most-approving form
>>
>>8717418
No, that's American, meaning something like 'much'.

'Hellish' is British.
>>
>homely
>comely
>opposite meanings
>don't rhyme
Why
>>
>>8717442
> homely
> like a home

> comely
> beautiful

'Opposite'?
>>
>>8717450
Homely means plain and wifely when applied to women rather than attractive.
>>
Most Latinisms in the English language sound awful
>>
Two words that confuse me are

Ingenuous

Ingenuity
>>
Why aren't the verbs "envelop" and "develop" antonymous
>>
>>8717402
>If you had any kind of classical education, these words would 'mean' and 'sound' exactly as they do.
Words can evoke feelings beyond their immediate meaning. You know this and should appreciate it. Being familiar with the etymology of a word only makes it more meaningful to you, it doesn't at all detract from the emotion.
>>
>>8717420
con done

done con

con vict, con artist, con spire,
>>
Turgid, torpid, and turbid always give me a headache. My vocabulary is really quite good, too. It's just those three words that I have not been able to sort out for years, try as I might. I suppose "turbid" comes from Latin "turbidus," but turbidus means stormy, not murky, so that's not terribly helpful.
>>
>>8718266
turbid mostly comes to us from the geological term turbidity so you can see the parallel between a current causing a storm of rock and abrasion making waters "murky"

it's the active vs the being acted upon that I think is confusing, a stream is turgid in this sense and it unyielding nature causes abrasion resulting in turbid currents [a misnomer since it is the dipolar nature of water that causes the abrasion]

and torpid I think gets drawn in from the analogy though which torpedos were named, the stunning creatures making their home in water only a coincidence

honestly I never even drew the parallel between all three words until now
>>
>>8718394
or a turbine, which honestly, is the first time I've connected turbine with turbidity loll
>>
"Sublime" always sounded like a negative word to me because it sounds like slime
>>
>>8717516
I disagree
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.