[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I detach emotions from my writing? I think I get too flowery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (426KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
426KB, 2000x1333px
How do I detach emotions from my writing? I think I get too flowery with my prose and it makes things too obvious and blunt.
>>
>>8717215
think harder. Try to be as precise as possible, just when you think you can't describe further or flesh out more, go even further. Then after that try to condense it as much as possible, if possible.
>>
>>8717222
Really? I thought my problem was that I was too wanky...granted it's not a plot driven novel in the slightest so it's supposed to be built on wank..
>>
>>8717225
well I haven't read your writing so idk what you're "problem" is. Just by your post though it sounds like you're writing is concentrated too much on free association and you want to change that. In other words instead of your prose "clicking" you inflate it with verbiage to mimic the "click" you are searching for but you realize that its not "true" or working. In order to solve that you need to think harder and expand your vocabulary probably. Did I misunderstand?
>>
>>8717243
Close enough. My writing just needs organization, it's too stream of consciousness to the point where it infuriates me and comes across as inconsistent in tone
>>
You can does whatever you wants as long as you keeps good grammar
>>
>>8717215
Oh And have you read Pound's ABC of Reading? And most 18, 19th century prose tends to be very objective and cold, even if fantasiac.
>>
>>8717313
Hey OP answer me
>>
>>8717318
No I have not but I will check it out. My professor told me I have a very Joycean sense of writing, almost like a lullaby with how I write language, incredibly flowy and song songy...in my opinion it does not reflect how I would like to write. It's just something I developed in the last few years. I really enjoy the cold, Teutonic writing like Kafka where the emotion is felt in implications and outside the novel. I respect minimalism too. I wish I was that cool.
>>
>>8717329
Hey OP, I appreciate you answering me, I was looking forward to it. Good luck with your writing, and read, read. Reply to this if you want
>>
>>8717332
What you said about clicking and the attempt to capture the feeling of clicking prompted me to reflect on my writing as a whole. Thank you.
>>
>>8717343
Im the guy who was talking about clicking. I have nothing to do with the pound suggestion or anything afterwards other than this reply. I felt it necessary to let you know this
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.