[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a good philosophical reason for all this disdain for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1458487859725.jpg (47KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1458487859725.jpg
47KB, 850x400px
Is there a good philosophical reason for all this disdain for evo psych and other evolutionistic approaches in the humanities like epistemology? Is it just a left thing?

I think e.g. evo psych makes a lot of sense if you don't think in terms of strawman darwinism

Educate me please
>>
>>8714855
>Educate me please
Go to reddit bro.
>>
>>8714855

skepticism toward teleology
>>
>>8714855
Wait, so what occurs now that is incorrect, and what should occur? What are they doing wrong? what do you think is missing, I dont know exactly what you mean by evo psych what it entails, what would be different?
>>
>>8470082
>>
>>8716533

I can't link other threads?

>>8470082
>>
>>8716537
The post was deleted
>>
File: such space much time.jpg (457KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
such space much time.jpg
457KB, 1280x960px
>>8716544

It's still up on my end and I can post replies though...
>>
File: a literal meme.png (127KB, 1191x474px) Image search: [Google]
a literal meme.png
127KB, 1191x474px
>>8716544
>>8716550

Opened the browser again and it's still there. Are we shadow deleting threads like reddit now? Sad.
>>
>>8714855
I don't know much about evo psych, but certainly can think of a few problems with that.

First of all, which school of psychology will they use to determine the "mind" and the parameters they will measure (what's memory, intelligence, social behavior, etc.?).

Second, if psychological features follow an evolutionary pattern, how are societies as we know them today explained through an evolutionary narrative?

Third and last, which approach they have on language?

Can they answer those questions successfully?
>>
>>8716567
You're reading too much into it with primitive people being like Christ imo. To give a "materialist" response there are a lot of animals with functionless, "real" altruism if you want to call it that. The instinct was so strong that it survived the diminishing reward until the reward died out and then you get female dogs looking after tiger cubs like they don't give a fuck. It's a thing in evolution.
>>
File: gm-sniper-custom.png (631KB, 680x1298px) Image search: [Google]
gm-sniper-custom.png
631KB, 680x1298px
> Is it just a left thing?
Why would you even ask that?

>Is there a good philosophical reason for all this disdain for evo psych and other evolutionistic approaches in the humanities like epistemology?

I have never heard of this happening. I could only guess that people have little faith in anything psych.
>>
>>8716657

What I meant was the concept of life itself as eternal struggle originated in the Rational West. If you tell a Polynesian or South American tribesman of the basically murderous Machiavellianism our Society is built on, he'd probably think you're a demon from Hell.
>>
>>8716667
>Why would you even ask that?

OP is a troll. There's an ongoing /pol/ crossboard invasion for some reason.
>>
>>8714855
The reason why is because they overstep. Evolutionary psychology is useful insofar as it explains the historical roots of certain human drives and rituals.

The problem is its fundamentally reductionistic, it has no way of explaining very simple things like what a symbol is, which have no place in the animal kingdom that we evolved in but play a massive role in how we act and think. Its not that evolutionary psychology is wrong its just not good enough when you're interested in say why Captain Ahab wanted to kill the whale, or why Raskalnikov killed the old bitch
>>
You asked for a philosophical reason.
https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/ph/phc1ac.htm

(Hegel comments about phrenology and pieces of skull, which albeit are based on a pseudo science, while genetics is not, the reductionism itself that is derived from both of them is the same)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.