[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a certain amount of pre reading and preparation I need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20161110-115744.png (450KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161110-115744.png
450KB, 1440x2560px
Is there a certain amount of pre reading and preparation I need to do before I can truly enjoy stream of consciousness style writing? Or am I just not smart?
>>
File: 61b.jpg (51KB, 259x259px) Image search: [Google]
61b.jpg
51KB, 259x259px
>stream of consciousness chapter
>start reading really fast
>>
>>8712532
>He starts to touch her feet
>begin beating real fast
>>
it's bullshit, from autists arrogant enough to think anyone gives a damn about their innermost thoughts, and who are too lazy to create a coherent narrative. because that's like real work.
>>
>>8712516
Would Faulkner be considered "stream of consciousness" writing?
>>
>>8712516
I think you could read some of Hamsun's works and also Dubliners. Both have the same aim as stream of consciousness (making evident the inner workings of the mind) but they are written in plain prose.

The first proper modernist novel I read was To the lighthouse and I found it a great introduction to the style. Be ready to not fully get what is happening in some passages on a first read, just accept it and enjoy the prose ride. You will at the very least get the gist of it, and it will further your understanding of the character, or the dynamics between them.
Woolf changes of POV mid-sentence so that can be a bit confusing, but it makes for a very rewarding read if you can keep up with it. The dinner scene for instance is sublime, and there's also some more straightforward scenes that are equally as good (I'm thinking about the chapters describing the abandoned house and the passing of seasons for instance).

Also be wary that a lot of modernist novels don't have that much going on in terms of plot, you should focus on the prose, the formal devices and the characterization instead.

IDK. If English is your mother tongue though, you may find that some of the issues I had don't apply to you at all.
>>
File: 13213.jpg (225KB, 752x840px) Image search: [Google]
13213.jpg
225KB, 752x840px
>>8712516
That shit works great
>>
>>8713428
Appreciate the advice desu. English is technically not my first language (it's my third) but living in the states now so it's essentially become my first.
>>
>>8713337
and let me guess, you think if it isn't representational painting it isn't art? you're boring.
>>
>>8714474
A word on Hamsun. /lit/ loves Hunger, and it is perhaps his most proto-modernist novel, but I think it's not among his best works by a stretch. My favourites would be Victoria and Growth of the soil (although this last one does not relate much to modernism). However you can just pick any book of his and I guarantee you it's going to be great. If you are a Spanish speaker, Baggethun's translation is the way to go btw.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.