[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Alain Badiou- born in Morrocco >Jacques Derrida- Algeria

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: French_Third_Republic.png (255KB, 1011x1024px) Image search: [Google]
French_Third_Republic.png
255KB, 1011x1024px
>Alain Badiou- born in Morrocco
>Jacques Derrida- Algeria
>Albert Camus- Algeria
>Michel Houellebecq- Algeria

Why does it seem like a disproportionate amount of French writers were raised in the North African colonies?
>>
Louis Althusser - Algeria
>>
Jacques Ranciere - Algeria
>>
This really made me think.
>>
>>8710214
My first guess is, even though I'm sure there are many native French writers as well, that it provides an interesting situation & outlook on lyf
>>
>>8710272
Doesn't seem to be many British people from the same situation though. Kipling and Tolkein are the only two I can think of
>>
>>8710214
Not quite north american but I got those two
Claude Simon - Madagascar
Marguerite Duras - Indochine

It is interesting indeed. My guess is some young boys, alone in a country with a different culture than your parents, yours and maybe your friends, would develop an interest toward litterature and a peculir point of view.
That said, disproportionate is maybe a bit strong for there are much more authors from France itself in the 20th century : Sartre, Roland Barthes, Aragon, Queneau, Louis rené des forets, Simone de Beauvoir, Bergson, Jean Giono, Annie Ernaux, Nathalie Sarraute, Proust of course, Le Clézio, and many more
>>
writing and art in general is the outcome of psychological conflicts and life distress in general. or rather, it is a way to come to terms with it and be able to move on.

french colonialism and algerian conflict in particular are just a particular case that gave context for those who found themselves in between, not algerian yet not fully french, to question their lives and why they made no sense. in so doing they found, through the particular situation, the general human constants. their writing is the result of this conflict resolution, or its attempt.

bourdieu also, while born in france, studied in algeria and talked a lot about the issue.
>>
>>8710310
Couln't have said it better, a bit sad but very true. I would just add that writing is a way to reach to others when you have a different and complex point of view that you can't really express in regular chat.
>>
>>8710298
You might as well be saying "Not a lot of people born in Algeria were born in France. Almost none!"
>>
>5 writers
>disproprtionate amount
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8710366
Five very prominent and recognisable names.
>>
>>8710298
Mervyn Peake, Orwell, Lawrence Durrell, T. H White
Joyce and Beckett
>>
>>8710360
Obviously I mean second generation British colonists you cocksucker
>>
>>8710378
Thackeray
>>
>>8710310
Imagine what wonders will be written by Syrians and other ilk which now reside in Europe.
>>
>>8710397
nah, there has to be an ambiguous connection between the two places. refugees lack such a thing, for they are not in conflict in the place where they are hosted. their status is clearly defined as refugees. it is when their status is not clearly defined or clearly defined as ambiguous that identity fails to emerge, and so the mind will need to see beyond evidence and will find treasures it was not looking for. wars and extreme physical situations are just one context where this happens, but the important thing is the relationship of the person with its surroundings and therefore to himself.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.