[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I start with him? Or Russians in general. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Aleksandr_Solzhenitsyn_1974crop.jpg (93KB, 640x802px) Image search: [Google]
Aleksandr_Solzhenitsyn_1974crop.jpg
93KB, 640x802px
Where do I start with him?

Or Russians in general. I've only read Master & Margarita in terms of "the Russians"
>>
The gulag archipelago. But its 2700 pages, so if you want something shorter read a day in the life of Ivan denisovich
>>
>>8702852
2700 pages

what the fuck
>>
>>8702841
The Gulag Archipego was fucking magnificent. The single greatest literary acheivement of the 20th centrury.
>>8702883
He's lying, it is only around 2300 pages.
>>
>>8702889
That's just too long for me right now. Can I get my feet with with Ivan Denisovich?
>>
>>8702894
Idk, I haven't read it. I'm going to read The First Circle soon.
I've only read The Archipelago and if that is not his best, he is the best writer to have ever lived. It's the most comprehensive work on anything human, ever.
>>
>>8702841
Start with Ivan Denisovich. It's the best intro to him. After that, read "We Never Make Mistakes".
Basically, just follow him chronologically, as his life in Russia was very influenced by the books he wrote.
>>
>>8702894

Ivan Denisovich is good, but I would recommend Dostoevsky's House of the Dead over it because of Dostoevsky's superior writing ability and psychological insight.
>>
>>8702894
I loved A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. I read the spanish translation though, I'm sure the english one is just as good, assuming you're not going full 'le patrician' and read in russki
>>
>>8702852
I found Ivan Denisovich a very good read, and it was very short as well (I read it in a day IIRC) so there's no harm at all in starting there.
>>
>>8702942
Any recommended translations?
>>
>>8702994
Nah, english always destroys russian in any form, but lucky for you, he wasn't as much of a stylist as far as being tied to language goes.
>>
>>8702841
The Kreutzer Sonata. Good dissertation on roasties by Tolstoy.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.