[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How am I supposed to write dialog when I am an autist that doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0052.jpg (76KB, 658x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0052.jpg
76KB, 658x960px
How am I supposed to write dialog when I am an autist that doesn't understand how to converse irl?
>>
Autist who writes some great dialogue here.
Depends how bad your autism is and how it affects you. I'm always dreaming of big fight scenes and the like, so what I do is recall the emotions I have that were similar to what that character is doing.

What do they want?
Why are they talking to the other character?
How does their personality play into it?
How do they usually handle conversations?(ie a retard would just spaz out and talk in garbles)
What's the scene? Where do you want the conversation to go?

Then you go back and edit to make it more natural. Try saying it out loud, imagine the character saying it. If it sounds weird, if you haven't seen someone do something like that, find someone who does speak and listen to them and notice what they are doing and how they are speaking.

Usually, stories have a sort of built in feature where they make everyone a bit more verbose. They'll say things that illustrate the plot and scene, are usually unnecessary, and actually don't make sense for them to say. Drifter's episode 3 is a good example of that. That kind of dialogue means that the story has 'taken over' the characters and is using them to push it forward.
The real challenge is then learning how to balance your story driven dialogue and your character dialogue.
>>
>>8700258
You don't have to write dialogue at all
>>
>>8700258
make all your characters into robots trying to find their humanity.
>>
>>8700374
this. I have seen people get away with 5 to 100 ratio of dialogue pages vs description pages. just describe feelings and actions that can not be inferred
>>
>>8700416

Kind of tough when I'm trying to write a romance

I'm finding it very hard to ignite the spark between the two main characters in a way that doesn't seem forced.
>>
>>8700435
>romance
even better. many a romance has been written with minimum dialogue and tons of meaningful looks full of internal monologues
>that doesn't seem forced.
what do you have so far? also people will forget its forced if the rest of your shit is good enough
>>
>>8700258
Fictional conversations are different than real life ones.
>>
>>8700441

A wierd fiction romance in which a waitress catches feels for a writer that she serves on open mic night at the cafe she works. I literally cannot figure out how a normal woman in jer position would go about courting an aloof writer while at work. The only thing i can think of to break the ice is the "lol clumsy waitress" meme because I can't into conversations at all.
>>
>>8700545
She writes poetry
>>
>>8700648

But thats fucking gay anon.
>>
>>8700449
This.
>>8700663
I'm sure 90% of people wrote something in middle or high school. She just has to be SPECIAL.
>>
just imagine how you want it to go chances are it will be better than normal conversation
>>
two tips

Don't worry about authenticity. Artificiality is good

Give characters strong agency and make the effort to realize how they'd respond to situatons/ideas and how they'd clash with other characters
>>
>>8700258
Are you the same guy from the empathy thread? The answer is super simple: make the main character an autist too. I mean he's obviously your self-insert already. I'm sure you have some non-autistic associates IRL, so just bounce situations off of them and ask how they'd respond. Hell, you could even make both main characters autistic, it would probably be a breath of fresh air in a fairly stale genre.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.