[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here read this? I've been in and out of psych

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 10

File: antioedipus.jpg (126KB, 857x1400px) Image search: [Google]
antioedipus.jpg
126KB, 857x1400px
Has anyone here read this? I've been in and out of psych wards for the past 6 months and it's been a godsend for defending myself from the psychiatrists and the infringement of my rights in the mental health courts.
>>
>>8699738
I've been working my way up to it, Deleuze is like end game philosophy
>>
Really, OP? I don't what's it about, how did it help?
>>
If you're mentally ill, it's ultimately matter over mind.
>>
>>8699745
It describes sexuality as fluid flows of desire which causes production and how schizophrenics can be thought of as "bodies without organs" which basically intake desire without desiring anything themselves.

It helped me figure out what was actually going on with my situation while I listened to psychiatrists completely lie about my mental state. (They claimed I said there were people coming out of the walls to get me and that I was a danger to society when I was completely calm the whole time and thinking about metaphysical systems mostly)
>>
>>8699762
sounds legit
>>
>>8699762
maybe you should let the professionals help you with your mental illness instead of trying to undermine them with french philosophy like youre david foster wallace
>>
Read this, desu.
>>
File: delez2.jpg (19KB, 171x230px) Image search: [Google]
delez2.jpg
19KB, 171x230px
>>8699779
>help you

Nice meme
>>
>>8699779
kek yeah this guy is right OP. david wallace tried to do what you're doing and he ended up hanging from a rope with his hands duct taped together. he also had a more manageable illness than you i.e. depression which one can arguably take care of more than a person managing their schizophrenia
>>
kek

have you tried to out one of your doctors as a closeted homosexual yet?

that's the ultimate for narcissistic brainlets who think they're "too smart for this shit"
>>
>>8699762
wow you showed those people trying to convince you to behave like a responsible adult. what a man!
>>
>>8699765
It is. It also describes fascism as desire desiring it's own repression and describes how people find flags, armies, and systems of power as sexually arousing.
>>
>>8699762
Tell us more of your adventures, OP.
>>
>>8699803
>and he ended up hanging from a rope with his hands duct taped together.

So what? Are you saying there's anything inherently wrong with that?
>>
>>8699811
I wrote a book called Serotonin Deficiency where I predicted ending up in the psych ward two months before I went there for the first time. I actually posted it on /lit/ but it received no attention.

My main point was "Am I still insane if I'm aware of my own insanity?"
>>
>>8699819
lol
>>
>>8699806
I probably should have. There was definitely homosexual tension while I was meeting with them. The main psychiatrist led me to the examination area with the statement "Don't worry bud, I'm as straight as you are."
>>
>>8699826
i think this is not-pynchon doing another character
>>
>>8699762

>It helped me figure out what was actually going on with my situation while I listened to psychiatrists completely lie about my mental state. (They claimed I said there were people coming out of the walls to get me and that I was a danger to society when I was completely calm the whole time and thinking about metaphysical systems mostly)

I've been in and out of psych wards as well and the schizophrenics I met were all convinced that their doctors were manipulative liars and that they "had it all figured out."
>>
>>8699820
>where I predicted ending up in the psych ward two months before I went there for the first time.

Wow fucking Nostrodamus over here
>>
>>8699841
First time they diagnosed me was with Bipolar. Second time they jumped to schizophrenia. I told them that they could make their diagnosis better by uniting the two and calling it schizoaffective disorder.

You have to consider that schizophrenia is essentially a state of hyperarousal. When someone is catatonic the correct treatment is not to give them a stimulant like you might expect but actually to give them depressants to calm them down.
>>
Maybe everything is a hallucianation desu. Maybe the monists were right and everything is mind.
>>
>>8699796
How can mental illness be a myth if OP is real?
>>
>>8699796
You are an immortal spiritual being whose capabilities are unlimited, desu.
>>
>>8699869
How can our eyes be real if mirrors aren't real? Checkmate faggot.
>>
Didn't Delooze kill himself tho
>>
>>8699856

>First time they diagnosed me was with Bipolar

Yeah that doesn't surprise me at all. That's what I was diagnosed with after being involuntarily admitted the second time. Over the course of a few years they revised it back to depression as I calmed down. The actual diagnosis is not that important.

Psychiatrists are far from perfect people but let me tell you, the doctor who treats himself has a fool for a client. When doctors get sick they go to another doctor. When lawyers get sued they hire another lawyer. Just take your medication and please don't use any street drugs.
>>
>>8699879
deleuze killed himself not out of ideological circumstances but out of the sheer physical pain of living with one fucking lung while simultaneously suffering from tuberculosis.
>>
>>8699738
Yeah, I got about a third of the way through before having to stop. Shit was too real for me. I suspect that I'm schizo but don't want to interact with the psychiatric system.
>>
>>8699820
I can't find it in the archives but I'm interested
>>
>>8699905
Also, OP, what about the economics side of the book and your psych ward experience?
>>
>>8699891
You should've changed that to "fool as a patient".
>>
>>8699874
memes are not real
>>
>>8699916
wait, no, it should be "the psycho who treats himself has a fool for a shrink"
>>
>>8699738

Well that's not fun. Hang in there. Just tell them everything they want to hear and you'll be out in no time. Don't take any drugs they give you, but more importantly, don't give them reasons to want to give you drugs.
>>
>>8699905

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10DnlWZwZaUi_aEoOLSEaEfn83T7_wMyC4z294IEvDCA/edit?usp=sharing

Don't forget Kierkegaard also wrote about how he proceeded when what he heard did not match up with what he saw.
>>
What crimes did they try to accuse you of?
>>
>>8699762

Having cool lucid dreams and exploring alternate interpretations of reality are, when put under scrutiny of a psychiatrist, always going to look like schizophrenia.

That's why you shouldn't share these experiences with psychiatrists, but write best-selling novels instead.

And also recognize, that playing with one's reality is dangerous. It just is. You always need some sort of grounding in the real world to escape to when things get thick. Its as dangerous to the mind as going to the moon is dangerous for the human body. You need all sorts of equipment to survive.

Probably the biggest pitfall for this weird-mind stuff is ego and narcissism. You really have to watch-guard yourself, make sure you aren't wanting to believe certain things about yourself because they make you feel safe or powerful. This is where real friends or good family members advice comes in handy.
>>
>>8699946
sounds reasonable
>>
>>8699915
>>8699930
Thoughtcrime really. I was walking around a nature center when I thought I heard gunshots in the poor side of town. My mental state was very similar to that of Charles Manson; I thought there was a race war going on and I resolved to fix it by modeling my character after saint Francis of Asisi. I made one mistake by warning another person at the park about the gunshots and he consequently called the police who came and took me to the psych ward.
>>
I'm so glad a mentally ill criminal is refusing psychiatric treatment.

This should end well.
>>
>>8699950
he called the cops on you because you told him you heard a gunshot? what? something doesnt seem right in your story.
>>
>>8699950
>I yelled fire in a non-burning building and got in trouble.
>muh rights
>>
>>8699915
Also the economics tie into what I said earlier about sexuality.

Wealth that creates more wealth is sexually arousing. Deleuze writes that businessmen essentially fondle money and receive pleasure from doing so.
>>
>>8699950

>My mental state was very similar to that of Charles Manson; I thought there was a race war going on and I resolved to fix it by modeling my character after saint Francis of Asisi. I made one mistake by warning another person at the park about the gunshots and he consequently called the police who came and took me to the psych ward.

hoo boy
>>
>>8699956
He asked if I was okay and I just dismissed him with a wave of my hand because I didn't really want to talk to him. It made me come off as extremely suspicious and I readily concede that it was a mistake on my part.
>>
>>8699950

Yeah that's not good. Sounds like my brain on acid.

This interview of Charles Manson is pretty good. A good example of crazy that you don't want to be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4uT6ou_ZGw

The trick is to not act on your thoughts. Until it dies down, you have to live as if your tripping on acid in public and don't want people to find out.
Which isn't very easy.
But fortunately there are many books and music by people in similar plights.
>>
>>8699899
Yeah when you gotta go you gotta go. I don't even consider Deleuze to have commited suicide, just helping nature along
>>
>>8699970
I also borrowed from Carl Jung who described psychosis as a connection to the collective subconscious and wrote extensively about his own visions right before the outbreak of world war 1.
>>
>>8699979
I'd be more willing to get treatment if the social environment of our society wasn't in such a strange place currently. I attribute my psychosis to that. I talked about Jerusalem syndrome in court.
>>
>>8699803
DFW was analytical af tho. And it was a belt.
>>
File: 1463183573372.jpg (33KB, 670x879px) Image search: [Google]
1463183573372.jpg
33KB, 670x879px
>>8699979
>to the collective subconscious

There's no such fucking thing
>>
>>8699989
Most communication is nonverbal and results from body language and facial expressions. If you don't think the body language and facial expressions of the people around you don't affect your mental state you're a retard.
>>
>>8699995
Thats a complete non-sequitor
>>
>>8699979

Carl Jung stayed sane by always doubting himself. You can see it in his writing. He's hyper-aware of his own subjective writing.
>>
>>8700008
>Carl Jung stayed sane by always doubting himself.

That is a pathetically naive proposition
>>
>>8700002
sorry I used the word don't twice in that statement. Doesn't change my point though.
>>
>>8699989

There is though. Granted, its as meaningful as saying there is a heaven and hell or you have a heart and soul.

These terms have meaning to most humans, but at the same time, aren't very useful in situations when analytical thinking is needed. Also I think they are very simplistic and general terms, being able to describe them with real world situations and actual detail is what makes a good writer.
>>
>>8700013
Your proposition is that the fact there is subconscious communication somehow proves there is a collective subconscious. Rather than the much clearer fact that there is simply communication between individual subjects subconsciously.

As >>8700017 says its an abstract idea, a fictional representation of a far more complicated process, with no real mechanistic reality in how we think. And as such has no place in interpretive arguments in which you take as a reality.
>>
>>8700033
I think the collective subconscious is a good model for how people function as cohesive social groups.
>>
>>8699738
Yeah I've read it, and its completely incomprehensible gibberish, even for someone who can and has read stuff like Kant, Kierkegaard, Husserl, Wittgenstein, Alfred North Whitehead, Heidegger, Sartre, Alfred Schutz, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Peter Berger & Thomas Luckmann, and tons of analytic philosophers.
>>
>>8700040
Good in the same way geocentrism was a good model for how the solar system functions
>>
>>8700051
I get it, what a smart little boy you are!
>>
File: tfw no collective subconscious.jpg (5KB, 194x260px) Image search: [Google]
tfw no collective subconscious.jpg
5KB, 194x260px
>>8699989
>>
>>8699779

I think david foster wallace's buying into the psychiatrist bullshit is what killed him. American mental health theory is terrible. It just makes people more crazy.

Your better off becoming a crazy evangelical christian who believes that the world was created in seven days.
>>
ITT: OP is bonkers and tries to convince himself and other people that he is not bonkers.
>>
>>8700075
Not actually my point. First of all, being well read (and I would only say I'm fairly well read, not very well read) doesn't make one smart. If you think it does you're retarded. My post had nothing to do with that.

My point is that even for someone with background knowledge and experience in the relevant area, it is difficult to understand and basically pretentious, dull nonsense with hardly any intellectual value.
>>
>>8700108
ITT: Everybody buys into the "He was diagnosed with Schizophrenia, he's obviously bonkers." meme
>>
>>8700083
True. That's what delivered me from a debilitating nervous breakdown. The Love of Jesus.
>>
>>8700117
Yes it couldn't possibly be you're just not smart enough, protect your ego elsewhere lad
>>
>>8700117
We're mortal enemies now because you don't like a book I like.
>>
>>8699762
>It describes sexuality as fluid flows of desire which causes production and how schizophrenics can be thought of as "bodies without organs" which basically intake desire without desiring anything themselves.

This is actually an extremely accurate description and basically gives you an overall idea of how the work is written and what some of its main themes are. It's like the epitome of superfluous pseudo-intellectual garbage.
>>
>>8700127
>Being smart enough to understand shitty french IRL troll "philosophers".
>>
>>8700138
>tfw to intelligent too read French Philosophy
>>
>>8699926
thanks
>>
>>8699917
false
>>
>>8699738

>Deleuze and Guattari

lol, quoting them is probably what got you committed multiple times in the first place.
>>
>>8699779
>>8699803
>>8699807
You've clearly never been in a psych ward. Half the time shrinks don't know what they're doing. Interviews are the worst because they'll spin anything even slightly strange you tell them as crazy due to the confirmation bias of you already being in a psych ward.
>>
>>8700361

>they'll spin anything even slightly strange you tell them as crazy due to the confirmation bias of you already being in a psych ward

That's to be expected, but you should also be acting / speaking less strangely than normal on account of you're aware you're in a psych ward and need to seem somewhat sane if you want to get out. It's probably like being at a job interview in that respect, they're scrutinizing you more than you would be in a different / more casual interaction with another person, but you should also be displaying better behavior than you normally would since you're aware this is a formal situation where you're being judged.
>>
>>8700384

>That's to be expected, but you should also be acting / speaking less strangely than normal on account of you're aware you're in a psych ward

This is a fair point. If you can't even feign normalcy when you are being interviewed in a psych ward then there is no doubt that something is going on with you.

OP please take your meds.
>>
>>8700361

Yes this.

>>8700384

I think its most difficult for men that are used to being able to think freely in real life.

Its a privilege you never expect to lose, and when one does, its quite rational to go crazy and get defensive. It has to do with, for one, the condescending tone of voice they use in psych wards. Having someone tell you what to think and that your thoughts aren't rational tends to cause a negative reaction. Especially if your already on the fringe.
>>
>>8700392

>I think its most difficult for men that are used to being able to think freely in real life.

Nobody's able to act freely in real life without consequences.
>>
>>8700396
This is clearly false.
>>
>>8700451

Name one person who can walk into a supermarket, shit on the floor, murder a cashier with a box cutter, and not face any consequences for it.
>>
>>8700396

notice i said "think" freely not "act".

For example, the OP got in trouble because he "thought" he heard gunshots and "thought" he should warn a nearby person. Why did that person called the police? I don't know, maybe the OP construed his story.

But regardless, his thoughts are under scrutiny. As apposed to behavior.

This is ridiculous. If you zoom out and look at, say, political bullshit that people believe. If the right or left was in control of mental health regulations, they'd put the other half of the population in a psych ward. Or look at religious beliefs.

Some insane thoughts become so popular they are no longer considered to be insane thoughts.

But you are right, actions have consequences. Telling someone you think you heard gunshots, doesn't seem like a terrible thing. I don't think it deserves institutionalization. If its the third time the guy has heard gunshots, then that would make more sense.
>>
>>8700465

Thinking is an act. And insofar as you think without acting externally, nobody knows what you're thinking so you won't face consequences for it. It's only when your thoughts are externalized in some way through your words or your behavior that you face consequences.
>>
>>8700462

Anon said "think freely" then you substituted that for "act freely" and went on a morbid tangent with it.
>>
>>8700472

Nobody faces consequences for thinking without externalizing their thoughts in some way after. I had to use acting instead of thinking since thinking wasn't what he really meant.
>>
>>8700475

You are going out of your way to editorialize on his behalf.
>>
>>8700482

Yes.
>>
File: 1478335856190.jpg (51KB, 480x346px) Image search: [Google]
1478335856190.jpg
51KB, 480x346px
>>8699796
>Szasz
I love this guy. He began to dismantle public mental health institutions in 1950's New York state, and his peers brought hearings and tried to stop him, but he said, oy vey it's anuddah shoah, and resistance to his efforts dried up literally overnight. More than any other man, I would say that the present day homeless problem of schizo bums sleeping on the street can be laid at his doorstep.

The mental health systems are used as a covert repression method against a certain class of dissident here in the U.S., but most of the people caught in its net, 95% of them or so, are genuinely nuts.

I haven't read Anti-Oedipus yet, but it is on my list and appears to be legit. Szasz is a complete dead-end, though.
>>
>>8700469

But when your in a psych ward, you face consequences for thinking. Which is invasive and inhuman.
>>
>>8700496

Not thinking in itself unless you're claiming they can read your mind. It's only when thoughts manifest in your speech or behavior that you face consequences for (that anyone faces consequences for).
>>
>>8700496
the world is a psych ward
just think the way other people do
suck it up faggot
>>
>>8700509

The world is not a psych ward.
>>
>>8699796
That doesn't apply to schizophrenia though, it's one of the only real ones.
>>
>>8700532
What a stunning counterargument.
>>
>>8700540
That was not a counterargument.
>>
>>8699738
Just had a reading bout for like 3 hours yesterday going through alot of deleuze material. Nice coincidence.
>>
>>8700535
No it isn't retard
>>
>>8700564
t. Schizo
>>
>>8700564

Have you ever met any serious schizophrenics face to face?
>>
>>8700571

Other cultures, and some parts of the western world, don't call people schizophrenic, but possessed or tormented by demons or spirits. Instead of curing them with drugs and therapy, they have witch-doctor, shaman types do some magic rituals and shit. That or the schizophrenic becomes recognized as the villages shaman.
>>
>>8699803
>tried to do what you're doing and he ended up hanging from a rope with his hands duct taped together.
It actually was the SSRI he took
>>
>>8700595
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
>>
>>8700602
Don't bother, most schizos are like this.
>>
>>8700571
I have actually, they exist within their own framework of partial logical discontinuity, doesn't mean they're "mentally ill" you degenerate huckster
>>
>>8700602

I'm' saying western society is fucked. Our framework for dealing with the mentally ill is terrible, a product of the industrial revolution.
>>
>>8700623
Doing rituals and making them witch doctors is better? Why?

I'm sure schizos who've been able to lead functional lives thanks to meds would disagree with you.
>>
I remember reading it and thinking it was kinda cool science fiction. As philosophy, I found little applicability for it.
>>
>>8700361
ok will hunting
>>
>>8700631
>I'm sure schizos who've been able to lead functional lives thanks to meds would disagree with you.

This is absolute BS, antipsychotics are literally a chemical lobotomy

I'm sure schizos with tardive dyskinesia would disagree with you.
>>
>>8700631

>http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.2007.07071137

>Outcome from schizophrenia is routinely better in developing world settings, and this difference becomes apparent during the initial 2 years of illness. But even for developing world patients with a poor early course, outcome is superior to that of developed world patients with an equivalent early course.
>>
Full credit to OP for trolling lit good
>>
File: 1463651901617.jpg (121KB, 925x800px) Image search: [Google]
1463651901617.jpg
121KB, 925x800px
>>8700620

Whatever you say you precocious pseud.
>>
>>8700647
People who've benefited from meds do exist you know. It depends on getting doctors who aren't quacks, which is rare.
>>
>>8700631

>functional lives

Wow, I'm impressed, they've programmed them to be able to pass the captcha.
>>
>>8700657
>patients in the developing world
If these patients are categorized as schizophrenic and at a mental hospital that keeps track of such information, then clearly they aren't going to fucking witch doctors. I frankly have no idea how it's treated in the developing world but apparently it's better than here, which doesn't shock me since the money-grabbing pharmaceutical industry isn't nearly so developed there.
>>
>>8700673
https://bbrfoundation.org/stories-of-recovery/schizophrenia
>>
>>8700683

Not sure what this is supposed to imply.
>>
>>8699856
My dude, shrinks would rather kill themselves thn admit they have to treat someone with schizoaffective disorder, mostly because medicine knows shit about it.

Source: I work with a girl who had to actually pledge to our local medicine counsil that her doctor accepted she has Schizoaffective Disorder and treated her accordingly, and even after institution in question agreed, he was still adamant against it.
>>
francois tosquelles > guattari > foucault > deleuze
>>
>>8700033

>mechanistic reality

Whenever you encounter this meme you know you are dealing with an 18th century mind.
>>
File: 1423896990656.jpg (73KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1423896990656.jpg
73KB, 450x450px
>>8699762
whew lad this is some next level down the rabbit hole crazy shit right here, like how much of a pseudo-intellectual do you have to be to think that being crazy and having mental disorders is just 'next level shit brahhhhhhh'

fucking glad I stayed in the sciences rather then fucking philosophy
>>
>>8700755
We're fucking glad you did too, faggot.
>>
>>8700755
>stem fag
>believes in mental disorders

why am i not surprised?

please apply the same rigorous standards to psychology as you would to your physical sciences. pretty sure you'll find >>8699796
>>
>>8700774
psychology is a fucking pseudo-science

philosophy majors are all the fucking retards who decided they would be 'super lel edgy bro, im expanding human knowledge by surfing mein mind youre just too dumb to know it cuz ur not enlightened :^)'

at least being in stem i study the sciences that advance our species not advance your pretentiousness and sick memes about being in loony bins
>>
>>8700755
deleuze was redpilled on google before it even existed

respect
>>
>>8700755
>look mom how much I'm better than them! I'm so above them for not having to think about mental health and philosophy.
>>
>>8700797
>stem
sick meme about being in a loony bin, bro!
>>
>>8700755

I wouldn't categorize the rabbit-hole stuff as philosophy. The framework of philosophical thought is not well-suited to aspects of mental health. Literature, mythology, poetry, music are much better at handling the fringes of reality.

I left the philosophy world a long time ago. I'm a psycho-naught. WEeeeeeeeee.
>>
>>8700797
not sure if you're the same anon who posted above; but, if so, then how can you concede to the idea of most existing mental disorders when they are derived simply when one strays from the normative consensus of a herd-minded society?

also, the ideal of "progress" is a limited notion. wandering in a forward path any which way is a sign of progress. but if point 'A' is a positive path and i'm progressing to point 'B', then progress just means heading towards an incorrect error. i think it's time to turn this sinking ship around. life is rather simple (as science has shown-- i.e, attaining the basic essentials for one's survival). in other words, there is no point to which we are progressing to. mathematically minded, one knows that a point is an imaginary place. similarly, focusing on goals only limits one's outlook on life to an ethnocentric perspective.

your comment of the "advancement of the species" is purely ideological (almost a fanatical obsession). humans came out of nothing; and, like 98% of the species that once inhabited this planet, we, too, shall go extinct. i fail to see how science helps in this process aside from creating a series of distracting technologies that can soothe this existential absurdity we call life. if anything, technology is accelerating man to his own destruction as a species.
>>
>>8700797

>at least being in stem i study the sciences that advance our species

Why is every STEM guy such a naive utilitarian dullard? Yes, science is of obvious import, but if you think that is the only means through which to advance as a species then you are honestly ignorant.
>>
>>8700535
can you measure schizophrenia? is it a physical disorder? no

>>8700631
meds don't really work
ask any psychiatrist worth their salt and they'll tell you
>>
>>8700850
tell me how to think to mars

tell me how to explore and eventually colonize other planets with philosophy

tell me how to cure cancer by 'thinking deep bro'

tell me how to create clean energy and bring basic amenities to millions at a cheap cost so they can live by 'becoming uber enlightened brah'

tell me how to optimize and create buildings and technology and infrastructure to progress our civilization by thinking 'man we're all gonna die one day whaaaaaaaaaaa'

you cant seriously think becoming enlightened individuals will advance our species

>>8700846
>your comment of the "advancement of the species" is purely ideological (almost a fanatical obsession). humans came out of nothing; and, like 98% of the species that once inhabited this planet, we, too, shall go extinct. i fail to see how science helps in this process aside from creating a series of distracting technologies that can soothe this existential absurdity we call life. if anything, technology is accelerating man to his own destruction as a species.

jesus christ you seriously think that just sitting around being existential will help our species at all?

and grouping humans as another of the millions of species that have inhabited earth and died out, like seriously?

when we as a species learn how to colonize other planets (and we will do that with literally no help from mental institution patients like you) we will progress as a whole species just as we have since man became sedentary and will continue on only to where our imaginations end.

think of a person 50 years ago, he wouldnt have even thought we could be holding super computers in our hands every day or curing and eradicating diseases that plauged out species for centuries. And we certainly did not come this far by thinking all day about 'man my life sucks and everyone is gonna die so whats the point'

I know it sucks to realize what you studied will not advance our species in any form other then thinking deep about 'lyfe' but humanity does not progress off the backs of mental patients that think 'life sux'. We progress as a species by innovating and making our imaginations reality.
>>
>>8700486
> mental health systems are used as a covert repression method against a certain class of dissident here in the U.S.

explain. why not just throw them into jail under the alien and sedition act or the computer fraud and abuse act. why systematically debilitate their daily living through psychosomatichosis and tarnish their rationality?

just like a mental health diagnosis, 4chan has you here forever
>>
>>8700920
philosophy is a discussion and at best a debate and while normativity may be agreed upon, black and white thinking, goal oriented mentality that is conducive to technological """"progress"""" in society does not exist and should not exist in philosophy. if anything the latter of what I just said is being debated within philosophy.

tl:dr

you're still a naive utilitarian dullard if you can post selfies on facebook from mars.

you're entelechial principle of perfection may bring out technology that will simulatenously bring us to mars, explore planets, cure cancer, create clean energy, and progress our civilization but what difference does this make if it's as ugly and destructive as thermonuclear weaponry.

t. mental insitution patient
>>
>>8700920
>colonize other planets

TOP FUCKING KEK!

Someone's been reading too much science fiction.

> know it sucks to realize what you studied will not advance our species in any form...

You still don't get it, do you? Holy fuck, anon. Do you really think technological advancement through science automatically means more happiness for people, even though "happiness" is a completely relative term that varies from person to person and from place to place?

Anon, you need to understand how your perspective is just one of many. culture is a way of live, no the way. and a way is certainly not one for all.
>>
>>8700946
>why not just throw them into jail under the alien and sedition act or the computer fraud and abuse act.
Because these aren't nobodies I'm talking about here, and they haven't broken any laws, besides the unwritten one of do not crimethink. They are from good families, and cannot be treated like trash and dismissed out of hand without imperiling the integrity of the system, for now. Even a whiff of high function in a subject will cause a seasoned inquisitor to pull back a step and reevaluate the situation. The system is maintained by social climbers on a career trajectory, and they fill their quotas with creatures that appear to be relatively harmless to their own status and position. Every LEO, shrink, and first line responder knows another who dealt a little too reckless with someone VIP connected, who got re-assigned to a rural area as punishment. If they can't divine the true nature of the individual they are dealing with, and he doesn't present an immediate threat, they just throw him back.
>why systematically debilitate their daily living through psychosomatichosis and tarnish their rationality?
>why troll them
To get them to fuck up and spiral down into a more aggressive system of control, i.e., a prison complex, where the crimethink can be completely purged from their personality.

>just like a mental health diagnosis, 4chan has you here forever
NoWayOut.jpg
>>
>>8701072
>you're still a naive utilitarian dullard if you can post selfies on facebook from mars.

that may be so, however you cannot argue that we have not advanced as a species if we are able to do that

>you're entelechial principle of perfection may bring out technology that will simulatenously bring us to mars, explore planets, cure cancer, create clean energy, and progress our civilization but what difference does this make if it's as ugly and destructive as thermonuclear weaponry.

I suppose in the end it is simply a difference in opinions, where you see science as destructive (as it certainly can be) I see it to be progress and the future of mankind. However we cannot simply look at the negatives and dismiss a whole subject, sure we can kill ourselves at any moment and in the end we will all die but through advances in the sciences we can use new nuclear science to create energy and learn new cures to diseases and only god knows what.

In the end though it really comes down to individual opinion, where I see absurdness you see enlightenment and true nirvana and where you see death and destruction and meaningless I see new life, new futures and progress.

It is interesting to debate and see into the other sides argument.

>>8701082
>colonize other planets
>TOP FUCKING KEK!
If you truely think that then you should look into it, it is not absurd to think in the next 100-250 years we will be expanding humanity off our planet.

>You still don't get it, do you? Holy fuck, anon. Do you really think technological advancement through science automatically means more happiness for people, even though "happiness" is a completely relative term that varies from person to person and from place to place?

Never said that sciences creates happiness, it creates progress for our species.

It creates new weapons, new methods, new diseases to harm us. It brings death and destruction and brings unhappiness and hate unto many.

But it also creates life, saves newborns from causes that would have ended their lives 40 years ago, saves mothers and fathers from diseases, saves lives of millions from simple bacteria daily. It helps you move around, helps you say hello to your family from thousands of miles away in real time. It lets us know why the sun burns and brings us life, it lets us know where we came from and how life was and will be, it lets us know how reactions and physical interactions of our universe work together to create everything there was and will be.

It makes us laugh and smile, it makes us cry and languish, but in the end the sciences do not care for the individual, they care for the whole of humanity.

>Anon, you need to understand how your perspective is just one of many. culture is a way of live, no the way. and a way is certainly not one for all.

you can read what I wrote for the anon above, would be the same reply
>>
>>8701164
>that may be so, however you cannot argue that we have not advanced as a species if we are able to do that

Nonsense, all that has advanced is our arbitrary means to travel from one point to another, literally no different than Bacteria but for the dumb banality of scale
>>
>>8701180
Seriously?

Traveling to mars is the same as jacking off?

And here I thought I was arguing with someone with an interesting but different mind set, you're nothing but an edgy guy who wants to be morose and think everything is shit.

If you truly think that then I just feel bad for you.
>>
>>8700869
It's not that meds don't work per say, it's that the basically just do some other shit to cancel out whatever is bothering you and have a lot of negative side effects for you in the process. Sometimes it works out for people but most of the time it doesn't. And that's all psych meds, from anidepressants to antipsychotics. In general meds should only be used as a last resort, and half of that shit should be thrown out all together, but pharmaceutical industry is balls deep in the psychiatric, so doctors will give out drugs to anyone who looks their way just to make a bigger profit.

I remember when I was a teenager my mom and a therapist tried to push me into anxiety meds and ADHD too (didn't even have a diagnosis). They wouldn't accept any of my arguments and seemed to believe anyone who refused meds was just stubborn and ignorant. I'm so glad I held my ground on that.
>>
>>8700869
https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/evidence-that-schizophrenia-is-a-brain-disease/
>Individuals with schizophrenia have up to 25% less volume of gray matter in their brains, especially in the temporal and frontal lobes (known to be important for coordination of thinking and judgment).

Honestly I get why people say things like this for bullshit like depression or bipolar or ADHD, but schizophrenia is different. When you're vividly hallucinating and having extreme delusional thinking something is very obviously wrong.
>>
>>8701279
>https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/evidence-that-schizophrenia-is-a-brain-disease/

what type of schizophrenia were the schizophrenic patients experiencing? the schizophrenic spectrum is a really vast and somewhat vague umbrella of disorders with varying symptoms. most psychiatrists agree that "schizophrenia" is pretty much a useless term and diagnosis; it means nothing
>>
>>8701286
That's true, but all the forms of schizo have veryy severe symptoms compared to any other "disorder".
>>
The psych disorders redpill:

>dementia
Exists

>Schizo
Exists

>Bipolar
Exists but is extremely over-diagnosed

>Anything else
Complete bullshit
>>
>>8701298
dementia differentiates itself from the rest by not being a "psych disorder" but a neurodegenerative disorder (or umbrella term for such)
>>
>>8701304
Isn't schizophrenia also neurodegenerative though?
>>
>>8701312
what defines schizophrenia as being neurodegenerative? types of dementia such as alzheimers are classified as such because of actual death of neurons
>>
>>8701312

>Isn't schizophrenia also neurodegenerative though?

No. Antipsychotics cause brain atrophy though and when you see brain scans of schizophrenics showing degeneration that's the reason.
>>
>>8699738
>paranoid schizophrenic rationalizing mental illness as psychiatric conspiracy
color me surprised
>>
File: 1477433513546.gif (871KB, 200x224px) Image search: [Google]
1477433513546.gif
871KB, 200x224px
It seems really interesting, but doesn't it require a lot of previous knowledge in all of the authors that D&G have read?
Could one hop into it without any prior preparations?
>>
Does anyone know what causes schizophrenia? It tends to come out of nowhere and has very extreme and debilitating symptoms, but usually gets better when left alone for several years. It's strange.
>>
File: IMG_0129.png (336KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0129.png
336KB, 1136x640px
Hey so here's my mental institution story. I'm autistic, but got pretty darn good at poetry by studying story structure (autistically). Started rolling with a crew of very cool artistic people, but a few months in realized that they were all secretly prostitutes. But I'm a liberal guy. So you know, I roll with it. I learn more and more about socializing, get darn good at it. But underlying it all is this knowledge that all these people have a secret life which they're keeping from me, and that secret life is prostitution.

This goes on for YEARS. I start asking people if they're prostitutes. And I tell them like "hey it's ok I'm not wearing a wire or anything" "look I'll give you money if you just explain it to me" using my social powers to elevate and then destroy parties. One day it was too much. I went back to my hometown and told my mom I was thinking of killing myself. This was 11pm. I told her I didn't want to go to the hospital so late at night because I was so tired. I go in the morning, and I remember my mom came into my room with coffee and held me and I cried.

I read the whole "art of asking" by Amanda palmer. I checked it out because I thought it'd secretly tell you how to ask a prostitute to fuck you in the elaborate prostitution code I was deluding. at the hospital waiting for intake. Didn't try to slash open my arms. I get to the mental hospital after six hours and finishing the book. It was late at night. Slept in the bed, they started me on some light meds. I had sort of weird dreams.

i went to all the meetings. All of them. Every couple hours they have "talk about your feelings/what spooks you/etc." it was sort of fun, and I knew that I was giving them vital information to work with. Before I went in, I felt like the autistic kiddo I'd been in high school. But after, I realized that while I was deluded into thinking everyone was prostitutes, I'd become a little bit of a leader. People took my cues. I stopped the heroin addicts from hitting on the fragile girls in abusive relationships. I had long, intelligent conversations with the psychiatrist, who seemed to legitimately respect and understood the root of my delusion. He helped me escape it. I'm not on meds anymore, I think maybe I should be since one of the side effects is dropping blood pressure which is an additional problem, and if it can stop me being nervous sometimes that'd be good. I also went to the outpatient care which was less fun desu

Tldr, work with them you moron. They're more skilled at mind games than you. Don't speak in metaphors. Half the people they work with literally see people coming out of the walls. Tell them what you think is going on. be literal sit down and explain what is happening to you on an average day, how you're in a Manson-esq mind state & how some guy read your mind and called the cops

Writing from my phone so I won't proofread fuck u
>>
>>8701353
a lot of times there is a family history
sometimes people have i guess a type of dormant schizophrenia that manifests itself later on
>>
>>8701346
If you're used to reading "difficult" philosophy, then you might be able to just jump in, but even still it will be no easy task. For a background of the philosophers important to Deleuze, you should have at least some understanding of the philosophers he wrote books on: Nietzsche, Kant, Bergson, Spinoza, and Foucault. He also refers a lot to Hegel, Marx, Freud, and French thinkers in the psychoanalytic tradition, given that Anti-Oedipus is largely a criticism of these movements as they were dominating the French universities in the 1960s
>>
>>8701401
Nice, I'll keep that in mind.
Thread posts: 159
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.