[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just read Oedipus Rex for myself, and it got me wondering:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: sophoclesandsphinx.jpg (335KB, 485x492px) Image search: [Google]
sophoclesandsphinx.jpg
335KB, 485x492px
I just read Oedipus Rex for myself, and it got me wondering: How much of Oedipus Rex, Oedipus at Colones and Antigone was taken directly from the original myths the plays are based on, and how much did Sophocles add on his own? It seems characters like Teiresias originally had nothing to do with Oedipus' story. Trying to find more background information on the characters often lead me to sites discussing the characters in the context of the Theban plays.
>>
Not entirely related, but considering you've read it recently, what connection did Kreon and Teiresias have? I can't remember what it was exactly, and I was wondering cause I've just read Antigone. What profession did Kreon have in Oidipous Rex?
>>
>>8698384
No connection, really. Oidipus had sent Kreon to hear from the oracles how he could handle the plague which was ravaging Thebes. Teiresias just happened to be the oracle closest to Apollon, so Kreon brought him to Oidipus. Since Apollon is the god behind the entire mess in these plays, they spoke with Teiresias whenever they needed to consult the gods.

Kreon became Oidipus' brother-in-law, so he's just helping Oidipus as an adviser, I believe.
>>
>>8698336
Those three shouldn't be read as a trilogy as they weren't written and performed as one, like Oresteia was for example. They were written as much as 20 years apart. As for Oedipus before Sophocles, try Iliad XXIII 676, Odyssey XI 271, Pindar, Olympian II 72
>>
>>8699188
Thank you
>>
Tiresias is mentioned in Ovid and is the name of a Plato dialogue(?) as well I believe.
>>
>>8699918
Also appears in the Odyssey as a spectre. And in many Thebean myths.
>>
File: 1477212800184.jpg (53KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
1477212800184.jpg
53KB, 400x600px
>>
>>8699937
kek
>>
I don't think that Oedipus going to Athens was accepted canonical by most of the Greek States or Thebes; it was common in Athenian tragedy to praise themselves as being some sanctity city that always piously and principally defends defenseless suppliants as a propaganda.

There's probably 'no original myths', but simply different narratives that even in the contemporary world of Sophocles couldn't trace. The were various Epic Poems that is now described as the 'Theban cycle' that all were made before Sophocles time, that he probably drew upon and relied on some the audience knowing some of them, and some of just the essential folk-tale basics of the cycle.

Oedipus was said by different accounts to have continued to rule and not fled the kingdom either, which is different from Sophocles account.

Greek religion wasn't orthodox. There were various accounts of particular myths of Gods and Heros that could differ among people or different regions.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.