[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the hell did Knausgaard manage to basically not work throughout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: KANUAS.jpg (14KB, 220x301px) Image search: [Google]
KANUAS.jpg
14KB, 220x301px
How the hell did Knausgaard manage to basically not work throughout his 20's?

>attends writing school from 18 - 21
>NEETs around
>skips national service to work part-time at his college radio station
>moves to England for three months and lives on benefits
>spends next 5 or 6 years spending months alone in isolated cabins and manorhouses focusing on his writing

How did he pay rent?
Is Norway really easy-mode in terms of rent and living costs?
>>
But he worked like 16 hours a day for years at a mental Institute and then endlessly at the radio station. The fuck are you talking about
>>
>>8691976
Also Ya, being Norwegian is easy mode for unemployment, at least then. I don't know how you could know all you do and still miss everything else, it's like you didn't read the book.
>>
>>8691976
>16 hours a day for years

Source on this? I've read Book 5 (some rain...) and he mentions working at the psychiatric ward (near the Icelandboo girl's home) for a few weeks one or two summers, and even then he just smokes and skips his duties. And the radio station job is easy. His boss is some slacker former student and he spends his time playing some computer game with him and leaves early every day. He also worked on an oil platform, but I think that was also for a month max when he was like 25.
>>
>>8691984
You clearly didn't read book 5.
>>
>>8691979
I did read the book. Book 5 covers his twenties, and he only dedicates around 100 pages, if that, to his life after 24. He moves to England and NEETs for three months. Then he returns to live with that girl while returning to his studies (art history or something) and then sits at home writing while his wife goes to work or spends months alone writing.
>>
>>8691990
I have read book 5:

>(~)17: works at a radio station thanks to his mom's contact or something
>18 - (~) 22: attends Bergen writing academy and works at a psychiatric ward during holidays
>(~)23 - 24: works at a radio station after skipping military service, writes literature reviews for large publications
>~25 / 26: NEETs in Norwich UK for three months while living on state benefits, returns to study art, lives in Iceland for several months writing, works briefly on an oil rig
>26+: lives with his wife while writing, cheats on his wife, lives on various isolated islands in Norway on writers' programs
>30: first novel is published
>>
>>8692021
>>8691991
So both you retards just happened to skip t he part where he's working his ass off at the mental institution for years. Good board this.
>>
>>8692616
Provide evidence please. By no means did he work there for years. He worked at two institituions (one near Bergen, one near the Icelandic horserider girl's house) and hated it. Some guy there was in his late 20s and an aspiring poet and Knausgaard goes on about how he didn't want to end up like him.
>>
>>8692616
dude i read book 5 too, he worked there for a little while, and he never worked his ass off.. you trolling?
>>
>>8691976
The psychiatric ward was in Island i think? He also worked for a place for disabled people in Norway. He was also a teacher right after school. Which was a huge inspiration to one of his novels
>>
>>8691969
I was thinking about this a couple of hours ago, as I slacked at my job.

I'm only halfway through Book 1 though, I'm late to the Knausgaard game.
>>
>>8692795
You're a fucking retard mate. The second institution he works at he starts part time then later on he starts taking more shifts putting in sixteen hour days.
>>8693108
No, both institutions were in Bergen. Yes he worked as a teacher for a year on Northern Norway, yes it was influential to out of the world
>>
>>8693631
He did not work sixteen hour days for any significant amount of time.

Also he worked in the highschool when he was like 18 or 19.

KOKIDF please leave
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.