[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently realized that I have a passion for teaching literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4890.png (24KB, 321x304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4890.png
24KB, 321x304px
I recently realized that I have a passion for teaching literature and english because of this I want to become a english teacher. Are there any english teachers or people studying to become english teachers on /lit/ that can give me some information on being or becoming one?
>>
In my country the general COA is to get an English /lit/ degree first. Once you have a degree, it takes an additional year to get a teachers degree. From there it's pretty easy to find a job, and the floodgate to teen pussy opens.
>>
>>8690873
Not in anglosphere but I can tell you that the pay is shit in general and there's shitloads of work to do.

The pro is working like 7 hours at school, in some cases not even giving lessons, and you're free to do what you want afterwards as long as you meet your deadlines. Planning your lessons, revising tests, grading them etc. It's also nice to have your job focus on something you like, in this case literature and language.

If you have a plan B, I'd say go for it. It didn't work out for me because I have a lifestyle that's incompatible with being a teacher, and I couldn't sustain it by teaching anyways. I met some teachers who had other jobs on the side just so they can meet ends meet. Teaching is truly for those who are passionate about their job. Not just about their chosen subjects, but teaching as a whole, with everything that comes with that. You'll have students who don't give a fuck about your lessons, you'll have students you don't like ask you for advice etc.
>>
>>8690873
I'm an English professor, which means I have a great deal more liberty to do my job than a public school teacher. I never deal with parents, I set my own readings and assignments with almost no oversight, and most of my students want to be there and are at least 18. I'm not expected to police their fucking clothes, hair, or anything else. Teaching high school English is a much bloodier and more frustrating experience, according to friends in the public system. You're extremely vulnerable and answerable to your school's administration, parents, students, etc. Also, remember that the number of young English teachers looking for work outnumbers all other subjects put together: you are a dime a dozen, and getting a permanent position may take years and end you up in a terrible school. Everybody wants to teach English.
>>
>>8691611
How did you become an professor?
>>
>>8691620
The usual way: I got a couple of undergrad degrees (not that I needed both), got my MA, started doing TA and teaching work while working on the doctorate, and after graduating was unable to find a TT position anywhere, so I'm still an adjunct at two universities, teaching a variety of undergrad literature courses.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.