[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is poetry a representation of narrative or is narrative a representation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: skullatorthink.png (948KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
skullatorthink.png
948KB, 900x900px
Is poetry a representation of narrative or is narrative a representation of poetry?
>>
>>8689291
You don't know what representation means
>>
>>8689291

I think the essence of narrative is essentially "telling story"

I think the essence of poetry is essentially "expression"

Narrative can be (is?) poetry

Poetry can be narrative
>>
>>8689302
How am I using it incorrectly? The question is which mimics the other and thus is less real than the other. Its Platonic you dweeb.
>>
>>8689480
Plato was a dweeb
DUDE FORMS LMAO
>>
File: jpg png gif exe.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
jpg png gif exe.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>8689291
poetry is a complex simple representation of the narrative of a representative poetry see the narrative within poetry manifests itself through poetry's narration I mean the significance here signify the signifier through a significant narration
>>
>>8689480
Poetry mimics speech, narrative mimics thought.
>>
>>8689569
Interesting thesis. Care to share its inspiration?
>>
>>8689291
>>8689389
>>8689569
narrative =/= prose

thanks in advance
>>
>>8689721
Nobody was talking about prose.
>>
>>8689720
Poetry often needs to be vocalized to be activated, and indeed relies on the sound of the words for their emotive power and effectiveness. Therefore it mimics song and speech. I wouldn't be surprised if poetic traditions derived from earlier, illiterate oral traditions.
I had to assign narrative to something in order to refute OP's assumption that one mimics the other, so thought I thought.
>>
>>8689736
"yes they were"
>>
>>8689759
Thanks anon. I think I agree with you about poetry. I asked for details because the part about narrative reminded me of what Tristan Tzara wrote, that thought is made in the mouth.
Also because coupling narrative with thought make for funny variations.
>>
>>8689291
nobody gives a fuck about poetry
>>
>>8689389

Can a poem be written that is not narrative?

Or does a single word necessitate the telling of story? The calling of attention to the awareness of the awareness of reality/history?
>>
Poetics is symbolic construction which is generative of meaning(s), poetry is what we call poetics applied linguistically (orally, literary).

Narrative doesn't necessarily relate to "poetry" in any way, unless one narrativizes the process of meaning making. This is often called "theory" which is, as it turns out, is a form of poetics. All narratives are poetics, not all narratives are poetry.
>>
>>8689291
Neither, depending on the poem.
>>
Neither.

Get this freshman-tier wankery out of here.
>>
>>8689909

This is the only good post itt
>>
>>8689291
Poetry is in its own fucking world; don't mess with poetry.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.