[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where is the best point to start writing a story at? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: image_6.gif (885KB, 500x418px) Image search: [Google]
image_6.gif
885KB, 500x418px
Where is the best point to start writing a story at?

I've been planning a book for a while, and I have a ton of notes about characters and the events in the world, but every time I sit down to write it I get overwhelmed with so many places to start it.

It seems natural to start it when the conflict starts, but there's so much that happens before then that makes the characters who they how and how they got to where they are. Not only am I afraid of the readers being confused and lost, but I'm also afraid of not fleshing out the characters enough.
>>
File: eater-of-presidents.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
eater-of-presidents.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>8688336
First scene sets the tone, hooks the publishing agent and must keep the reader (a teenage girl) reading.

Here are a few ideas:

a) Often, teenage books will start by the end of the second act (where the characters are at their lowest points) and then have the following chapters as the explanation to how they got there. All carried as a story being told in first person by the protagonist.

b) Start with an incident that ties characters together, such as a murder of a secondary character to be investigated by the detectives in a police novel. Think about your favorite novels, movies and screenplays. Many start like this.

c) Start with the greeks.
>>
>>8688399
>publishing agent
> (a teenage girl)
I do like writing, but I sure do hate the industry
>>
>>8688399
Not OP but this was reassuring, because its very similar to how I've started my book.

JK Rowling (take her as you will) often uses the same trick. She gives a quick glimpse of the bad guys, or something bad happening, at the start of the story, which sets an ominous tone right off the bat, and of course, ties in with the rest of the story by the end of the novel.
>>
File: 1476068404417.jpg (33KB, 415x398px) Image search: [Google]
1476068404417.jpg
33KB, 415x398px
>>8688425
The first step to acquire knowledge is to recognize things like they really are, Feodor.

Women read more books, edit more books and publish more books. Everything has to please them to get to heaven. Specially in the age of the social justice wars.

But don't feel sad. Teenage girls are still smart. College lobotomizes them.
>>
>>8688442
That's also viable.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.