[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished Magarshack's translation of The Idiot. Pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Magarshack Idiot.jpg (485KB, 945x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Magarshack Idiot.jpg
485KB, 945x1500px
Just finished Magarshack's translation of The Idiot. Pic related. I like Dosty but I really struggled with this, especially the final third or so.

A lot of it seems to drag on with little interest, though I really liked Ippolit, Lebedev and General Ivolgin - and the stories of death and sacrifice that were present particularly in the beginning.

I really think I'm missing something since the last 200 pages or so seemed like a slog to get through. Am I a big pleb?
>>
I think it's his most jumbled and inconsistent work, so I sort of understand what you mean, though it's full of fantastic moments and ideas
>>
>>8688157
the idiot is the worst of all Dostoevsky's books. all the bad facets of his writing exaggerated and lengthened.

don't feel bad anon.
>>
>>8688157

Apparently, the new opinion is that the P/V translations are crap, but I read their version of The Idiot and really enjoyed it.
>>
>>8691160
New opinion? What are you talking about?
Also mcduff is a good option for the idiot
>>
>>8691160
>>8691182
OP here. The translation I read, though not as well known, still has a good reputation, but maybe the translation is partially the reason I didn't like it. I've never read a Magarshack before though - I like McDuff's translations usually.
>>
>>8691548
Magarshack is really well known anon. I haven't read the idiot translated by him myself but didn't like his c&p. For the idiot I've read garnett the first time and mcduff the second.
>>
The Idiot is very polarizing, don't feel bad if you didn't enjoy it in general.
>>
>>8691548
>>8691762
Oh and by the way, I didn't enjoy the idiot the first time around as much as I enjoyed the last one, but I don't think it was garnett's fault. I was younger and eager to read as much as I possibly could to burn bridges between older people and me. I read it again when I was 26 years old and loved it. I had the patience to go with what the book proposed and it was amazing.
>>
>>8691774
So tell me what you liked about it - I just feel a little frustrated that I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to (or as much as I thought I would).
>>
>>8692878
I actually enjoyed the characters quite a lot. I find Myshkin fascinating. He really is an idiot. That emotional, smart man is an idiot even though he isn't.
>>
>>8692878
Not him, but I really enjoyed the idiot. I know that it's really jumbled and not as consistent of a work as TBK or C&P, but I love the idea of the main character Myshkin. Somebody who embodies everything that is good. Almost a Christ on Earth.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.