[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Story time, /lit!/ Normally I write for money, but this one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Story time, /lit!/
Normally I write for money, but this one is for you guys... I've got an agent ect but this one just fell out tonight and I thought of you idiots.

It's a reflection on about a decade of visiting one of the most dangerous cities in asia. Read it and tell me how crap I am.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sekPVKGLzL3qRYYpziiiDeWlbKawtDUEeD9tICgmh2M/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>8685900
Can you give your agent my manuscript?
>>
>>8685900
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sekPVKGLzL3qRYYpziiiDeWlbKawtDUEeD9tICgmh2M/edit?usp=sharing
>Sihanoukville
>dangerous
I take it you never hopped the border to Laos
>>
>>8685900

Can you give your agent my manuscript, too, desu?
>>
File: dh4C1p2.jpg (105KB, 964x1024px) Image search: [Google]
dh4C1p2.jpg
105KB, 964x1024px
>>8685900

Can you give your agent my diary, desu?
>>
>>8685900

Normally, I edit for money, but this one is for you...

It's not bad, frankly. Near the end, you write:

> There's a certain breed of person that can only exist in that environment. Some are escaping the law. Others have arrived out of pure exasperation and loneliness. Others still simply want to burn out the last decade or two of their lives in a great cloud of marijuana smoke. Each expat you meet is more fascinating than the last.

and you mention the crowd "propping the bar and trading stories"

But you don't introduce us to any of these characters in any substantial way. We see the older British man feeding booze to the child prostitute, but we don't know much else about him.

We know the place can be unkind to the visitors, but all of the individuals you sketch out have no depth. If, as your conclusion, states, we are "firmly in the company" of so many willful individuals, what are their names?
>>
>>8685987
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Just a little survey or a place rather than an in-depth examination of stories and characters.
I VERY rarely write personal travelogues (even though I've been to about 17 countries this year). Not a huge fan of the genre, but this one just fell out this evening for a bit of fun. Make sure you pick up my book 'Jack was Here' when (if) it comes out, goes much deeper into this scene.

http://www.andrewlownie.co.uk/authors/christopher-bardsley/books/jack-was-here
>>
>>8685937
You'd have to send it to me first so I can have a look. Would be happy to read (some) of it, always looking to connect with other writers, we have to look out for each other!

@chriscoburg
[email protected]
>>
>>8685942
Yes, I have.
>>
>>8686006
What do you have to do to get cool with the locals there?
>>
>>8686041
Turn up with an open heart and a sense of adventure. I have been visiting that part of the world for many years, though.
>>
>>8686060
You need to know any of the language at all?
>>
>>8686127
Nope pretty much everyone speaks english over here. Very easy part of the world to travel/live in. It's also EXTREMELY cheap. I'm actually in Cambodia at the moment, finishing off the next book.
>>
>be anon
>have a life
whew
and I thought only retards like me posted here
>>
>>8686180
Nice, whats the gist of the book your working on?

How dangerous is it actually? I have heard once from someone who visited those parts, about children walking around with machine guns, marjunana or mushroom pizza chains and this crazy liqueur I forget the name of. Many years ago when I was much younger I was real attracted to that whole, backpacking around southeast asia thing, but the danger aspect turned me off I guess. How currupt are the cops on average? are there many businesses, is it that dangerous?
>>
>>8686180
are you in like a resort town?
>>
>>8686212
>>8686228
Really not dangerous at all. Just exercise a little common sense and you'll be fine. I'm in Phnom Penh, heading down to Sihanoukville (of course!) Cops are fine in Cambodia- they won't pester you. I strongly suggest travelling- the more people you meet the better your writing will be. Go Thailand (easy!)-Cambodia(wild!)- and Laos (Relaxing). I Promise you won't regret it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.