[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like to spend more time reading, but I'm lazy as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Schine-t_CA0-popup.jpg (34KB, 466x500px) Image search: [Google]
Schine-t_CA0-popup.jpg
34KB, 466x500px
I would like to spend more time reading, but I'm lazy as fuck and I spend too much time playing video games and shit. How do I fucking buckle down and read something of substance?
>>
Movement, I recommended this in other threads to anon's because I read business psychology. Literally moving your body to another place like the library or a nice chair and starting to read can quickly make it a habit. As for 'I don't want to's' or 'not now's' you just have to keep removing excuses.
>no time
do it for 3 mins
>not here
find somewhere
>but reading is boring
find a book you actually care about
>it takes too long
set a timer
etc.
Same theory can be applied to addictions or procrastination. Your feelings only last a short amount of actual time in your brain, the rest is just you ruminating and remembering that feeling, so take action right now and get a book and move your ass.
Also, you only have about 3 seconds of actual consciousness that you have to do this for before your brain starts shifting gears. If you can commit for three seconds, you can do it.

As for videogames themselves, they have a huge influence on the subconscious as far as stimulation goes so you will likely get very bored reading. I suggest trying to overwhelm your senses during reading such as imaging the text illustrated in your mind on a white board, trying to keep a sense feeling in your mind as you read, or concentrate on your breathing.
gitgud
>>
>>8685235
Start simple... Try The Pearl by John Steinbeck. Its only about 100 pages.
>>
I have overcome your problem and feel somewhat qualified to give advice, but before that I need to ask this question: Do you want to read? or do you want to want to read? I suppose another way of expressing this is asking why you want to read?
>>
>>8685267

There are books that I want to read, I see the merits of reading, and I think reading is the greatest use of one's leisurely time.

I also have a huge list of philosophy and literature that I want to tackle.

I mean, there's no reason why I stopped reading Nietzsche's Zarathustra, when I like the poetry, the philosophy, and love the man. I just put it down and didn't pick it up again.
>>
>>8685235
Others might not agree, but try audio book, while you are playing video game, may not be able to focus on it all though, but if you miss chunks can always rewind
>>
>>8685235
Hey, I used to be like you. Read in your bed, read during commutes, read literally anywhere you can. Instead of using social media, read. Read, read, read. You'll get into the habit eventually.
>>
File: 345.jpg (25KB, 463x325px)
345.jpg
25KB, 463x325px
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
File: Test-A24.jpg (206KB, 1400x480px)
Test-A24.jpg
206KB, 1400x480px
>>8685287
It sounds like you don't actually enjoy reading the kinds of books you want to read. I am not referring to the satisfaction of having read something, or the enjoyment of thinking about the ideas of the book, by "reading" I mean only the literal act of sitting down and reading a book. This is true of many people (most people on this board), and it does not preclude you from reading. My suggestion is to really be aware of why you want to read something. You mention that you have a lot of works you want to tackle, but it seams less like you want to read them and more like you want to have read them. I am also basing this on your mention of the "merits of reading", it seems like accessing these qualities is your goal. This is even further evinced by your statement "buckle down and read something of substance". I think that you have espoused a perception of what books have to offer that is very limited, I think this happens to a lot of new people who come to this board. The /lit/ viewpoint is largely that books are conceptual goldmines plunderable only by the highly intelligent, this board often misses the fact that reading is supposed to be fun. It is an activity that can yield immense joy to almost anyone. There are many ways of doing this and I am trying to state the importance of understanding the way that will work for you. This is very long winded, and I don't know how much sense I am making, so here are some suggestions:

Read a variety of books to come to an understanding of what you like (this includes books from outside of /lit/, read sci fi, nonfiction, short stories, anything and everything).

Try to read conscientiously and disengage yourself from other stimuli, when I feel distracted by the presence of my laptop, phone, homework, other people, etc. I just leave it all at home and go read somewhere outside. Focusing fully on a single task is a good practice for any activity.

Find other people to read with. If you are a student go and talk to your English teachers outside of class, they will be thrilled to hear your thoughts on a book. Discussion is often the best part of art, why else would everyone be on this board?

Let me also say that just because you don't enjoy reading something does not mean that you cannot derive satisfaction from interacting with the book's ideas, it just means that it will be work, that you will actually have to "buckle down". I did a lot of this when I first started reading in highschool, but over the last year or two I have only read works that I enjoyed reading, and naturally my habits moved towards those more complex or cerebral books. Now I can thoroughly enjoy the act of reading something that a year ago would have been a slog, and because I enjoy it I get much more out of the experience overall.
>>
>>8685901

Also this is not as cut and dry as I am making it out to be, this is just a sort of general guide. There have definitely been times when I couldn't really tell if I was enjoying a work, or times when I didn't enjoy something at first but came to love it by the end, or even times when I knew I wasn't enjoying something and I stuck with it because I wanted to explore a concept. All I am really saying is that I think reading can be a ton of fun and I want everyone to experience it.
>>
>>8685901

I really appreciate all what you have written. I think you have completely hit the nail on the head. I will have to learn to enjoy the books I want to read before reading them. I just have to jump into more fiction, I guess.
>>
>>8685380
>read during commutes
This helps me immensely. I usually have to ride the train for 20-30 minutes and its perfect for reading a few pages or even a chapter or two of a book. Plus you're not wasting your time by awkwardly looking around or reading about le cucks xD on your phone.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.