[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brothers I've read 2 parts of Crime and Punishment so far

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1365475090228.jpg (418KB, 747x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1365475090228.jpg
418KB, 747x1417px
Brothers I've read 2 parts of Crime and Punishment so far and I've heard it's highly philosophical but I really don't see much philosophical writing rather than Dostoevsky just writing about the events that occur and furthering the plot, with a few instances of self reflection thrown in. Does it get deeper as the story goes on?

I'm not saying I'm not enjoying it, I am.
>>
>>8684621

Is this a troll chart?
>>
>>8684649
I sure hope so, the whole chart is total pleb baby crap.
>>
>>8684655

It's in the sticky. I guess it's out dated
>>
>>8684649
>>8684655
It's for plebs just getting into reading. That's what "starter kit" means.
>>
>>8684621
It's a novel, not a treatise. The ideas underneath move the plot but it's still a story.
>>
>>8684684

It's not for plebs to get into reading. If they want to read, they can just pick up whatever books they want. The chart is for getting into /lit/erature. It's supposed to be accessible stories which are complex enough to exercise your (supposedly weak, since it's for beginners) literary analysis skills. It's meant to create an introduction to reading for and thinking about themes, symbolism, character development, and style.
>>
>>8684721

>clockwork orange
thoroughly average novella written to show off an invented language, later adapted into a reddit film

>lord of the flies
thoroughly average novel later adapted into a reddit simpsons episode

>american psycho
thoroughly average novel later adapted into a reddit film

>one flew over the cuckoo's nest

>brave new world
thoroughly average novel later adapted into many reddit comments about contemporary society

>the great gatsby
thoroughly average novel later adapted into reddit film

>do androids dream of electric sheep?

>"""""""""""""""""""literature"""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>8684736
such a reddit-ish post
>>
>>8684736
>I read the complete works of Shakespeare when I was 27 and a half months old
>>
>>8684736
you are right though, those are not very 'the classics', not the very refined and dignified
>>
>>8684832
projection brah
>>
>>8684736
Someone should take your comment and turn it into a reddit film you mouth breather
>>
File: IMG_0749.jpg (57KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0749.jpg
57KB, 500x641px
>>8684736
>if I just append Reddit to anything I don't like I've proved it's trash!
>>
>>8684621
Stick with it mate, there's quite a bit of exposition and the philosophical themes grow with the novel. You also have to examine them yourself in the actions of characters.

Philosophies are often in the form of soliloquies from various characters. Mostly
Raskolnikov speaking to Sonia
Porfiry(mostly in the end)
Peter
Raskolnikov's mother
Svidrigailov
Sonia's character and Razumikhin's character

Also focus on the relationship between Raskolnikov, Svidrigailov, and Peter. Now how they interact with each other, but as characters. They are reflections of each other with variations in their philosophies
>>
>>8685432
>now
*not
>>
>>8685432

Thanks man, I'll be sure to keep all this in mind while reading
>>
>>8684621
This book saved my life.
>>
>>8684736
I was about to get triggered but you didn't mention Lolita, Invisible Man or Siddhartha.Then I realized you probably haven't read them. Then I got triggered because you're a pleb.
>>
>>8684621
I guess you don't understand the function of fiction.

The point in showing over telling is that expessing an idea through character interaction/reaction is much more organic than feeding you a bunch circle-jerk spoonfed ideology and exposition.

Lrn2read, OP.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.