[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it still possible to become a "philosopher" and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1458188513586.jpg (36KB, 462x579px) Image search: [Google]
1458188513586.jpg
36KB, 462x579px
Is it still possible to become a "philosopher" and to go down into the philosophical canon these days? It seems like no one writes large philosophical works these days, like most of the big names in the past.
>>
yes, u just have to philosophize
>>
All the good philosophies have been taken.
>Is it still possible to become a "philosopher"
yeah.
>and to go down into the philosophical canon
nah.
>>
>>8683871

No. All the big work is being done in the applied sciences and all the ground that you might want to cover with continental or analytical philosophy has been done by the Indians far earlier and far better than you will ever do.
>>
>>8683880
That's a bit of a stretch
>>
>>8683880
>All the big work is being done in the applied sciences
Science doesn't think.
>>
>>8683878
Not OP, but I thought this at first too.

But when you look at the great philosophers/ies, they all seem so simple to us today. But back in time, they were revolutionary ideas that nobody had ever thought of/explored.

You just have to come up with something revolutionary, think outside the box.
>>
>>8683871
yes, ask guys like rawls/singer
>>
>>8683871
All philosophy is is sorting existentence
Find an area which is not yet looked into so much and you'll be hailed as its pioneer
Or make up new words for old theories and you'll be hailed for revolutionizing the way we think

It's always been this way
>>
>>8685074
But there are philosophies that deal with inside and outside of every dichotomy drawn in philosophy. There are literally no more boxes to think outside of.
>>
>>8685972
People have been saying this exact thing throughout history and about philosophy, music, literature, and visual arts. It's a misguided way of looking at things.
>>
>>8685980
Art historian here. We finished art a good 30 years ago. Everything "new" is just a rehash forever.
>>
>>8685990
>We finished art a good 30

I thought it was 2000 years ago? What happened 30 years ago?
>>
>>8686002
Computers.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.