[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are characters in today's young adult fiction allowed to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: ya.jpg (106KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
ya.jpg
106KB, 500x333px
Are characters in today's young adult fiction allowed to say "fuck"? What about the rest of the seven dirty words?
>>
>>8681076
I suppose girls are allowed to say "tits".
>>
>>8681076
They say "eff" instead.
>>
>>8681076

Young adults IRL don't even say "fuck". It's considered uncool to swear.
>>
>>8681096
>It's considered uncool to swear
I'm surprised to hear this. It didn't use to be that way. Are you talking about present day US middle-class suburban teens?
>>
>>8681076
>The Fault in Our Stars next to The Fault in Our Stars Audiobook Box Set

Great image t bh
>>
>>8681076
What are the other 6? Is one of them "niggerfaggot"?
>>
>>8681109
It's not necessarily uncool, but it comes with the whole 'le im so ironic' thing, where hell because heck, fuck becomes fruck or something to the likes of that, etc.
>>
>>8681087
>eff off
>>
>>8681139

No, it used to be an ironic thing, but now it's "sincere" because that's what's cool now.
>>
>>8681129
Close, but no cigar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
>>
>>8681129
goddamn uncultured kids on my board...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMkNsMMvrqk
>>
I remember reading young adult fiction published between 2005-10 that had those words. But they were mostly novels from Australia or UK, I don't know about the US.

Scandinavian YA can be extremely crude, not only in language but also with rape, violence and tons of racist slurs (from the antagonists at least)
>>
>>8681215
>Scandinavian YA can be extremely crude
Can you explain why? I thought Scandinavia had a sort of hugbox mentality about how to raise kids.
>>
>>8681213
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
>shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits
So, it's actually six words: shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cock, tits. You can't argue that "no, it's specifically cocksucker because a cock can be a chicken and that's allowed to be said" because when you say "pistol" you say "piss" etc.

Carlin was such a hack
>>
>>8681233
Kids aren't really shielded from harsh realities in their teens. I guess it's connected to the progressive school policies we've always had. We're the opposite of the Abstinence-only sex education in more religious countries and we have the same "openness" with all issues (racism, bullying). Trauma and nastiness is shown for a deterring effect.

Also many teachers are very passionate about getting the kids reading, and it's easier selling edgy shit to teens.
>>
>>8681157
>>8681109
Once you hit your twenties and higher, you start to realize that swearing all the time just makes you look like a mongoloid.

If you don't, then you're a mongoloid
>>
>>8681087
No wonder kids prefer their Homestucks to published literature.
>>
>>8681311
Swears are still very important. There's a reason why 'cuck', fuck, dick, cunt, etc. are all four letters and guttural and have spread across the world.
YA is just supposed to be more 'refined' so even if you have rape and incest and evil rape incest parents saying 'fuck' is a no-no.
>>
>>8681271
kys
>>
>>8681109

Depends on the neighborhood.
>>
>>8681279
>>8681215
What is the edgiest YA book you'd recommend?
>>
>>8681096
>It's considered uncool to swear.
As someone who was once a young adult, this is false
>>
>>8681311
I agree but it entirely depends on the company and time. If im at home having a beer with the boys, ill be as crude as I like
>>
>>8683770
I think >>8682085 is right about it. It depends on where you lived, your and your friends' parents' social class, etc.
>>
>>8683469
A Game of Thrones
>>
>>8681096
Actual young adult here (20 is young adult, right?). It depends entirely on the company. If I'm with gamer-type friends then every second word is fuck, with the dudes swear words are very much still present, but not as much, and with the more closeted, insular types there's very little swearing if any. Then there's the fucking shit-cunts that obnoxiously insist on saying "heck" and "dang" and "sheez" instead of actual swear words, but use them in every sentence. But where I am people very very much still swear, using real swear words. And the Cherub series was the only YA fiction I read and it had plenty of swearing IIRC.
>>
>>8684663
>20 is young adult, right?
There's some disagreement about that. Libraries in America define "young adult" as 12 to 18.
>>
>>8681109
>>8681954
>actually taking an anon's random post at face value

Boy you mindless drones just suck up any information without question don't you?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.