[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

would the bible still be considered such an important book without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: royal-tenenbaums-old-custer.jpg (88KB, 967x412px) Image search: [Google]
royal-tenenbaums-old-custer.jpg
88KB, 967x412px
would the bible still be considered such an important book without all the interpretations that were given to the text during the centuries? in other words, did the authors mean all those deep philosophical, psychological and literary interpretations that were attributed to it? or is it all due to the dominance of monotheistic religions and the consequent infinite reads and rereads of the bible? for example, reading genesis, the text to me seems really simplicistic. there are no characterizations, no details, no explanations. it reads like, i don't know, a random mythology about the creation of the world that someone created without much effort, a bit like greek mythology just much less creative
>>
>>8678642
This post needs more ellipses between every "question" (read: veiled statement of fact)
>>
>>8678642
I'd argue very much so yes. Christianity (and by extension Islam) was never pre-determined to wash over most of the World. It was afterall in the beginning a minor sect of relatively irrelevant minority religion within the Roman Empire yet it managed to inspire millions of followers not simply without the aid of power institutions of state but in direct opposition to them.

Say what you will about the legitimacy of religious belief but there is something in the teachings that held so much power and that is what the purpose of all those interpretations over the centuries sought to find out.
>>
>>8679268
>Christianity (and by extension Islam) was never pre-determined to wash over most of the World.
"And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Matthew 24:14
"And he said to them: Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation." - Mark 16:15
We could even go back to places in the Old Testament like Isaiah 49 and Zechariah 2 where the conversion of the Gentiles is prophesied
>>
>>8679520
You're mistaking what I meant there. I mean there was no material force that was determining Christianity to rise against which the content of the message was simply circumstancial. That is the message itself was integral to its rise
>>
>>8679533
Oh, in that case those verses support your argument
>>
>>8678642
>did the authors mean all those deep philosophical, psychological and literary interpretations that were attributed to it

would you give us an example quote from the bible together with its "deep philosophical, psychological and literary interpretations"? because it is not clear what you exactly mean unless you illustrate it
>>
You're asking whether the Bible is deep or whether we've made it deep through mining it so persistently?
>>
Have you ever gone to the story forums on the world of warcraft site where dedicated fans try to justify or ascribe deeper meanings to blizzard's increasingly half-assed lore? That's kind how it is.
>>
>>8679552
Yes
>>8679543
A plebian example at this link: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/whats-in-name/201108/all-about-eve
>>
>>8679542
they really don't, they bring up the fact that it might not have been the message that was integral to its rise but the aggression with which it was pushed.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.