[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People in the cave could easily compare their own flesh to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: cave.jpg (116KB, 900x508px) Image search: [Google]
cave.jpg
116KB, 900x508px
People in the cave could easily compare their own flesh to the shadows, devise a theory, and realise that they're seeing a projection. Plato was a fucktard
>>
The cave was a metaphor for another cave where your mother is being raped
>>
>>8670609
lmao being this fucked up
>>
>>8670609

Never having left the cave, how could they know what a theory was? How could they know a valid theory from an invalid one?

How could they know that a difference between the shadows and themselves was an incongruence if they never knew anything else?
>>
File: 1477142950719.jpg (68KB, 785x469px) Image search: [Google]
1477142950719.jpg
68KB, 785x469px
Hey, everyone. I just finished up with the Republic today. Any suggestions for which edition of Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics I buy? Maybe, the Joe Sachs edition (Focus Philosophical Library Series)? Also, if anyone could help me with a .pdf or something, I'd be very thankful.
>>
>>8670609
They could have easily just told him that it didn't happen like that in history. The priest was a fucktard
>>
>>8670646
Whoops, forgot to mention, I finished the Republic with the Bloom edition, which I really enjoyed
>>
>>8670617
Verification and Falsification of representations.
The main use of a theory is its ability to make predictions. How accurate it is in those predictions is the determining factor between theories.
For our cavemen, what they have access to are shadows and so all their theories are limited to predictions on the shapes of the next shadows. The guy that escapes the cave represents the access to more sensory data. The guy who escapes now have to create theories to which makes predictions on what he now sees.
For example the invention of a microscope allows us to escape the small cave of making theories that are limited by our own naked eyes but now we have to make theories using what we see under the microscope.
>>
>>8670646
Not sure on editions but be sure to check out the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy and the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, they often have good bibliographies with recommendations of editions and stuff

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-ethics/
http://www.iep.utm.edu/aris-eth/
>>
>>8670681
Thank you for the resources, I'm currently previewing the Sachs edition on Google [who seems to have written the article you've listed under your iep.utm.edu link], and this work already seems a million times more difficult than when I was reading the Republic. -_______________-
>>
>>8670673
what exactly do you want to say?
>>
>>8670673
Neato
>>
>>8670673
>The guy that escapes the cave represents the access to more sensory data
I'm not going to call myself an expert on Plato, but this sounds like a massive misinterpretation, or at least a bad reduction. Escaping the cave is supposed to represent leaving the physical world of shadows and mentally entering the world of ideas (represented by mathematics and with the true light that is given by the Sun/the very idea of goodness). Having a microscope is merely a different way of looking at shadows, a worthless thing.
>>
>>8670692
Same anon as from here, I'd also like to know if anyone has a recommendation on a good Politics translation for Aristotle. My dad's coming to visit me (I live in Asia) and it takes me a month to get a book from BookDepository, so I'm trying to stock up.
>>
>>8670909
Stock up on some Ancient Greek textbooks desu
>>
>>8670976
>Ancient Greek textbooks
This would be really enjoyable, but I'm already learning (classical)Chinese and I've got a large list of texts that I've still yet to read in it (Zhuangzi, and such).
>>
>>8670609
Their flesh would be the same substance as the shadows, so no, they could not. You are a fucktard for taking the metaphor too literally.
>>
>>8670609

it's an allegory, and as with any allegory, a great deal of the data of real life is lost when it is rewritten in allegorical terms. so critiquing this or that oversight on Plato's part only shows your own ignorance of literary devices.
>>
>>8671081
I'm pretty sure it's just a shitpost. Maybe you should check your own knowledge of rhetorical devices desu
>>
>>8670609
heres your (you)

shitpost better next time. this one is too obvious
>>
>>8671070
>>8671081
Maybe its just a shit allegory if it falls apart at the tiniest bit of scrutiny?
>>
>>8671097
>If I take apart the allegory, I take apart the argument as a whole
The only reason he needed an allegory was to explain what would have no doubt gone completely over your head otherwise. Though it seems he didn't succeed, I think that's your fault and not the allegory's.
>>
>>8671097
The point isn't to hold up to your autism. It's a tool to convey an idea which is clearly a little over your head.
>>
>>8671111
>>8671115
>So, like, thanks to my awesome, totally not retarded allegory, now you can see that only us awesome philosophers can see the world for what it is, meaning that you should make me a king or sum shit pham
What a complex, deep idea, Plato!
>>
>>8671129
>Hurr, I have the reading comprehension of a retard
What a complex, deep post, OP!
Closing this tab after posting this because OP does not have the required nature to look at The Ideas Themselves
>>
>>8671138
>you don't GET it, mom! STEM is for idiots and losers, my philosophy degree makes me a natural king of all men!
>>
>not knowing what metaphor is
>>
File: 1477758484435.jpg (44KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
1477758484435.jpg
44KB, 550x535px
>>8670609
>unironically being this autistic
>>
>>8671193
>projecting
>>
File: 1477414262203.jpg (76KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1477414262203.jpg
76KB, 1080x1350px
>>8671111
quads confirm it
Theory of Forms is still shit though
>>
>>8672699
Why? It's the basis for any realistic solution to the problem of universals and Plato set the terms of the debate.
>>
>>8671432
*tips fedora*

The Bible is literally true in its entirety.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.