[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone here /philosophy/? I need some assistance in understanding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: leviathan.jpg (14KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
leviathan.jpg
14KB, 195x259px
anyone here /philosophy/?

I need some assistance in understanding Hobbes's Leviathan. I found it interesting as a structural framework of how we operate in a sovereign, but I could use some help in critique.

I think It's obvious that Hobbes was quite idealistic in its leanings in comparison to Machiavelli's Prince. Any discussion would be helpful
>>
>>8667878
Try science, retard
>>
>>8667885
oh, ok lad.
>>
>>8667878

Indeed, good sir.
Have you perchance heard of Samuel Harris?
>>
>>8667878

read rosseaus discourse on inequality. acts as very good complement to hobbes since it takes the position that society inherently creates inequality, the primitive man of nature being one that lacks the worries and ailments of modern society.
>>
File: 1446387749069.png (821KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1446387749069.png
821KB, 707x1000px
>>8667885

looks like someone got lost on their way to reddit,
>>
>>8667916
Reading now, this part definitely speaks to me.

>The great antiquity of the laws which makes
them sacred and venerable, that men soon learn to despise laws which they see daily altered, and that States, by
accustoming themselves to neglect their ancient customs under the pretext of improvement, often introduce greater evils than those they endeavour to remove.

I think this can be applied to European sovereign societies right now, with the advent of progressvism.
>>
>>8667885
*tips*
>>
>>8667878
Hobbes makes a critical error; he based his theories upon the assumption that the natural state of man is to be alone, solitary, isolated, and that society must be 'imposed upon' him.
This is false; the natural state of man is social and society is natural and instinctive.
>>
>>8668106
But the natural order he describes isn't isolated as much as it is anarchistic, he doesn't deny the social as much as he denies benevolence, that humans are intrinsically and primally selfish.

It's also not mutually exclusive, by opting into a sovereign commonwealth you are still victim to the laws of nature.
>>
>>8668114
But he is incorrect; the family unit is inherently cooperative and people naturally form hierarchies.
>>
http://oyc.yale.edu/political-science/plsc-114/lecture-12

https://leostrausscenter.uchicago.edu/course/hobbes-leviathan-and-de-cive-winter-quarter-1964
>>
>>8668242
But couldn't be argued that the family unit is opting into a sovereign commonwealth just on a micro scale? Once again, I think that the distinction you make is binary, that a commonwealth is removed from nature when it is a square inside a circle in a sense.
>>
>>8667916

>Rousseau

Literal Last Man par excellence.

>>8668106

You got it the wrong way around.

Even then, Hobbes was somewhat far from the mark. The natural state of man is to bent other men to his will, or be bent to the will of a higher man.

>>8668262

That's pretty much Hobbes' point. God at the top, then the sovereign, then the social hierarchy, then the familial hierarchy with the father as its patriarch.
>>
>>8668458
Hobbes was a closet atheist. He explicitly said that man's creation (the state) is superior to God's creation (man) in the first fucking chapter of Leviathan. The whole shit on the eccliasistical commonwealth was just Cartesian misdirection so the church wouldn't come after him.
>>
>>8667878
>I think It's obvious that Hobbes was quite idealistic in its leanings in comparison to Machiavelli's Prince. Any discussion would be helpful

No, they're just concerned with different things. Machiavelli is advising a sovereign on the practical use of political power and Hobbes is analysing the foundational nature of the state; of course the latter is going to be more theoretical.

>>8668106
No he doesn't. The "state of nature" is a fucking thought experiment which Hobbes uses to prove the necessity of human society.

>>8668458
>Even then, Hobbes was somewhat far from the mark. The natural state of man is to bent other men to his will, or be bent to the will of a higher man.

Again, Hobbes would agree with you (the first part, not the second part -- he doesn't believe in "higher" and "lower" men). Hobbes says that men naturally seek to dominate others for reasons of fear and status.
>>
>>8669135
If Hobbes believes that all men are equal then why does he insist on his sovereign state having a dictator?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.