[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

He's really not THAT bad. Is hating John Green just a /lit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

File: john-green.jpg (33KB, 320x321px) Image search: [Google]
john-green.jpg
33KB, 320x321px
He's really not THAT bad. Is hating John Green just a /lit/ meme?

>"Eileen," her mother said. "Honey. You let the car roll in the lake. Nobody stole the car. I just got a call from Mrs. Wolstetter. You didn't set the emergency brake and you didn't put the car in Park. It rolled across the Wolstetters' lawn into the lake."
>"Park, Eileen?" Louis's voice was glassed-in and adenoidal.
>"The little 'P' on the far left? N for Neutral? P for Park?"
>"Louis," their mother said.
>"Or is it N for No and P for . . . Proceed? D for Desist?"
>After this trauma Eileen could no longer retain information about where Louis was or what he was doing.
>>
File: 1476849662847.png (201KB, 317x275px) Image search: [Google]
1476849662847.png
201KB, 317x275px
dude cereal lmao
>>
>>8666211
His prose is fine for YA but people hate him here because of his cuckold politics.
>>
>>8666211
This is from Franzen.
Do you get off on trolling prose critics?
>>
>>8666211
On a serious note, rate this of his
>>
>>8666271
>>
>>8666271
This reads like a teenage Californian girl recounting gossip. All that's missing is the "like" tic.
>>
He thinks literature and art in general should be PC.
>>
>>8666271
>>8666277
I don't recognize anything resembling real people in this writing, they're like bad anime characters
>>
>>8666271
this can't be real
>>
>>8666271
>>8666277
what the fuck?
>>
>>8666271
>>8666277
>>8666279
>>8666282
>>8666313
>>8666324
>>8666327
DO I!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

is this even real life
>>
>>8666271
>>8666277

His prose feels like really really clunky. Lots of commas or hyphens in places where it would feel better to just let the sentence breathe. These really bizarre, interrupted sentences are contrasted really harshly with those really short sentences he throws in there as well. Idk if I'm making much sense, but it just didn't have much of a rhythm to it.
>>
>>8666441
t b h the rhythm is the only redeeming virtue imo senpai
>>
>>8666451
retard
>>
>>8666507
It's literally the only semblance of style in the prose. I didn't mean to imply it was good. "virtue" was a bad choice of word.
>>
>>8666513
Hahaha sorry dude i was being facetious i respect you + your opinion
>>
>>8666441
Its an attempt to mimic thought. As in, like, stream of conscious.

As in, like, what authors have been doing since the modernist movement.

People obviously like it, because this is how most good-selling YA novels (that aren't dystopian/sci-fi/fantasy) are written.

I personally don't see a problem with it. It's a stylistic choice.

There are many other criticisms against John Green's writing that are much more valid senpai
>>
>>8666211
He's honestly no worse than most other YA novelists but is sadly a literal cuck
>>
>CRASH! We got a Golden Retriever!
>>
He's a spastic lefty that writes YA
>>
>>8666313
>I don't recognize anything resembling real people in this writing, they're like bad anime characters
>implying anime characters aren't real people
>>
>>8666277
What does beeg mean?
>>
>>8666549
Nice reddit spaces.
John Green does nothing well.
>>
> Q: I've recently been reading a lot of fiction along the lines of Franzen, Egan, Foer, Wallace, etc. And I can't help but realize that your writing style is no less good than theirs, and that young adult fiction, while undoubtedly very important, perhaps does not deserve your full attention. I know you started writing the noir, but are there any plans to release a non-young adult book?

>A: Interesting question.

If I’m doing my job, my work stands up to DFW and Franzen and Egan no matter where it gets stocked in bookstores. But frankly, I’ll never be as purely gifted as those writers. There are, however, YA writers who are among the world’s best living novelists: M. T. Anderson and Markus Zusak, for instance.

I don’t really think novels for adults have inherently different themes from YA novels (like, Egan’s Good Squad is functionally a kind of coming-of-age story, albeit not one about teenagers. And David Foster Wallace is certainly very popular with teenagers).

I like publishing the way I publish partly because it reminds me that books are supposed to do something other than just prove to the reader that the author is intelligent. (I don’t think that criticism applies to DFW or Franzen or Egan, but too much literary fiction is merely clever.) I’m very prone to that kind of self-indulgence, and honestly it is only when I am writing for teenagers that I feel like I am doing work that is useful.

And that’s very important to me: Writing novels takes a long time, and it’s completely impossible for me to do it unless I feel like the thing I’m working on is going to be helpful to people.

Maybe to my discredit as a writer, I like to make stuff that is useful more than I like to make stuff that is beautiful.* In short, I write because I share DFW’s belief that books can actually make human life better. For me, at least for the conceivable future, that means writing YA novels.**

And I don’t feel like you’re taking the easy way out if you read my books. There’s plenty of room for both Franzen and me. Reading isn’t an easy way out. Watching NCIS is an easy way out.

* although of course books are seldom useful unless they are also beautiful.

** I mean, of course I am not saying that adult fiction is not helpful: DFW’s work, for instance, is extremely helpful to me on a literally daily basis. I just mean that I personally feel most useful, as a writer, when writing books about teenagers. And readers, at least thus far, seem to agree.
>>
>>8666211
The blank, affectless stare common to cucks infested with the cat brain virus. No lie.
>>
>>8666271
>>8666277
holy... i want more
>>
File: 1474468673323.jpg (56KB, 750x815px) Image search: [Google]
1474468673323.jpg
56KB, 750x815px
>>8666211

John Green is the end-result of Wallacian New Sincerity. /lit/ really liked the idea of New Sincerity, thinking it would give them an out from the eleven layers of cynic irony they usually submerge themselves in, However, once they realized that sappy, soft, banal sincerity really is sappy, soft and banal, they were disgusted at the notion that the loss of irony would also mean the loss of their self-perceived superiority.
>>
>>8667216

Of course, Wallace realized this consequence of his oeuvre already in 2006, after the publication of Looking for Alaska. It took him two years from this to muster the courage for suicide, which was necessary, seeing what he had done.
>>
>>8667216
New Sincerity gets shit on all the time on /lit/, no one here takes the notion seriously
>>
>>8666277
I'd rather watch anime desu
>>
>ITT a bunch of people way outside the target demographic criticize work for not being palatable to them

Well gee I wonder why

Though you know what, I bet you all are going to say "even when I was 12 I would not have liked this" because you're all super smart fedorabeards
>>
Hell, it's good enough to sell
>>
>>8667247
When I was 12 I didn't like John Green though.
>>
>>8666892
"big"

i.e: your teenage cock is really big
>>
>>8667247

When I was 12 my favourite books were about war or physical courage. I don't think JG would have appealed to me much.
>>
>>8666271
>>8666277
I have seen better prose in philosophical works...

>For my part, when I enter most intimately into what I call myself, I always stumble on some particular perception or other, of heat or cold, light or shade, love or hatred, pain or pleasure. I never can catch myself at any time without a perception, and never can observe any thing but the perception. When my perceptions are removed for any time, as by sound sleep, so long am I insensible of myself, and may truly be said not to exist. And were all my perceptions removed by death, and could I neither think, nor feel, nor see, nor love, nor hate, after the dissolution of my body, I should be entirely annihilated.
>>
>>8666211
His books have the same depth of the ramblings of a teenager smoking pot for the first time
>>
>>8667392
>If one day I am died, I am make dead
Fucking retard
>>
>>8666794
Nah, he isn't lefty. He's just a shitty neolib, who wants nothing more but to uphold the status quo
>>
Can we all agree if we ever become famous authors, we will just relentlessly shit on John Green in our interviews?
>>
>>8666901
YA is fucking Xronos

There is no Zeus.
>>
>>8666271
>>8666277
Give John Green a break. This was his first published novel, so obviously his style hadn't fully developed by then. If you're going to cherrypick passages do so from his later works.
>>
>>8666211
>twilight tier writer
>not that bad

can't believe I am responding to this bait 10/10
>>
>"The thing Alaska did next scared and shocked and surprised me in a way nothing had ever ever scared or shocked or surprised me until that moment, a moment which lasted no longer than one sharp intake of breath but one I have no doubt will last my entire life. She said 'I love you'. Not 'You're cool' or 'I had a really fun time' or 'Do you always kiss like that?' I love you. As in 'I, Alaska Young, love you, Miles Halter'. As in 'I Alaska Young have not only noticed that you Miles Halter exist but I positively adore the fact that you do'. I exhaled. Alaska did too and for the first time I realized she was as scared as I was of admitting the way she felt. I stepped forward and held her hips. 'Are you sure?' I asked. 'I think so!' she replied, smiling. I must have pushed her backwards because just then her body nudged the lightswitch and the room became as dark as my life was without Alaska in it. Laughing, she slipped out of my grasp and disappeared somewhere inside the room. I reached out like a blind man searching for the object that might grant him sight. Truly, I was Looking for Alaska."
>>
>>8666901
>There are, however, YA writers who are among the world’s best living novelists

someone needs to stop this man
>>
>>8668164
oo careful there your mask of ironic superiority and contrarianism is slipping
>>
>>8666271
DO I?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
>>
File: 1396333_300x300.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1396333_300x300.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
>>8667247
When I was 12, I read about the Baudelaire orphans.
>>
>>8667247
When I was 10 I was reading Virgil and Ovid in the original Latin and also fucking your sister. Your move.
>>
>>8666901
>books are supposed to do something other than just prove to the reader that the author is intelligent.
>I don’t think that criticism applies to DFW

>DFW
>Not self-indulgent
And but no.
>>
>>8670187
All hail Count Olaf
>>
>>8670198
>and also fucking your sister.
As Zizek would say: Mother.
>>
>>8666211
This is the lit version of /v/ of course we need a bogeyman that everyone else likes which we should hate

Although putting a cigarette between your teeth and not smoking as a metaphor is the gayest shit ever
>>
>>8670764
It's a metaphor written by someone who has obviously never smoked. You never hold the cigarette in your teeth, it would get damp. You hold it with your lips.
>>
>>8666271
>>8666277
Holy...I don't want more
>>
>>8670187

>tfw no cute drug addict wifey
>>
>>8668164
I'm going to start a beef with Bret Easton Ellis and he'll be unable to keep himself from responding and propel me to stardom as the brat-prince of postmodernism.
>>
>>8667247
When I was 12 all I did was play video games, and being a male, I probably wouldn't have read a romance novel anyway.
>>
>>8670769
I sometimes wonder if it was meant to be a cigar, but someone told him that gives you throat and mouth cancer.
>>
>>8667247
Confession time:
When I was 12 I read YA novels similar to this because I found them titillating. I'm a straight male.
Father, I am sorry for these and all the sins of my past life.
>>
>>8667247
But when I was a kid, I was a fedora.
If someone has that "I like gommunism :DD and sonic" spurdo pic, that was actually pretty much me. Wouldn't have liked John Green desu.
>>
File: 1438031449018.jpg (11KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1438031449018.jpg
11KB, 300x168px
>>8666271
>>8666277
This reads like it was his own fantasy growing up. He's the guy who was so fucking useless no American girl would talk to him so he had to get a barely literate Romanian to suck him off in his little fantasy. I usually hate the guy but now I just feel sorry for him.
>>
>>8667216
Post irony is the true successor.
>>
Has anyone else read John Green's poetry? It's actually pretty good, much better than his novels:

You who desired so much--in vain to ask--
Yet fed you hunger like an endless task,
Dared dignify the labor, bless the quest--
Achieved that stillness ultimately best,
Being, of all, least sought for: Emily, hear!
O sweet, dead Silencer, most suddenly clear
When singing that Eternity possessed
And plundered momently in every breast;
--Truly no flower yet withers in your hand.
The harvest you descried and understand
Needs more than wit to gather, love to bind.
Some reconcilement of remotest mind--
Leaves Ormus rubyless, and Ophir chill.
Else tears heap all within one clay-cold hill.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.