[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I explain Nabokov's Lolita to my parents/relatives/friends,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: lolita.jpg (52KB, 480x296px) Image search: [Google]
lolita.jpg
52KB, 480x296px
How do I explain Nabokov's Lolita to my parents/relatives/friends, my dear friends?
Having this certain book in my good old bookshelf will most certainly raise some eyebrows and questions.
>>
>>8665064
If you don't know how to justify it, then you were probably too dumb to own it in the first place
>>
>>8665064
I can 100% guarantee you that it won't. Anyway, haven't you made this thread before?
>>
>>8665094
No i have not
>>
>>8665749
Then it was some other 14 year old.
>I bought Lolita, am I le cool 4chan pedobear yet xd
>Mom's gonna freak xd

You're all the same, the lot of you.
>>
Your parents/relatives/friends are plebs if they don't know or understand Lolita. Leave them.
>>
two words:

"the prose"

you say you're not reading it to get a boner but because the guy who wrote the book uses a lot of words that start with the same letter in succession and there's a good rhythm to what he says as he describes all this sick shit.
>>
File: 411cUfHqodL.jpg (26KB, 314x500px) Image search: [Google]
411cUfHqodL.jpg
26KB, 314x500px
>>8665064
You buy this instead, and enjoy the other fantastic novels too for a better price per novel.
>>
>>8665770
Even if I was a pedo I don't think that book could arouse me.
>>
>three words, mom: epic pedo lulz
>>
>>8665064

Explain to them that Lolita was a whore and that Humbert Humbert did absolutely nothing wrong
>>
File: 1460352466809.png (366KB, 992x802px) Image search: [Google]
1460352466809.png
366KB, 992x802px
>>8665778
Chapter thirteen, though.
>>
Its really easy. This response will work shut down any pair of raised eyebrows concerned by your consuming any kind of media that features controversial content:

"Watching the Godfather isn't an endorsement of organized crime, and not everyone who reads Lolita is a pedophile."
>>
>>8665840
>...and all the while keeping a maniac's inner eye on my distant golden goal, I cautiously increased the magic friction that was doing away, in an illusionional, if not factual, sense, with the physically irremovable, but pyschologically very friable texture of material divide (pajamas and robe) between the weight of two sunburnt legs, resting athwart my lap, and the hidden tumor of unspeakable passion.

Chapter about a middle aged man reaching orgasm from a 13 year old girl grinding on him. I mean its still great, even with the context and the creep.
>>
>>8665855
Lolita is an endorsement of paedophilia by the main character though and The Godfather is probably especially popular reading among mafia members.
>>
>>8665064

You're 16 or this is bait
>>
I'd suck her toes.
>>
>>8665064
People who think Lolita is controversial are people who don't understand the book.
>>
>>8665064
Crash! Mom found Lolita on the shelf!
>>
>>8665855
>"Watching the Godfather isn't an endorsement of organized crime, and not everyone who reads Lolita is a pedophile."
you fail to see that hedonist despise being caught, by other hedonists, with materials for explicit pleasure.
>>
File: 1451355917211.jpg (90KB, 1667x915px) Image search: [Google]
1451355917211.jpg
90KB, 1667x915px
>>
haha lolita teehee
>>
>>8666333
I also fail to see the relevance of this comment. No offense man, but I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
>>
Lmao
>>
>>8665771

But Library of America editions have bible thin pages, which I hate.
>>
>people still think liking adolescents is pedophilia
>>
>>8665064
Most people don't read so most people won't question the book Anon.
>>
>>8665064
don't be a puss
>>
>>8665778
I am and it does.
>>
I don't see why you have to explain it. I really don't.
>>
>>8668100
le this
if they can have children then why the fuck would it be abnormal to be attracted to them
>>
>>8668530
It's not even about having children, my girlfriend didn't start bleeding until she was 14 but she was absolutely sexual and curious before then. She's the one that hit on me in the first place.
>>
>>8666248

god what an awful writer
>>
>sympathizing with Humbert
>completely failing to understand the books intention

everytime
>>
Plebs will always ask about the plot and I assume OP's friends are plebs so I see his/her/xir/zir/them point.
>>
How am I supposed to read Pale Fire?
>>
>>8666248
That section was not very good. Nabokov tries to be flowery with the lewdness and it just makes it sound gross and stupid.
>hidden tumor of unspeakable passion.
Ew, Nabokov-senpai, stop.
>>
>>8665064
>Having this certain book in my good old bookshelf will most certainly raise some eyebrows and questions.

no it fucking wont

no one knows what the content of this book is

you could read it in the front row of a classroom and no one would bat an eye because PEOPLE DON'T READ
>>
>>8670078
you're wrong m8

now the ending fight scene, that was schlock
>>
Basically say literally anything except >>8668100 and nobody will care
>>
>>8670108
>he thinks it's pedophilia
>>
I got put on a pedo watchlist for checking out both the book and the movie at my local library
>>
>>8665064
Just don't, who cares. If you're friends with someone as versed in literature as you are then just explain it to them however you like. Otherwise don't bother explaining it to someone you don't think is going to get it.
>>
File: 1447554476225.jpg (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1447554476225.jpg
75KB, 800x600px
How do I explain Lolita to my parents/relatives/friends, my dear friends?

Having this girl on my arm will most certainly raise some eyebrows and questions.
>>
>>8670078
>>8668910

It's parody. I bet you people don't like Zappa either.
>>
File: 1444504863054.gif (349KB, 303x318px) Image search: [Google]
1444504863054.gif
349KB, 303x318px
>>8670235
>not a flat chest
>>
>>8670235
old hag
>>
>>8670095
I liked it. The struggles and the goofiness of it all while still being kind of fun. You can really feel the exaggeration as it goes on, and by the end I was kind of rolling my eyes, with Quilty coming down the stairs and stuff.
>>
>>8665064
"It's a world literature classic"
There you go OP, that's all you need.
>>
>>8665064
People who actually read wouldn't judge someone for reading Lolita, the ones who don't read won't know a shit about it, I don't see the problem.
Besides, people don't usually check the books on your bookshelf unless they really like books.
>>
>>8670089
this desu
>>
>>8670139
You're joking right? Nowadays I'm not even sure anymore.
>>
>>8665064
just say it's about an old man raping a young girl, if you're friends and family are too pleb to get why that would make great lit and haven't heard of nabokov they shouldn't be in your life
>>
Explain to them that it's actually one of the worst of Nabokov's novels and suffers acutely from him choosing to write it entirely in English. Nabokov is simply a better Russian writer than an English one. Tell them you're just reading it for the meme points.
>>
>>8670078
>Humbert tries to be flowery with the lewdness and it just makes it sound gross and stupid.
Fixed that for you. Jesus Christ, anon. Don't confuse Humbert's style with the author mocking him.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.