[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://biblehub.com/matthew/15-17.h tm >Don't you se

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: jesus.jpg (56KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
jesus.jpg
56KB, 600x449px
http://biblehub.com/matthew/15-17.htm
>Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body?
>But the things that come out of a person's mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.
>For out of the heart come evil thoughts--murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.
>These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.

Isn't this really bad advice? Why would Jesus give advice that would lead to centuries of disease transmission from eating with unwashed hands? Was he just trolling?
>>
>>8664051
Unwashed hands is a backhand swipe at Jewish purity laws as defining holyness, not hygiene. Its the basis of Paul's arguments against works as a means to salvation.
>>
>>8664051
The people who wrote it didn't know much about modern standards of hygiene
>>
>>8664062
I am currently in bible college and i can confirm this.
>>
>>8664062
>>8664086
What books can I read for this kind of exegesis
>>
>>8664216
ulysses
>>
>>8664062
This, it's about internal vs external holiness.
He isn't saying that you shouldn't wash, he's saying that washing does not make you a good person.
This ties into the idea that being a gentile, a slave or a woman has no effect on spiritual life. Jews considered gentiles as unclean people. The pagan world saw slaves as people who were just born into slavery and belonged in the slave class. The pagan world and Israel saw women as very inferior, stupid etc. (although Israel had a much higher view than its surrounding nations).
In the New Testament, Jesus breaks down those barriers and the focus is on faith, love and the individual as opposed to works, rituals and the nation.
>>
>>8664216
Almost every historical criticism. Right now I am ready Elaine Pagel's "Beyond Faith", which compares John and Thomas, and she suggests that John is an actual attack on an extant Thomas, but she is far more famous for The Gnostic Gospels, which is a masterwork. Also, Bart Ehrman's Introduction to the New Testament has a lot of James vs Paul stuff which is relevant (this is not one of his hack moneymaking books). Also Burton Mack is masterful in his handling of the synoptics.
>>
>>8664216
Most works of Historical Criticism accept that Jesus was trying to reform second temple judaism, not start his own religion. Look into Vermes Story of the Scrolls as an insight into the Qumran community which may have been connected to James the Just and John the Baptist.
>>
>>8664062
>Its the basis of Paul's arguments against works as a means to salvation.

how do you figure? do a man's works not proceed out of him?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.