[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If the world is Will and Representation, how is askesis possible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

If the world is Will and Representation, how is askesis possible? Obviously it cannot be found at the level of Representation, since individuation/objectification is the root of strife and sorrow, yet the Will is blind striving and Schoppy thinks of askesis as lack of Will, lack of individuation, etc.
>>
>>8663721
meditate on art, according to him
>>
>>8663722
Yet he thinks ideas (the things art deals with) are still representation, just at the most basic level (but still plural, still individuated).

Another thing I don't get: why is Schopenhauer labeled an idealist? I know he works "within" the German idealist framework, but he says Will precedes Representation, and while the world-as-representation will die with the subject, the will-in-itself will still exist. This seems pretty materialistic. Even though he implies that the laws of nature, the history of the universe, etc. are representation (formed by us according to the principle of sufficient reason), he doesn't think the thing-in-itself comes from the mind.

I think it's because Marxists and other materialists are so committed to their view of the world that works according to laws that they are "subjects who have forgotten themselves" (- Schoppy) and are blinded by their rationalistic hubris.
>>
>>8663721
women, am i right XD?
>>
>>8663758
Is Schoppy considered idealistic? His proto-psychoanalytical concepts are pretty materialistic as you pointed out.
>>
>>8663819

Pretty much every German philosopher up to Nietzsche was an Idealist.
>>
>>8663823
Nietzsche's materialist aspects were simply an extension/re-interpretation of Schopenhauers thought. The focus on the physical, will to power and so on, all contain their roots in Schopy. Nietzsche cutting ties with his sensei just pronounces the similarities.
>>
>>8663721
>yet the Will is blind striving

Is that statement so absolute? All wills, only, are absolutely blind striving? The blindness 'represents' the thought that the will 'wills' itself by using representations and we assume, the representations cannot be absolutely perfect, therefore, blind?

How valuable was askesis accordingly?

He believed, the highest value, was for the will, to as much as possible, or only, askesis?
>>
>>8663721

"Askesis: the practice of severe self-discipline"

This sounds like he pretty much thought, it would do a person better to have some systems, knowledge, work ethic, to be contained, grounded in some way, instead of just being a will running free seeking whimsical pleasures and desires

Pretty much sounds like just the intuitive reaction to nihilism.
>>
>>8663856
Read Schopenhauer
>>
>>8663973
Looking to chat with OP and others about the OP, thanks for contributing to the conversation. I cant possibly understand any concept being discussed and I certainly cannot have a discussion in this thread, having a philosophical discussion being the only thing I am seeking to do, unless I first read a tome, thank you so much you &%$#@%*!%*%#@%*!%*%#*!*#
>>
>>8663973
>&%$#@%*!%*%#@%*!%*%#*!*#

Use your will to represent what that means
>>
>>8664026
Back2Reddit
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.