[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good reading plan for Shakespeare? Are they any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: MTE1ODA0OTcxNzgzMzkwNzMz.jpg (295KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MTE1ODA0OTcxNzgzMzkwNzMz.jpg
295KB, 1200x1200px
What's a good reading plan for Shakespeare?
Are they any particular editions you recommend?
Is there any prerequisite reading I should do?
>>
Start with "Don't"
>>
>>8663166
This
>>
File: check em christ.jpg (94KB, 535x600px) Image search: [Google]
check em christ.jpg
94KB, 535x600px
>>8663188
>>8663166
>>
File: 1477318672881.png (658KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
1477318672881.png
658KB, 1024x687px
There are no real prerequisite, just get a good edition (Oxford, New Cambridge, Arden are the preferred choices).

As for reading order, there isn't such a thing. You can read them in "chronological" order, generically, or even thematically. You can start from whatever play you like. Of course, that's not to say that that is the best way to go about it.

I recommend you start with simple one, like Romeo and Juliet or Richard III, and then go for whatever. Perhaps doing a basic comedy would be good too, but most of them have rather complex plots (in comparison to the tragedies, for example), but I guess the early comedies would be a good choice.

I would also recommend reading a commentary on the play after reading it and thinking about it. Personally, I found Bloom's The Invention of the Human and Goddard's The Meaning of Shakespeare excellent reads, but you may also read Van Doren or Kermode.

Also, do watch a stage production/film adaptation. There are a lot of good ones on the internet (look for torrents of the Globe productions, or other famous adaptations like Pacino's . Merchant of Venice). Avoid RSC productions though, they are never as good as the Globe's.
>>
I'd recommend watching a play or filmed version then reading the book. That way you get a sense of the story and then can dive more deeply into the text. You are likely going to miss a few things since you're not familiar with his themes so read some criticism but only afterwards.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.