[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, I've been interested in philosophy for quite a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 149188-004-E9F3D5B9.jpg (18KB, 306x450px) Image search: [Google]
149188-004-E9F3D5B9.jpg
18KB, 306x450px
Hello,

I've been interested in philosophy for quite a long amount of time, but I've set it aside until now as I believed I wasn't exactly mentally developed enough. I still think that I've not advanced exactly far, though further than where I was when it first crossed my mind as a something I'd like to devote a large amount of my time to.

The question that I would like to ask is, are there any papers or books that deal with understanding philosophy, as in, the most objective way as to how to understand and or digest what you come across in philosophy and so on.

With that, even though I believe that I might be skipping a bit, which philosophers deal with self reflection and ways of thinking, though when I say ways of thinking I'm not exactly certain as to what I'm looking for, as my knowledge in this field is extremely limited. Probably something along the lines of critical thinking without it crossing in the biased territory right away.

I'd like to thank you in advance for any replies.
>>
>>8656524
...start ...with ...le ...greeks
>>
>>8656524
Philosophy undergrad here.

If you're looking for a book then what you're looking for is Russel's introductory book "The Problems of Philosophy".

You will also have to find resources on logic, critical thinking and principle of charity in order to think in philosophical manner. My university is not in English so I can't suggest you too much here but "Thinking from A to Z" is a good English book to start thinking critically.
>>
start with "sofie's world" :3
>>
>>8656536
Seconded, really is a very good book. I don't much like Russells ethics, but there's no denying his writings on logic and general philosophy are top ranking.

OP, if you read, and then liked, "The problems of philosophy" consider Russells "History of western philosophy" which is REALLY long - 700 pages, but each chapter is <25 pages, so its easy to pick up and read a chapter or a few.
>>
>>8656536
>The Problems of Philosophy
This is exactly one of the things I was looking for, I'll make sure to check it out, thank you, though are there any parts of the book which you really think have affected you in some way?
>Thinking from A to Z
This also seems like something very close to what I'm looking for, though it's quite new, could that affect the quality of the work compared to older, similar books, or is it should I start with it because it's possibly not that complex?

Once again thanks!
>>8656551
Alright, "The Problems of Philosophy" is the first book I'll be picking up for sure. Thanks!
Are there similar, also good books covering this topic which I should get along with it?
>>
really you would better start with greeks
>>
>>8656551
>History of western philosophy

rejected subtitle: Look at those continental poopyheads
>>
Start with Sophie's World, it's a good introductory book they also use that book as reference on universities
>>
>>8656583
>>8656537
Does it cover similar topics as "The Problems of Philosophy"?
>>
You really should start with the greeks
>>
>>8656582
It was a good book, but I agree his analysis of everything kant-and-afterward was pretty poor. He got Kant wrong and Nietzche wrong, and I think he got Hegel wrong but it's hard to tell. However, the 3/4 of the book before that is well written.

Also it's pretty funny with some top banter.
>>
>>8656536
>recommending bertie rustle ever
>>
>>8656524
go full autist and read copleston's eight volume history of westerm philosophy instead. medieval section is to die for.

or rather, just read an intro book on ancient greek philosophy and some myths then read the presocratics then sophists and so on. spend a year or two or even more on them. its all worth it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.