[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books that make you hate a person when they say it's one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1148.jpg (36KB, 331x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1148.jpg
36KB, 331x499px
Books that make you hate a person when they say it's one of their favorites.

Pic related
>>
Hush, hush. The main characther is the ultimate mary sue and the love interest makes me feel icky, plus the writing is awful.
>>
>>8656229
Gravity's Rainbow
>>
File: 1472299302867.jpg (279KB, 1010x1022px) Image search: [Google]
1472299302867.jpg
279KB, 1010x1022px
>>8656229
Infinite Jest
>>
>>8656229
the stranger

bob dylans music
>>
File: unadulterated shit.jpg (176KB, 299x475px) Image search: [Google]
unadulterated shit.jpg
176KB, 299x475px
An economics student I know unironically loves pic related.
>>
>>8656383

What's wrong with this? You a commie?
>>
>>8656361
Hey fuck you man, It's not my favorite but its great
>>
File: 1475252587030.gif (2MB, 320x181px) Image search: [Google]
1475252587030.gif
2MB, 320x181px
>>8656378
>bob dylans music
>>
>>8656398
>its great

Memechon fanboys, everybody
>>
>>8656383
>MBA candidate here
>Love this book, some parts I disagree, but overall its an amazing read
>Commie friend that works for the State looks at me with disgust when I casually bring out this book during a meal

Whats wrong with you people? why does everything has to be a fight and everyone has to choose a side to defend to death?
>>
To Kill a Mockingbird

>"I haven't read since high school"
>>
>>8656383
Maybe you should try getting a degree in something as usefull so then you can also stop being a commie faggot.
>>
>>8656782
>atlas shrugged
>when I casually bring out this book during a meal
You just casually lug around that doorstopper?
it's almost as big as the titan it depicts on the cover; that's how I know your story is fake.
>>
>>8656837
Sometimes I read big books, what of it?
>>
>>8656862
>friend looks at me with disgust when I casually bring out Gravity's Rainbow during a meal
the "casually" gave it away boiy
>>
>>8656229
(((The Bible)))
>>
>>8656383
I have a friend who fucking loves everything Rand wrote but considers herself to be a communist. Her mother was a schizophrenic, so she might not be all right in the head though.
>>
Hate is a strong word but there are a bunch of books that make me think less of a person. I have a bunch of acquaintances who keep shilling The Secret and similar shitty self-help books.
>>
>threads that make you automatically assume the OP is underage

>>8656229 related
>>
>>8656229

Harry Potter
>>
>>8656394
>>8656785
bourgeois capitalist scum
>>
>>8656782
Dogshit is considered disgusting by most people. It shouldn't surprise you if they get angry at you for "casually" bringing out dogshit during a meal.
>>
>>8657321
>what a wonderful meal with company
>I'll just take out my 800 page retard manifesto for some casual reading
>oh no no, don't mind me, I always read on social occasions!
>of course it's communism, we shouldn't HAVE to put airbags in our cars. It's my right.
>of course you could live on only squirrels, you just need to make a bow and arrows

Anthem I hate the most. It's so fucking stupid.
>>
>>8656782
Who the fuck casually brings out a book during a meal? Are you autistic?
>>
Any of my favorite books.
>>
>>8656394

your retarded post is exactly what's wrong with that
>>
>>8656229

Is Brave New World and Geroge Orwell works cringey?

I loved Brave New World.
>>
Any pot-boiler or supposedly deep, yet obviously contrived work, like To Kill a Mockingbird
>>
>>8656229
Any YA fiction.
>>
>>8657117

Harry Potter is the gateway drug that retards use to try to fake flying the geek flag. A literal cancer for those of us who actually enjoy art that asks for sacrifice from those who truly seek.
>>
>>8659222

Truth confirmed, and not just by the numbers.
>>
The Waste Land, my favorite book.
>>
>>8659258
>art that asks for sacrifice from those who truly seek
What are you taking about, anon? Are you in a cult? You don't have to drink the cool-aid, there are hotlines that can help and what not.
>>
Anything by Ezra Pound

I just know he'll be an insufferable asshole
>>
>>8656935
yeah I agree with this

if they name one of the individual books of the bible, I think that's okay
>>
>>8659825

Have you ever even met anyone who has read anything by Ezra Pound? Serious question.
>>
>>8659258
You're assuming too much.
Normal people like Harry Potter.
You consider yourself better than most people because you read philosophy and literature with passion and effort to understand the ideas in depth.
Therefore, all that read Harry Potter are wannabe intellectuals?
Come on, open your mind a bit. There's a lot of reasons why someone could like Harry Potter. They dont have to be wannabe-nothing necessarily. Im not against generalisations, but this one is just stupid.
And no, I haven't read Harry Potter. Only the 6th and 7th book, twice, when I was 15. But still.
>>
>>8659825

>I just know he'll be an insufferable asshole

AKA Patrician.
>>
>>8656229
Atlas shrugged
>>
>>8660067
I think the difference is if you've read anything else or not. Someone who stopped reading after high school would only have experience with Harry Potter and other YA, and possibly some actual literature from school, which was most likely not read. But if you've actually attempted to read the classics, and still prefer YA, it's evidence of a low quality person.
>>
>>8660697
Do you really think that every "high quality" person who only read Harry Potter and Hunger Games would fucking love DFW or Pynchon or whoever is a patrician author of the week if given a chance?
>>
>>8660697
Agreed.

I'm >>8660067
>>
>>8660722
No, you don't have to love every author. But what you should be able to do is appreciate objective quality. I've read some classics and been able to see their quality, but didn't enjoy them as much as others due to my own tastes. If someone has repeatedly tried to find something they enjoyed among the classics and failed, it's more likely that they just don't have the intellect to appreciate them. There are a variety of different styles that I believe contain something that could satisfy anyone.
>>
>>8660052
yes

I live in a major city
>>
>>8661130
I like this anon.
Are you 27 years old?
>>
1984, the favourite book of every pseud.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.