[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a recomended order for reading Vonnegut? I'm almost

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_4705.jpg (199KB, 1293x1208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4705.jpg
199KB, 1293x1208px
Is there a recomended order for reading Vonnegut? I'm almost done with Mother Night (my first of his books) and I can't decide what to order next.
>>
>>8655357
Yes, stop right now.
Vonnegut has no discernible talent
>>
read them in order i guess since he has characters reoccur
>>
>>8655357
Breakfast of champions, Slaughterhouse 5, and Cat's Cradle and then stop
>>
Mother Night is a good place to start. Then perhaps: Slaughterhouse-Five, Breakfast of Champions, Bluebeard, Timequake to get an overview of his career.
>>
>>8655362
>>8655384
Fuck off

>>8655397
>>8655393
I should add that I'm pretty sure we're reading Slaughterhouse 5 in my lit class later this year, so that's not an option right now. Cat's Cradle would be next in chronological order, should I just go with that?

Is The Sirens of Titan (written just before Mother Night) worth reading?
>>
hello my fellow redditor :DDDD
>>
Vonneguts cool and all, I'm not one of those e/lit/ist that pretends he has no talent.

But it is weird that he is the favorite author of all hipsters. Every time one of those trendy fucks bring up books at a party (lol), it always leads to Vonnegut without fail.
>>
>>8655432
The Sirens of Titan and Piano Player are closer to traditional pulp sci fi. Interesting to see his development but not essential.
>>
>>8655492
Thanks! I think I'll just go with Cat's Cradle. I wasn't aware when I made this thread that I started with his first "notable" work, so it would only make sense to go in chronological order from there.
>>
File: plebbit ethos.png (12KB, 1449x114px) Image search: [Google]
plebbit ethos.png
12KB, 1449x114px
>>
Is he worth it after having read stuff that's generally considered way better?
I feel like if I read him now it would be a step back into entry level stuff. Some of his stuff seems pretty cool tho
>>
File: 1476835312641.jpg (35KB, 405x540px) Image search: [Google]
1476835312641.jpg
35KB, 405x540px
>>8655357
best place to start is the trash desu

>>8655447
bukowski is the hellboy of literature
>>
>>8655663
Literature isn't a mountain climb, you're allowed to read crappy stuff too if you wish.
>>
>>8655601
Yeah Cat's Cradle was my favorite book when I was ~15 so I'd say go with that.
>>
Vonnegut is literally the reddit of authors
>>
Anyone who thinks Vonnegut is talentless which I don't think I can reasonably convince I guess should probably read "Bunker Bingo Party". It's a couple of pages. Try it.
>>
>>8655700
But I don't wanna read crappy stuff
>>
>>8655964
nobody here is good at writing or literary in the ways you want to be literary, people post to express and reinforce intellectual insecurity, it's like r9k with books.
this is all fine, but is it a crowd you want to mold yourself to please?
it seems sort of like going to /fa/ cause you want to dress well--you're gonna end up with a set of tastes that reflect those of a community made up of people you never wanted to be like
>>
>>8655979
Let the truth be known
>>
>>8655979
I agree that a lot of /lit/ posters are just insecure dudes trying to reinforce their intellectual insecurity. I don't have any desire to please them. But there are some people who have good taste and know what's good.
I just want to know if he's any good
>>
>>8656029
> i dont care for your opinion faggots but i am asking anyway
mong
>>
>>8656039
I said a lot, not all, buddy.
>>
>>8655474
Lots of people read Vonnegut, and I think that's the easiest books talk to have with people who do and don't read.
>>
>>8656046
You should have no difficulty is Vonnegut is considered good by most people who have read him.
>>
>>8655357
Mother Night was my first Vennegut. It was also my last. I found the book to be juvenile, simple, and basically reddit for lack of a better term.
>>
>>8655601
Sirens of Titan is actually considered his best by a lot of people so don't skip it.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.