[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WTF is his problem? Why is he being so ungrateful to the Nobel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 11

File: bob.png (3MB, 1145x1514px) Image search: [Google]
bob.png
3MB, 1145x1514px
WTF is his problem? Why is he being so ungrateful to the Nobel Prize Committee? He is giving all of us Americans a bad name.

>Per Wastberg, who chairs the Nobel Committee for Literature 2016, described Dylan's lack of response to the accolade as "rude and arrogant."

> Bob Dylan angers Nobel authorities for being silent Bob Dylan angers Nobel authorities for being silent
6 Hours Ago | 00:38
Singer-songwriter Bob Dylan is known for being uncomfortable in the spotlight. But, following his elusiveness after being awarded the Nobel Prize for literature earlier this month, the authority behind the award may now be having second thoughts on their decision.

Speaking late last week to Swedish television channel SVT, Per Wastberg, who chairs the Nobel Committee for Literature 2016, described Dylan's lack of response to the accolade as "rude and arrogant."

Last week, the musician's website removed its mention of the prize. Wastberg commented to SVT that the news was "hardly surprising. He seems to be a very grumpy and reluctant man, and I didn't find it surprising at all."
>>
File: 1476450119088.jpg (165KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1476450119088.jpg
165KB, 800x800px
>>8653989
It's the respectful thing to do.
>>
This is what happens when you give prestigious literary awards to artless hippie rock stars.
>>
>>8653989
Silence equates to humility to us Americans.
>>
>He is giving all of us Americans a bad name.
Really? The old hippie who has mixed feelings about getting a prize founded by war-mongers is reflecting on you? That's the American you're worried about tarnishing your U.S. identity? Not Trump, or the KKK, or Westboro Baptists, but Bob Dylan? Good grief.
>>
he doesnt give a shit about a worthless prize. Didnt want it, didnt need it.
>>
>>8654019
Fuck off Bob
>>
>>8654048
The prize has a monitory grant, the one thing it isn't is worthless
>>
The Nobel committee has said that Wästbergs opionion does not reflect theirs. This is becoming more and more like a soap opera. It's pretty fun
>>
>>8654082
Yeah, because more money is exactly what Bob Dylan needs.
>>
>>8654019
>founded by war-mongers
>>
>>8653989
Good on him. Fuck the nobel and everything it pretends to stand for.
>>
>>8654203
He should spend it on poetry lessons
>>
>gives prize to person you think deserves because person is very cool about everything
>person doesn't flatter you with "thank yous" and "I'm so honored to be recognized by you"
>be pissed about it, says person is ruining everything

God, this is pathetic. Prizes are so ridiculous.
>>
>>8653989
he knows he's a fraud. he can't sing or play guitar and his lyrics are trash.

>the authority behind the award may now be having second thoughts on their decision.
taking away someone's prize for literature because they aren't friendly enough

>Dylan's lack of response to the accolade as "rude and arrogant."
getting angry because someone doesn't hold a completely arbitrary and meaningless award in high regard

euros really are sissies.
>>
they are giving themselves a bad name for actually fucking caring this much about an award lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH5AtMB4pMM
>>
>>8654239
>euros really are sissies.
Euros just mocked the entire pretense of american literature, i'm surprised they didn't use the words "great american novel" in their award as well.
>>
>>8653989
The Nobel Prize is a joke. Dylan is based.
>>
>>8653989
Dylan is a pompous, arrogant prick.

That said, I get a certain sense of Schadenfreude from him trolling the self-important, snobbish nobel committee. Who the fuck cares about a stupid prize anyway.
>>
>>8654008

t. Trump
>>
>>8654218
Known for inventing dynamite, Nobel also owned Bofors, which he had redirected from its previous role as primarily an iron and steel producer to a major manufacturer of cannon and other armaments. Nobel held 355 different patents, dynamite being the most famous. After reading a premature obituary which condemned him for profiting from the sales of arms, he bequeathed his fortune to institute the Nobel Prizes.

You were saying, moron?
>>
Hahaha they tried to leverage his celebrity to draw attention to themselves, he saw through it, and they're calling him arrogant
>>
>>8654308
Trump is J R at age 70. He's the candidate 'murrica deserves for ideologically fucking itself up the ass for all these years.
>>
>be Bob Dylan
>don't do anything
>people get upset with you
epic
>>
Try to be pure at heart, they arrest you for robbery,
Mistake your shyness for aloofness, your silence for snobbery,
Got the message this morning, the one that was sent to me
About the madness of becomin' what one was never meant to be.
>>
>an arrogant twat makes a bunch of other arrogant twats mad
I don't see how this is bad for me, it's rather entertaining actually.
>>
>>8654324
>You were saying, moron?
Don't you mean morons?
>>
>>8653989
This angry yurodude is just as arrogant for demanding that dillin kiss the nobel committee's ring just because they've condescended to select him. I'm not really a fan of his music, but my respect for him has gone way up for this.
>>
So basically an American ignores propriety and shows no deference to a bunch of foreign snobs who deigned to give him an award he had no way of knowing he was in the running for, and then they act super offended by this which just shows how condescending they were being in the first place. My guess is Dylan is just flummoxed by the whole situation and the only ones who have any real cause to be miffed are American writers effectively told via the Committee's backhanded explanation for their choice that they are less culturally relevant than an aging folk rock lyricist.
>>
>>8653989
>Wastberg
>>
Based Zimmerman. Meanwhile Kissinger and Obama came to collect their peace prizes.
>>
He should sent Pynchon to pick it up for him, would be a goofy gag.
>>
>>8654482
He also knows that he is a musician, not a poet or novelist, or at least a controversial choice, and he has no interest in coming out and being an asshole.

He prefers to be an asshole to small town audiences who just want to hear tangled up in blue, and whom he trolls with brand new material.
>>
>>8653989
Honestly I respect him more for this. The literature and peace prizes both need to be btfo repeatedly before the committees will reform how they are awarded and people can take them seriously again.
>>
>>8654223
>>8654228
These
>>
File: thejewsdidthis.jpg (23KB, 350x450px) Image search: [Google]
thejewsdidthis.jpg
23KB, 350x450px
>>8654391
holy...i want more
>>
>>8654482
>he had no way of knowing he was in the running for,
Dylan's been nominated annually since the 90s, he knew full well he was in the running for the Nobel.
>>
Dylan is doing the right thing.

the 2016 literature nobel prize will remain vacant.
>>
People like Kissinger and Begin (the man behind the David Hotel bombings) were both given Nobel Peace prizes, So was Sartre (who at least had the good sense to reject it).

Why should he say anything? The prize is a joke, they gave one to Obama right after he got into office. The fact that they gave Bob Dylan the Nobel Prize for literature goes to show how ridiculous the whole thing is, and his silence actually makes me respect him more.
>>
Ungrateful Bob Dylan rejecting the Nobel prize, disgraceful! We can do better. His poem The Rolling Stones, tremendous work!
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-10-24 21.37.28.png (266KB, 989x558px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-10-24 21.37.28.png
266KB, 989x558px
>>8655173
>The names of the nominees and other information about the nominations cannot be revealed until 50 years later
>2016 was 50 years ago
>>
>>8655543
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/10/14/i-nominated-bob-dylan-for-the-nobel-prize-youre-welcome/
>For decades I’ve admired the work of Bob Dylan, whom I first saw at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965, but it was in August of 1996 that I first wrote the Nobel Committee, nominating Dylan for its literature prize.
Maybe the Nobel Committee itself can't reveal who was nominated but it's been mentioned in multiple Dylan biographies that he's been nominate since the 90s.
>>
>>8655543
Pretty much any professor, senator or member of parliament etc. round the world can nominate and many of them brag about who they nominate.
>>
>>8654357
Top cod
>>
>>8654391
>tfw you google this and they're actual Dylan lyrics
>tfw he got the nobel for these lyrics
>tfw nobel committee is mad that he's silent about it
Is this irony? Is bob dylan an actual pomo? Did the pynchmeister orchestrate this for one of his goofy tales?
>>
Based Bob
Only pretentious ass-kissing blowhards care about awards.
>>
>>8653989
>the country who invades and destroy other countries because they need some oil
>some folk singer who doesn't accept a prize is giving it a bad name
Murrikans are just funny. Whenever I think "can they be this ignorant?" they always surprise me with a "yes, and we can even be worse than that".
Shine on you crazy diamonds.
>>
>>8655585
What an asshole that guy is.
>>
>>8655703
This board doesn't have flags, you faggot.
>>
>>8655846
At least he did something in his life, like nominating an artist to an award. What have you done in your life?
>>
>>8654005
I love how you can put "the great American" before anything and it sounds legit
>>
>>8653989
>>
>>8656092
Nominating someone else for an award isn't doing "something", Otto.
>>
>>8654005
Perhaps he is tacitly admitting that music isn't quite literature?

Also, (as an aside) how come people consider Nobel Prizes the end all be all award one can receive? Aren't they given out by swedes?
>>
>>8654082
The real respectful thing to do would be to accept the prize just to give the money to charity. If someone was giving you free money and you already have enough that would be the gracious thing to do.
>>
>>8656123
Because it's one of the oldest international literary awards and has the biggest cash prize attached. That's literally it.
>>
>>8656135
Also if you mean the Nobels in general, it's mostly for the same reasons, but every prize except literature and peace is supposed to be a lot more legit.
>>
>>8653989

Haha, called it in the last thread.

>WTF is his problem? Why is he being so ungrateful to the Nobel Prize Committee? He is giving all of us Americans a bad name.

No he isn't you silly burger. If anything he is actually holding up the standing of Americans on the international scene right now by showing that he is an American celebrity and artist that hasn't been completely lost up the asshole of his own ego like so many others.

He is a savvy guy. He can see this Nobel move for what it is: a plea for attention and relevancy.
>>
File: 1466061776194.jpg (830KB, 1118x763px) Image search: [Google]
1466061776194.jpg
830KB, 1118x763px
>>8654391

this post deserved more
>>
I almost feel that the Nobel committe awarded him it because they were fans of Dylan and these snobby turdmeisters wanted to wine and dine with him.

They wanted to draw attention to themselves and make a splash in the media by picking a "provocative" recipient but really what they have done is downgrade the definition of literature by conflating it with music.
>>
>>8656155
instead of projecting a whole slew of virtues or vices onto bob dylan, or arguing that his behavior reflects either well or poorly on America in some way, how about keeping in mind that he's a curmudgeon and that he behaved--whether for right or wrong reasons--exactly as anyone should have expected him to behave?
>>
>>8656196
Whatever his motives were, he made the right call.
>>
>>8656196
Precisely, he did the same thing earlier in his career when the media started blowing him up as some kind of counterculture leader. He turned his back and went into seclusion.

He was never much for the limelight, least of all as he got older.

He doesn't want to give some sanctimonious speech on behalf of these twits. Why should he? What would he say?
>>
>>8655609
not true, btw
>>
>>8656123
>music isn't quite literature
Tell that to Plato.
>Aren't they given out by swedes?
So?
>>
>>8656129
you can't just "accept" the prize tho
you have to turn up at the ceremony and give a speech related to why you won it. it's part of the rules.
>>
>>8656129
>caring about being respectful especially to an organization as slimy as this
Cucks, everyone.
>>
>>8654218
US education at work...
>>
File: CobJBcKVUAAqGuA[1].jpg (42KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
CobJBcKVUAAqGuA[1].jpg
42KB, 500x346px
>>8654019
>Why don't you flagellate yourself for being a racist like I do? Good grief.
>>
>>8653989
He's doing the right thing.
>>
In what way was what Dylan did 'a new poetic expression' do the people in charge have no clue about poetry or music?
>>
>>8656589
they once awarded a scandinavian guy who wrote a sf verse novel and another time their former chairman who also wrote sum poems
>>
>>8653989
i regret can i get the money plz if he doesnt want to
>>
>>8656508
>you have to turn up at the ceremony
empirically wrong
>>
Its the best thing he can do. They just wanted to give him the nobel as a marketing strategy to get people interested in the prizes. He knows that doesnt want to be used as an advertisment, fuck the nobel
>>
>>8656669
Yeah, who had even heard of this nobel prize thing before this year?
>>
>>8656680
The masses dont give a shit about nobel winners and you know it.
>>
>>8653989
hahaha nigga looks like adam sandler
>>
>>8656757
>people don't care about the nobel prize
>nobel prize people want people to care
>"let's give the prize to someone there care about"
>how about bob dylan all the boomers love him and are nostalgic about him and it will be controversial so people will finally care about us

Sneaky bunch desu, glad The Zimm pissed on their parade.
>>
>>8656790
Now a biopic of Dylan is a Sandler movie I would watch.
>>
Bump for later
>>
>>8653989
He was always an ungrateful, entitled piece of shit and treated both his fans and groupies and friends with disrespect. Watch the documentary 'Dont Look Back'. You won't look back at this piece of shit.
>>
>>8656757
But they do, the masses are _all_ about the prizes and the stickers that signify them.
>>
>not loving biased Bob
>not listening to sad-eyed lady of the lowlands right now

wew
>>
Honestly I think Bob is self-aware enough to know that he's written pop music and not great literature. He always seemed to have disdain for his fans.
>>
>>8656973
Yeah, but they're not about Nobels and Pulitzers. Those are seen as too academic, too serious.
>>
File: JFouN.jpg (54KB, 425x640px) Image search: [Google]
JFouN.jpg
54KB, 425x640px
Even Bob Dylan thinks books are gay.
>>
>>8653989
Where were you when they made the literature prize as big a joke as the peace prize?
>>
>>8656808
This is most likely what the comittee was thinking honestly.
>>
>>8656359
Plato would have banned Dylan. And America.
>>
>>8657017
>pulitzer
>serious
kek
>>
>>8654019
>a prize founded by war-mongers

literally wat
>>
>>8657371
I think he's talking about public perception. If you don't actually know anything about the Pulitzer as a pleb and see it on the news or a book cover it might seem like a big deal.
>>
He's said in interviews that when he looks back on a lot of the music he wrote he can't relate to it anymore, and is surprised it was he who ever wrote it.
>>
>>8654019
>warmongering is bad
Cuck.
>>
>guy literally writes song about how much he hated getting an award
>people surprised when he's not interested in getting an award
>>
>>8653989
Because the Nobel Prize Committee is an absolute joke? They awarded Obama for Christ's sake.
>>
>>8654218
>>8657386
He's probably referring to the fact that Alfred Nobel got rich from war. I do not understand how that qualifies him as a warmongerer.
>>8657399
Next time, try making an actual argument.
>>
>>8657392
He really seems to be cocky young anti-authority type that naturally gravitates to left wing in his youth but goes pretty hard right later. I expect most of his fans would dislike the real Dylan and Dylan would hate them right back.
>>
>>8657428
You've never heard of the military industrial complex?
>>
>>8657432
That happens because everyone with strong idealist convictions eventually realizes that the left doesn't practice what it preaches. The right isn't much better, but its constituents (not the politicians) tend to be more honest.
>>
>>8657446
Eh, fair point. I'd argue that his inventions were used for non-military purposes as well but then again Nobel also made a lot of money by producing cannons and other armaments.
>>
>>8657424

The Peace prize is given out by the Norwegians though - not the same committee.
>>
>>8653989
the nobel prize doesn't mean much after they give the award to mass murderers and people that don't understand economics
>>
>>8654391
i love this thanks
>>
>>8657424
>the Nobel Prize Committee
>>
>>8657428
>I do not understand how that qualifies him as a warmongerer.
I do, but I don't understand how that qualifies him as a warmongerers.
>>
>>8657399
go to bed Hillary
>>
File: 2016-10-25_2214.png (330KB, 519x877px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-25_2214.png
330KB, 519x877px
>>8656634
fair enough
the speech thing is true tho
(although see pic related, he could just do a concert)
>>
>>8656808
>why don't people care about us? I want them to care about MEEEEE!
hmm, remind me, how many members of the cimitee were women?
>>
/lit/ forgot about the last two winners like the day after. I don't get the controversy over this one.
>>
>>8659692
There's occasional discussion here about Modiano.

The reason for the fuss should be obvious: he's a musician.
>>
>>8659692
hey i still love alexievich
>>
>>8659708
>>8659709
I mean more that they won not the authors themselves.
>>
>>8653989
I thought he was dead
>>
>>8656808
another good explanation:
>people don't think pop culture is high culture
>but I like pop culture, does that mean I have shit taste?
>that is not possible, obviously there's nothing wrong with my taste, I just need self-validation
>let's give Nobel prize to pop culture icon, to show those stuck-up snobs that my taste is legit and get me self-validation
>>
>>8654082
>>>>>monitory
>>
>>8659729
TA TA TA TA!
>>
>>8656188
It's not that they prized his 'music' itself, dude.
They're awarding lyrics which are poetry which is literature.
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.