[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rate my uni book club, /lit/. So far we've read; >Siddhartha

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: 1474075935702.png (494KB, 629x497px) Image search: [Google]
1474075935702.png
494KB, 629x497px
Rate my uni book club, /lit/.

So far we've read;

>Siddhartha
>50 Shades of Grey
>A Midsummer Night's Dream
>The Divine Comedy

Next we're reading The Kite Runner.

Anyone else here joined a book club? What are you reading right now?
>>
>>8653857
One of these things us not like the others...

I wish I could find a book club that only reads books I want to read.
>>
>>8653857

>you'll never care enough about anything to stab a man in cold blood
>>
>>8653881
Never stopped Meursault
>>
>>8653904
mersault cared, he was just an edgelord
>>
>Kite Runner
Best pass on this one anon
>>
>>8653857
kite runner? pls b bait
>>
>>8653954
>>8653956
What can I say except half our tiny group consist of women. We read 50 Shades ironically just to see how bad it was, but now after people had trouble with Dante they're "getting sick of the classics" and are starting to suggest more pop-lit.

I just don't know. I'll give it a chance at least and hope for a better one next time.
>>
>>8653971
You have to suggest more accessible classics. If you force them to read Ulysses, they will jerk react back to Harry potter.
You should suggest books like stoner, dead souls or Jude the obscure. They are great books but don't take to much effort to "get".
>>
So im justified in my hatred of kiterunner? Cool.
>>
>>8653993
Yeah, kind of what I've been trying to do. Siddhartha was my suggestion for example, and I think everyone enjoyed it to a certain degree.

Not sure why people wanted to read Shakespeare and Dante except those being the only "classics" they know of. Not that I complained but Dante was obviously too heavy for most of my group to handle.

Thanks for the recs, btw.
>>
Best decision I made with my book clubs reading list was starting with short stories.

Good Old Neon
Signs and Symbols
Library of Babel & Tlon Uqbar
In the Penal Colony
The Small Rain

Then moved up to novellas and so on.
>>
>>8653881
i would 100% kill my father if given the chance.
>>
>>8653881
>cold blood

Drunkenly stabbing someone because you're mad about prose is not in cold blood
>>
>>8654170
jesus, why? i would kill basically anyone alive except my other immediate family members if my father asked me to.
>>
File: sigmund-fraud.jpg (876KB, 1066x1500px) Image search: [Google]
sigmund-fraud.jpg
876KB, 1066x1500px
>>8654170
Go on.
>>
>>8653857
You haven't read the divine comedy on italian, so it doesn't count
>>
>>8653954
Is Kite Runner that bad? It's one of my girlfriend's favourite books, she has a bad taste in books anyway but is it an atrocity.
>>
>>8654177
he was physically abusive to my siblings and me, and prevented my mother from doing anything about it by isolating her from her friends and family and beating her into submission.

it only ended because he beat my brother so badly that he had to be hospitalized.
>>
>>8654552
>it only ended because he beat my brother so badly that he had to be hospitalized.
Did he break some knuckles or what?
>>
>>8654552
tell us more about your childhood

no /s
>>
Mine doesn't have one.
>>
File: 8090932432.jpg (781KB, 1400x787px) Image search: [Google]
8090932432.jpg
781KB, 1400x787px
>>8654560
>>
>>8654177
CRAAAAAAAWLING
>>
>>8654575
there's not a lot to tell. my father found any reason he could to beat us, even if we had nothing to do with it. if he had a bad day at work, he'd take it out on us. the only time he was ever in a good mood was when he would plan family vacations, which we almost never went on. he'd say we didn't deserve it or did something to make him angry, but he'd never say what.

he didn't let us socialize with other kids either. there was nothing he could do when we were at school but we couldn't talk to anyone outside of that, not even the neighborhood kids.

my brother got it the worst because he was the oldest. he was hospitalized because he had had enough and tried to fight back but he was only twelve so he didn't stand a chance.
>>
>>8653971
Out of all fucking classics, why TDC? It's famously inaccessible if you're not willing to do a fair amount of research.
>>
>>8653857
Oh god, Kike Runner is cancer, leave now. They make you read it in Canuck public school.
>>
>>8654676
I'm sorry anon, I can't understand how hard that must have been.
>>
>>8653971
Read Madame Bovary
That'll get em back into the classics
>>
File: 1461687223005.jpg (38KB, 500x463px) Image search: [Google]
1461687223005.jpg
38KB, 500x463px
>>8653857 (You)
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.