[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Cormac McCarthy really fucking hard to read for someone that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 156885_m.jpg (117KB, 399x500px) Image search: [Google]
156885_m.jpg
117KB, 399x500px
Is Cormac McCarthy really fucking hard to read for someone that only learned English as his second language? I've read books from Oscar Wilde, Salinger or Joseph Conrad in the original language and rarely needed to look up a word and it felt just like reading a translation. I'm trying Blood Meridian but it is absolutely killing me, can barely make out one sentence without having to look up, all the words are so archaic. Should I just /give up/ and buy the translation?
>>
>>8653425
I find his overuse of the word and to be annoying as fuck. It's like he despises periods.
>>
What is your native language?

Are you using an e-reader? I am reading it now and the obsolete words don't pester me too much. I actually enjoy the long periods and lack of quotation marks and commas, because it does affect the flow of the narrative in an interesting way.

Keep going, it is definitely worth your time.
>>
>>8653512
Forgot to add that I'm also not a native speaker.
>>
>>8653512
I'm German. I do enjoy it and i can usually understand what's going on but my autism kicks in and I can't continue without looking up that obscure word used for some ancient plant or some shit. The German translation is quite good from what I've heard, so I definitely think that if I can't ease in, I'll just try reading the translation and maybe read it in English after that again.
>>
>>8653520
That's also an option.

You could try watching some westerns too.
>>
>>8653425
He's really hard to read because he's a hack. There's nothing difficult about his writing, it's just relentlessly shitty.
>>
Why's The Road so beloved by normies? Is it easier than his other works?
>>
>>8653425
Don't read a translation. The language is like 70% of the reason to read that book.
>>
>>8653425
Blood Meridian can be very difficult. There are a lot of archaic words, obscure geological terms, historical names, and a very particular style of "biblical" writing to contend with. I read it on an e-reader and the dictionary function was invaluable. How far are you? Don't feel bad if you have to re-read passages, a lot of the middle portion of the book is composed of immensely detailed descriptions of the landscape that can be a bit difficult to parse.
>>
>>8653552
hmm shit without relent. sounds like last night's taco bell
>>
If I were you I would keep the dictionary out and look it up. With McCarthy, it's not so much about the actions as it is the way that he describes that. That would be lost in any kind of translation. Good job on trying to power through it though, OP

>>8653552
From the bottom of my soul, fuck you. No one thinks you're funny and you've been doing this to every FUCKING thread for like a year now. You're not being ironic or cute or anything. Just stop.
>>
>>8653552
omg ur so angry pls do share more as it's so elemental to our threads
>>
>>8653425
Keep reading.
Second reading is where you analyze, bust out a dictionary, do copy work etc.
>>
>>8653649
>>8653665
Are you really this buttflustered over someone criticizing your guy? No one's trying to be funny or cute, you retards just can't get it through your heads that someone can read blood meridian from cover to cover and think it's shit.
>>
>>8653984
>>8653649
>>8653628
This might be the first book where I start to write words on the side of the page. I always thought it's just tacky bullshit but I actually forget what some of these words mean when I turn the page. It's not like I have a job anyways.
>>
File: 1390542786734.jpg (135KB, 563x528px) Image search: [Google]
1390542786734.jpg
135KB, 563x528px
>>8653998
>>
>>8653563
It's more mature and accessible than his earlier books about Edge Holden giving Nietzschean monologues while eating babies. I mean, yeah, The Road has baby eating, but it documents a genuine-feeling relationship between father and son. It's also unique among post apocalyptic fiction in that it paints a picture of an almost totally lifeless world that actually feels like it's heading towards total extinction of the biosphere, not just men with mohawks in BDSM gear riding around the outback on motorcycles. The fact that it was made into a film with good cinematography helps, and yeah... basically Oprah.
>>
>>8655345
>I have no defense for my actually plebbery so I'll call the other guy a pleb
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.