[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can you do with an English degree? I really don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: l5D3q.jpg (138KB, 621x864px) Image search: [Google]
l5D3q.jpg
138KB, 621x864px
What can you do with an English degree?

I really don't want to go into teaching. I'm quite a nervous person and I don't think I could handle it.

My other concern is that I won't be able to pursue/capitalise on my interests. I know some have been able to teach and succeed creatively (pic related) but I don't believe I could.

I don't care about money. I only want to make my parents somewhat proud while being able to pursue other interests.

I ask because I'm sure many people on /lit/ are English graduates and I trust you more than I do my University's employment service.
>>
Write a book.
>>
>>8653249
If you want to write a novel, write a novel. Otherwise, work your way up at a museum, important library, media conglomerate or marketing company.
>>
>>8653249
You can get into business with it
>>
File: 8742023162_d99881220a.jpg (151KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
8742023162_d99881220a.jpg
151KB, 500x500px
>>8653249
Publishing houses and literary agencies look for people with English degrees. It generally takes a bit of time and experience to get to a good place financially, though, but it's possible.
>>
>>8653661
I'm not particularly interested in a publishing house. I was initially but an open day at a large London publishers and a few internships that clearly specified that they would not take white males on put me off. I think it would be extra difficult for me to get into the industry
>>
>>8653676
A lot of publishing houses hire freelance editors to edit or proof their manuscripts. They don't care if you're a "fucking white male." If you're good at editing, familiar with the different style guides, and pass their editing tests, you could work remotely. Either that or take on your own clients. You'd be surprised how many people want (and need) professional editors for books, papers, etc.

Pay is shit for freelancers until you get a lot of clients, but it can be comfy and satisfying work.
>>
>>8653702
Hey, that sounds pretty cool. I'd like to work freelance, even with all the pitfalls. Thanks, anon. I'll look into it
>>
I'm doing an MA program at VT where I'm a GTA. I get my tuition waived and receive a monthly stipend of about 2000 a month. I'm also doing a (paid) technical writing internship. After two years of doing that internship, I plan to work in a private sector business doing technical writing.

Naturally I majored in English because I "wanted to write" and did good on essays.

Don't try it. It's 2016. You have to be practical.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.