[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Sam Coll was born in 1989, in Dublin, Ireland. He graduated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: samcoll.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
samcoll.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>"Sam Coll was born in 1989, in Dublin, Ireland. He graduated in English and Art History from Trinity College Dublin in 2011 and later obtained a Masters degree in Anglo-Irish literature, writing his dissertation on Samuel Beckett and sentimentality."

Excerpt:

>"At the same time, elsewhere. In Mount August Square. Where lies a tennis court round which looming lodgings stand stern, their brickwork choked by ivy, by vines that clog the fissures and strangle stone, and a glum dark park where, from the branches of the trees, dangle ropes tied into nooses. A fit site for suicides. In summertime, floating through air of square, one sees billowing by the blossoms of cherry trees, clogging the gutters, breezing into one’s nose, stirred to dance by gusts of wind. But there are none now; the court is empty; the trees are bare. Dead leaves, hangovers from the party’s close, lie around in a dull litter of sad damp clumps. Darkness reigns.

>"And into Mount August Square, a padding animal comes, with crooked back and burning eyes, coming through the soft night prowling mid the damp, with tentative scuttle. Hear the sound of the tread of its paws, to which some wet leaves stuck. Where are you going to, snowy my son? Where are you going to, my handsome young one? Many miles have you wandered, let loose from lair unwitting. You shiver as you stalk – for the spring your master hath wrought has not yet made it eastward. With the tang of meat in your mouth, the fangs and canines smeared by blood of man, mandibles you wetly scrubbed with all the floppy length of your tongue, licking quite clean your chops."
>>
The simple alliteration and blatant influence, and more than the tone in which he's described by media, gives me the sense he's nothing special (unproven, anyway), but being sold to us in the same new-Joyce action figure packaging as Eimear McBride and Jack Cox. With Tom McCarthy there is at least a more diverse set of inspirations that don't overwhelm the flavors, and arguably accomplishes something genuinely novel, if only a tone.
>>
>>8653309
*and more than that
>>
>>8653084
Excerpt is bretty gud desu
>>
>>8653084

>1989

kek he looks at least twice as old as he is

Also nice Joyce tribute act but it's all very twentieth century.
>>
>>8653309
Tom McCarthy is a hack. His book about the lad who got something dropped on his head was a major disappointment.
>>
>>8653084
Holy shit this guy isn't even a full year older than me and has a hairline worse than my father
>>
>>8653344
But he's published, and you aren't
>>
>>8653348
REKT
>>
>>8653328
I'm inclined to agree, but I'm lenient for now. Honestly, my reaction to him is so far more gut feeling than sense, and goes little further than maybe accusing him of "the anxiety". He also to me seems like in a crop of writers that were sold to us all of a sudden, along with Colum McCann and more commercially Joseph O'Neill (and less seriously, Zadie Smith), McCarthy being the most palatable to 'serious' criticism. Satin Island especially was overstated crap so I'm not buying it. But I'm more skeptical than critical.
>>
>Sam Coll was born in 1989
What the fuck
>>
>>8653348
I have no desire to be published anywhere except literotica and 4chan.
>>
>>8653084
>Where are you going to, snowy my son? Where are you going to, my handsome young one? Many miles have you wandered, let loose from lair unwitting.
This is blatant plagiarism of Nobel laureate Bob Dylan"s "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall"
>>
>>8653408

Link to your literotica stories?
>>
>>8653408
>>8653530
yep, gib link
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.