[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Make way, you Roman writers, make way, Greeks! >Something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: The_Aeneid_cover.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
The_Aeneid_cover.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>Make way, you Roman writers, make way, Greeks!
>Something greater than the Iliad is born.

Was it good, /lit/?
>>
File: Game_Sketch_017.png (142KB, 1000x954px) Image search: [Google]
Game_Sketch_017.png
142KB, 1000x954px
>>8652915
It's pretty great if you can read Latin and understand what Virgil's doing.
http://virgilmurder.org/
>>
it is noticeably secondary to homer (up to the stuff like - achilles got a new set of arms made by hephaestus and explicitly described, therefore aeneas should get such a set made by vulcan and explicitly described too), the author sometimes couldn't hold the air of the mythical world ("nearing the cliffs of the Sirens, perilous of old"), the second part is imo rather a snoozefest (but it's pretty much like with "odyssey", imo it violates the unity of action, albeit aristotle didn't thought so about "odyssey"... the journey to return/to achieve the destination and settling the problems when you returned/achieved the destination are not the same action imo), aeneas is a milksop whose greatest heroic quality is obeying w/e the gods ordered him to do; it's prettily written though and has some stuff which affected the later european literature like his variant of visiting the world of death includes a prophesy about the future which was later used by ariosto and spenser and the very visit description inspired dante who didn't read homer etc

"metamorphoses" is better, "bucolics" and "georgics" are better too imo
>>
File: curiosity.png (56KB, 213x368px) Image search: [Google]
curiosity.png
56KB, 213x368px
I wonder what we would have had if Virgil had managed to complete his vision, instead of wanting the manuscript burnt after his death.
>>
>>8652967
I think Aeneas is a more interesting character than you give him credit for. He was always intended as being incredibly pious but that doesn't make him a milksop. He was obsessed with his ideal of duty to his family and his people, and he was smart enough to realize in the worldview of the Trojans that being devoted to the gods would always be good for him and the people around him.
>>
>>8652915
Yes, but it was considerably worse than the Iliad. Most things are, so it's not damning, though it is kinda damning with faint praise given its attempt to be a Roman Iliad.
>>
>>8652967
what do you mean with "couldn't hold the air of the mythical world"?
>>
>>8652915
Its basically the ancient equivalent of when Americans try to adapt a British sitcom
>>
>>8653078

he allows anachronisms; i gave a quote where he described what happened around that time when odysseus tried to return to his ithaca and met sirens, and the narrator called the rocks of sirens as something which used to be perilous long ago

he also predicts the future which he already knows (much like dante in "divine comedy") up to his own times and with great details
>>
>>8653099
This is some autism.
>>
>>8652924
That website is amusing.
>>
>>8652967
>>8653074
>>8653099
>thinking Virgil is meant to be taken straight
>thinking Virgil didn't know exactly what he was doing
>>
>>8653115
A shit's a shit whether you meant to do it or not.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (365KB, 1200x1694px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
365KB, 1200x1694px
>when Aeneid tries to usurp Iliad
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.