[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover, >To entertain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: king_richard_iii.png (275KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
king_richard_iii.png
275KB, 640x360px
>And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover,
>To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
>I am determined to prove a villain
>And hate the idle pleasures of these days.
are there any other characters in literature who kill people because they can't get laid?
>>
>>8652761

Doesn't he pork Lady Anne?
>>
>>8652761
Many Shakespeare characters, actually.
>>
shakespear lied about richard iii ><

btw he is qt on your pic
>>
>>8652780
>supposed to be hideous
>they draw him qt

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>8652790
>supposed to be hideous
He wasn't hideous though, that was just Shakespeare trying to earn favour from the queen.
>>
It's not that he couldn't get laid, though that's part of it. He just couldn't evoke any empathy, no admiration or love, the only way he could affect the other was through that hate.
>>
>>8652796
True. They found his remains and he's all right, other than looking like Lord Farquaad.
>>
File: SoloCharacters_09.png (264KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SoloCharacters_09.png
264KB, 768x1024px
>>8652761
In Ægyptian mythology Seth was a notorious cuck.
>>
File: sick filth.jpg (38KB, 620x284px) Image search: [Google]
sick filth.jpg
38KB, 620x284px
>>8652885
>cuck
>>
File: Carr.gif (762KB, 240x246px) Image search: [Google]
Carr.gif
762KB, 240x246px
>Shakespeare rhymes days with days

Fucking Young Thug is better than that
>>
>>8652890
His wife literally cheats on him with their brother. The word is used in its full original meaning.
>>
>>8652892
>last line of The Merchant of Venice is a sex joke

absolute madman
>>
>>8652892

>Only instance in all of Shakespeare where such a seeemingly-incompetent repetition occurs
>One of the lines is about the inability of the speaker to "entertain these fair well-spoken days"
>You think it's not intentional

Fuck off you filthy, populist idiot. Take your rap and Jimmy with you.
>>
>>8652803
It's the other way around.
>>
>>8652906
Entertaining these fair well-spoken days, in the context as a lover, rather than a joker. It's about a lack of charisma, rather than a lack of intelligence.

Twat
>>
>>8652944

You're inventing a nonsense rule - that only 'jokers' are perceived as articulate - and getting mad because you're annoyed that you missed the joke and looked stupid.

Richard III is inarticulate and clumsy, in stark contrasts to his effeminate, eloquent namesake, Richard II, who is more of a 'lover' - of himself - than a joker, but the most rhymed character in all of Shakespeare!
>>
The speech doesn't have a rhyme scheme.
>>
>>8652961
>You're inventing a nonsense rule - that only 'jokers' are perceived as articulate - and getting mad because you're annoyed that you missed the joke and looked stupid.
>Projecting this hard when you're the one that said, and I quote

>Fuck off you filthy, populist idiot. Take your rap and Jimmy with you.

No, the rule was that he had a lack of charisma, not that he had a lack of intelligence. That's what I stated from the start. That's what a "lover" is in this context; A charismatic person.

However, you don't need to be charismatic or social or a lover in any way to rhyme. You just need to be intelligent. Even autists can make poems, as we see on /lit/ every day. Therefore, my conclusion is that Shakespeare was the one fucking up, rather than him totally meaning to act retarded, because Richard III was totally that retarded.
>>
>>8652971
not the person you responded to, but ricky has various other points in the play where he mangles his words so i think anon's view is right

i mean read/ watch the play
>>
>>8652961
>Richard III is inarticulate and clumsy

He seduces the widow of a guy he murdered and ascends to power on the power of his words and rhetoric.
>>
>>8652761

Elliot Roger in My Twisted World
>>
>>8652971
You could argue that "lover" simply means lover, and that he is talking about sexual frustration. The peacetime activity he can't take part in because of his ugliness—"caper[ing] nimbly in a lady's chamber," "strut[ting] before a wanton ambling nymph"—is courtship. And he doesn't say that he doesn't want to take part in it because it's not for him, but that he can't because he's so ugly, not "made to court an amorous looking glass" and he therefore has "no delight to pass away the time." It sounds to me like everyone's celebrating, men and women are getting together, but because his ugliness prevents him from being "a lover, to entertain these...days," he's lonely and resentful.
>>
>>8652976
Yeah, his soliloquy at the beginning is one of the best speeches ever written.
>>
>>8652971
>you don't need to be charismatic or social or a lover in any way to rhyme. You just need to be intelligent.
What.

Do you not know what "well-spoken" means?
>>
What are you guys arguing about? The speech doesn't have a rhyme scheme. He wasn't trying to rhyme and therefore he didn't fail to rhyme. There's no rhyme.
>>
One of you is trolling the other, or you're both trolling me.
>>
>>8653020
Love had a different connotation back in Shakespeare's time. Thats also what makes reading Shakespeare (or Dante or Joyce for that matter) difficult. It is not the words you dont know that cause problems in understanding his texts, but the words whose meaning has changed over the course of time and we take for granted as having the meaning we were brought up with.

Since nobody talks in the Dublin dialect Joyce used in Ulysses, a fundamental step in accessing it is lost.
>>
>>8653097
Whatever connotation "love" had back in Shakespeare's day, whether he's talking about sex or just dancing, I think it's obvious he's talking about being too ugly for "heterosexual socializing." His frustration stems from being unattractive, and beyond that unattractive *to women*.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.