[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy is fucking worthless. In fact, it may be the most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: Immanuel_Kant_(painted_portrait).jpg (151KB, 964x1388px) Image search: [Google]
Immanuel_Kant_(painted_portrait).jpg
151KB, 964x1388px
Philosophy is fucking worthless. In fact, it may be the most worthless branch of literature period. I can just see you, Anon, frantically trying to correct me on this; "b-but what about black literature?", you say, hoping I'll be even slightly amused. But all memes aside, there have been plenty of black writers that you can point to who have written works that, while cliched and preachy, have at least standard prose. I can name at least two at the top of my head. Who are these philosophers who supposedly have "good" prose? Oh right, the ones who are barely philosophers. At the end of the day, all you fuckers have is Nietzsche. Imagine that. What does Nietzsche have on Joyce, Shakespeare, Woolf, or Kafka? Beyond that, what does Kant, the worst writer I've ever read, have on even the most pseud of pseud college kids, let alone Pynchon or Mann?

Then you tell me that it equates to some kind of "learning", or that it helps society progress in some way. Where have we progressed? Oh right, edgy atheist materialism and SJW bullshit. Face it folks. You can carry around "you can't never not know nuffin" or "u need to b urself Anon" in your pocket protector, but you'll still be a fat narcissist, sitting in your bedroom, arguing to yourself about Schopenhauer, hoping that, one day, someone will want to listen to your incoherent babble, or that they'll care about your well-constructed dialectics. Philosophy is only worth something when placed in the context of actually great literature
>>
Anything that is valued objectively has value, by definition Anon...

Worth is determined only by what people think, people think philosphy has worth so by definition it does.

This by the way is something entry level philosophy could teach you

Saged
>>
You have no skill and no knowledge. Do you even have a truth methodology?
>>
>>8651801
I don't think it's worth anything, so it isn't.
>>
>>8651780
This is also exactly the type of post a lonely person who reads philosophy would find funny
>>
>>8651820
4 u
>>
>>8651780
this sure is a lot of effort just for poor bait
that entire first paragraph is you trying to judge non-fiction authors vs fiction authors on the merits of their prose, as if all of the NF authors were writing fiction
its entirely without sense
>Where have we progressed?
Well, there's math and science, the different forms of government and political ideologies.
>edgy atheist materialism
So, there's a god, there's such thing as the immaterial, and being an atheist is bad because [something something buzzword]? Wow, it would be nice if you could back up any of those statements, but that would be really fucking dangerously close to you using your brain and philosophizing. Obviously we can't let that happen, so you continue in your world lacking of any deep inquiry.
>great literature
Ha
ya know what it would be if you attempted to give any sort of explanation for what makes great literature

Why do I degrade myself by even pointing and laugh at you
>>
>>8651828
Typical autist ""response""
>>
>>8651829
>Typical autist ""response""
Typical autist ""response""

do you understand what kind of dialogue you create with your reply yet? assuming that you're even OP
>>
>>8651780
>philosophy
>branch of literature

Oh wow, that's a new one.
>>
>prose
you're a pleb and a child
>>
>>8651780
>dude you should only read fiction lmao

3/10, made me reply
>>
>>8651820
If you think Gold is worthless, you are wrong.

If you think philosophy (something valued by millions) is worthless, you are also wrong.

You hate philosophy because its very basic tenets destroys you.
>>
>>8651780
Plato is a great stylist you chimp, nevermind Dostoevsky and, at times, Sartre and Camus.

You must hate having to read informational texts.

>uggghh why is this math textbook's prose so f'n BORING

Almost a decent troll, 4/10
>>
>>8651857
>something valued by millions
LMAO

Plenty of shit is "valued by millions", that doesn't mean it has value. Face it. You're in an endless pit of cuckoldry, desperately clinging to anything that will make your unending patheticism worth anything, trying to convince an Anon on the internet that there's something good at the bottom of the pit. Your name is Brian and you just took Philosophy 101 in college, and you're planning on rising up the ranks. You tell whatever friends you have about the many obscure philosophers you haven't read. You watch School of Life every day before bed, and as you drift off into sleep you whisper Alain de Botton's many platitudes to yourself, hoping that he will meet you in your dreams. He does, and when you see his shiny bald head gleaming in the sunlight you can't help it. In his boyish eyes, you see a lover not so immature as to be untalented, and not so stiff as to be conservative. And you immediately undress, and so does he, and you plow into his many caverns until a sparkly white sauce eminates from your peaks, but you're not done yet, oh no! You lick up the controlled substance and sniff his brownish smegma, and its fragrance reminds you of a simpler time. Back then, Mother would bake cookies for you every day, and Father would take you to the park. And as you continue to sniff, it's like you're hiding behind the swingset again, hoping that Alexa won't find you. Alexa was your best friend. You'd do everything together, in those days. Remember the wooded area behind the school playground? You'd always meet there, at 5:00, much to the dismay of your parents, and it was almost like a small-scale adventure. By the age of 14, both of you knew every tree, every pathway, every abandoned table, and every body of water. You still have a mental map in your head. But you don't go there anymore. Because, when he reached the age of 17, Alexa started doing smack. You noticed it slowly at first. He started talking in a foreign dialect. He became increasingly detached, and when he started to experiment with other drugs he was sometimes violently angry. You stopped hanging out. He stopped meeting you. Next thing you know, he assaults his own mother and ends up in prison, where he subsequently overdoses and dies. And when this horrible memory comes back, immediately you wake up from your dream and go on 4chan to shitpost about philosophy
>>
>>8651780

>Who needs to be able to reason clearly and rigorously?, pretty prose is all that matters.
>>
>>8651968
2/10
Not funny, too obviously wants to be the next pasta
>>
>>8651981
You know it's true
>>
>>8651780
>woolf

nice bait
>>
>>8651801
>t.fedora
>>
>>8652026
oi m8 have you even Orlando?
>>
>>8651801
>Worth is determined only by what people think

Now, THIS is some intro babby-tier Value Theory. Have you even HEARD of Zimmerman, Lemos, Chisolm, Feldman, Huemer, Moore, or Rabinowitz? Just go ahead and off yourself, you might as well.
>>
>>8651780
There are those to whom the mystery of Being calls and there are those to whom it does not. The highest art wrestles with the same mystery. The fact that you cannot see this inclines me to believe you never truly encountered or were properly moved by any of the writers you mentioned. This is nothing to be ashamed of, however. Not all men were made for the heights.

I am glad, nevertheless, that you still read literature. I would much rather the Lower Men be articulate, because then I can at least amuse myself with them. Then we have something in common.

So keep reading Anon! It's important, and will continue to help you expand your horizons!
>>
>>8652059
>because then I can at least amuse myself with them
lol
>>
>>8652059
*the same mystery as philosophy
>>
>>8652059
>the mystery of Being
Existentialist pleb detected
>>
>>8652075
Perhaps, but what word or phrase better encapsulates the phenomenon in question? The mystery of being human? That misses out on those things that seem extra-human. The mystery of experience? Sure, but define experience; and drain it of all its conceptual and ideological baggage.

Being covers everything that exists. So sure, it sounds Heideggarian, but fuck it. It's the mystery of what exists, fundamentally, that calls.

"How strange it is to be anything at all."
>>
>>8651780

So you say philosophy is worthless because of prose, when in fact the best works of philosophy are some of the most beautifully well written out pieces of literature ever created, not for their merit in artistic prose, but in their concise and well crafted use of language as a means to communicate terms and prepositions.

Secondly, "Learning" can mean different things, if you mean Understanding then yes, philosophy is essential for procuring a greater understand of the nature of all that is in existence including the non-physical. However, your short sighted definition of progression is a fallacy and you are obviously grasping on to something you know nothing about, much like a child would.

There would be nothing special about humanity if not for our philosophy and our yearning for self-expression. We would be soulless animals incapable of transcending our environment.
>>
File: katana.jpg (52KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
katana.jpg
52KB, 500x375px
>>8652059
uh oh guys, we got a sith lord badass here. Just remember, when the blade is unsheathed it can only be returned to the scabbard when blood is spilled. You have been warned, litfags
>>
File: you sure about that.png (30KB, 547x603px) Image search: [Google]
you sure about that.png
30KB, 547x603px
>>8651780

On the contrary OP, I am increasingly convinced that philosophy is the only worthwhile pursuit.
>>
>>8651780
>Philosophy
>branch of literature
>>
>>8651801
>Worth is determined only by what people think
m8 .... immediate
>>
>>8652263
The point is, I guess, that either that's the case, then Philosophy's not worthless, or it must be explored what DOES give things worth, then philosophy's not worthless because that is clearly a question for philosophy to answer.
>>
>>8652139
Kek. A guy's gotta believe in something, or he's fucked.
>>
>>8651780
That's an interesting philosophy you got there m8
>>
File: 1462987223235.png (764KB, 615x980px) Image search: [Google]
1462987223235.png
764KB, 615x980px
>>8651780
I see you don't have the ability to understand Kant.
>>
>>8651780
Stop embarrassing yourself, lad.
>>
Everything is useless.
>>
>>8652267
Philosophy is already being excluded from several branches of academia, where Newton wrote a book on natural philosophy, today we call it physics and the two entities operate separately.

In the same way, suppose we make an arithmetic expression for what gives things worth; is it then philosophy, or is it within a branch of math that operates outside of philosophy? Gradually we can take such questions and find different, more mathematical and scientific answers, and omit philosophy in the current sense altogether. Then your argument of needing philosophy to answer these questions no longer applies since we have different answers to all these things - we don't need to think about them, we can use math. Pure and simple.
>>
damn it's just interesting.
>>
Sorry to say it but OP does have a point. Philosophy is just words. Philosophy is not real. It's just a series of mental constructs of "meaning" that you invented for yourself.
>>
>>8652569
>Then your argument of needing philosophy to answer these questions no longer applies

then
>>
>>8653308
I can see why "then" isn't quite in place. Before it is an action and afterwards the consequence of that action. Isn't that how it's meant to be used?
>>
>>8651780
Most really respected exact scientists, - not your edgy retard kid like you - respect and adore some good philosophy, and actually read it and try to inform one another about it.
You just proved you know nothing about what real scientist do and made yourself a fool. Philosophy will never go away, and will always have a place, whether you like it or not.
>>
>>8652059
>>8652085
Sensible posts, anon. Philosophy truly gains importance /after/ the mystery of being has been felt; until then it is little more than an idle pastime.
>>
>>8652054
not an argument

Listing last names is not an argument

get rekt sophist scum
>>
bepis
>>
>>8653251
this is an adult board, lad. read the rules. now come back when you've reached the ripe age of 18. or don't.
>>
>>8653525
not an argument
>>
>>8653538
not an argument
>>
>>8653470
penis cock
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.