[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the core books of the post-apocalyptic genre, /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 6

File: 1473704581845.jpg (163KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1473704581845.jpg
163KB, 1920x1200px
What are the core books of the post-apocalyptic genre, /lit/?

In fantasy there's Lord of the Rings, Poul Anderson, Conan, lots of others. In SF there's Foundation, Dune, more.

For movies, there's Mad Max, and Fallout in video games. But what did Fallout draw on to come up with that world?
>>
File: chenyang-huang-dws-052.jpg (992KB, 1920x1272px) Image search: [Google]
chenyang-huang-dws-052.jpg
992KB, 1920x1272px
>>8651708
Sorry, one other thought.

Is it possible that this is a literary genre that actually doesn't have foundational books? The Wasteland PC game is a major part of this genre, as is Mad Max, but I guess I'm just finding it unusual that, unlike fantasy and science fiction, there isn't a kind of 'greatest post-apoc book' that people would agree on.

There's lots of SF stuff that deals with the destruction of the world, and so on, but...well, anyways. Is it not strange that there is this literary genre that doesn't have a major book at the centre?
>>
>>8651708
How is Lord of the Rings post-apocalyptic? There's an atmosphere of decline or things not being what they once were, but I don't know that it's attributable to any one event
>>
there's max brook's books, i am legend, and the road from recently.
>>
File: 2033.png (597KB, 540x800px) Image search: [Google]
2033.png
597KB, 540x800px
Metro 2033 and 2034 aren't bad books at all for what you're looking for and have inspired games rather than being based off of them.

And I Am Legend was pretty bad, same with The Stand. The Road is bretty gud though
>>
>>8651853
Maybe I wasn't clear. In the fantasy genre, Lord of the Rings is this major book. It has all of the tropes, etc.

In science fiction, Dune or Foundation plays a similar role.

I'm just wondering if there was any sort of equivalent for post-apoc literature. I guess it could be a film too, even a computer game. But if it were a film, or a computer game, I thought that was strange, to have a genre whose central text is not a book at all.
>>
File: fallout_dd.jpg (159KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fallout_dd.jpg
159KB, 1024x768px
>>8651867
Ah, that's a good answer. Thanks anon.

Is it kind of strange to think that Moby-Dick is actually a sort of precursor to this? The world is pretty smashed up at the end there. It's just that everyone is at sea instead of land, and it's a whale that fucks it all up instead of an a-bomb.

Pic related, very cool if you're into this genre.
>>
alas, babylon
a canticle for leibowitz
swan song (a better and much shorter version of king's "the stand" in my opinion)
>>
File: tmp_15873-681244527900.jpg (126KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_15873-681244527900.jpg
126KB, 420x315px
>>8651867
Agreed on metro, I actually just read 2034
>>
File: br.jpg (126KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
br.jpg
126KB, 1024x768px
Even if there is no major central book, the films from this genre are really good. I think this counts.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.