[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Ulysses? Is it really the best book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

What does /lit/ think of Ulysses? Is it really the best book of the 20th century?
>>
Read it last year, and I thought it was a fine effort.
>>
It's the greatest novel ever written in English. Yes.
>>
no, Finnegans Wake is.
>>
unequivocally
>>
>>8649747
Pseud.
>>
It blows. Unreadable trash
>>
read it earlier this year, admittedly I'm not super well read but I think it was easily the best book I've ever read
wow I said read a lot in that sentence
>>
>>8649307
>Some average guy from Dublin's mundane life is just as great as the greek myths XDD

it's trash
>>
>>8649307
Is it worth reading this book if you don't have much experience in what it references? What I keep hearing is that one can't enjoy it without understanding what the author is inspired by.
>>
>>8649307
Best book? No. That would be Being and Time, or The Philosophical Investigations. Greatest novel? Probably, in terms of classical formulations of greatness and in terms of influence. It's a delight to read, and masterfully, masterfully written.

I, however, am a tragedy man myself, and crave the daemonic in literature; Ulysses is fundamentally comedic and humanistic. This is why I personally prefer The Sound and the Fury and Blood Meridian. However, I recognize this as idiosyncratic. As far as greatness goes, and it goes stately, the prize goes to Joyce.
>>
>>8652068
>The Philosophical Investigations

Whats so great about it?
>>
>>8652068

t. pseudo
>>
>>8649307
Nah, Proust's À la recherche du temps perdu is the best 20th century novel.
>>
i like the first third.
>>
>>8652175
W's got a pretty radical and, in the history of philosophy, new way of thinking. You study the book, you start thinking like he does, with him. I can say from experience it transforms the way you understand the philosophical enterprise as a whole. He clarifies lots of things, lots of existential and philosophical problems. He thought philosophy ultimately should function as a sort of therapy, clearing the mind of fundamentally flawed ways of thinking. The PI, then, is to philosophical therapy what, I don't know, the greatest self-help book never written is to interpersonal/emotional therapy.
>>
>>8652068
..fuck me I cringed
>>
>>8652302
Keep writing like that and your masterpiece novel will be finished in no time.
>>
>>8652068
>I, however, am a tragedy man myself, and crave the daemonic in literature; Ulysses is fundamentally comedic and humanistic.

>Bloom isn't a tragic figure
>Tragedy cannot be humanistic (Hamlet???)

Back to school with you, pseud.
>>
>>8652046
It's way better than the Greek myths.
>>
Is there a "best edition" of Ulysses to buy?
>>
>>8652068
Pseud
>>
>>8652068
Fuck those guys, pseudy friend, your post is good practice for the real thing.
>>
*farts*
>>
>>8652068
Literally why I come to /lit/, everyone talking shit to my psuedy friend can fuck off
>>
>>8652068
Pseud.
>>
>>8652068
>someone states their thought-out opinion
>"fuck off pseud"
/lit/
>>
>>8649315
no

>>8649747
no

>>8649889
no

>>8651567
no

>>8652046
no

>>8652068
no

middlemarch or anna karenina
>>
>>8653123
whooooopppppsssss not the second one
>>
>>8653123
whoooops or the first one wrong century sorry folks my bad hehe
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.