[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beginning Game of Thrones. Never watched the series or read Martin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: blessqueen.jpg (59KB, 590x438px) Image search: [Google]
blessqueen.jpg
59KB, 590x438px
Beginning Game of Thrones. Never watched the series or read Martin before.

What am I in for?
>>
File: 1461475674185.jpg (1MB, 1769x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1461475674185.jpg
1MB, 1769x1080px
>>8646794
>>
>>8646801
oh
>>
If you turn the page and see the word "DAENERYS" written in large font, skip the whole chapter. Trust me, it makes the story more interesting
>>
>>8646794
R/Books
>>
File: 1466677483356.jpg (5KB, 201x160px) Image search: [Google]
1466677483356.jpg
5KB, 201x160px
>>8646801
>tfw
>>
>>8646819
serious or memeing
>>8646828
looks interesting, as much as reddit praises it
>>
>>8646873
>serious or memeing
Half-serious, half-memeing. Dany chapters are absolute cancer and her story is mostly irrelevant to the rest of the characters. You'd be better off just reading her chapters summaries on the wiki
>>
If you are into fantasy probably one of the best choices you can get. Don't let the literature snobs tell you otherwise
>>
>>8646819
i did this while watching the tv show
does it really apply to the book too?
>>
I really enjoyed the song of ice and fire series. You'll find yourself rooting for certain characters and houses like your favorite sports team.
>>
>>8646913
that excites me, I'm a bit of a fantasy layman, usually read histories or classics, but I've heard this from multiple people now

Any books that can invoke such a feeling other than LOTR and Song of Ice and Fire
>>
it's ok, it's a complete mess by book 5 though and doesn't look to be going anywhere
>>
>>8646794
A huge disappointment and burning, soothing rage when you finish book 5 and realize there's nothing else because GRRM is a fat lazy fuck who won't write a single letter since he's rich now.
>>
A fucking waste of time you will never get back & a further step towards plebian total retardation.

Go & read some proper books. Then see if you still want to commit mental suicide on this absolute garbage.
>>
Look at the fucking state of the guy that writes them. Why would you want to pollute your mind with anything coming out of that fucking blobs head? Find one of the meming lit stater kit charts & read at least ten books of any of them. I'm drunk & its late so I'm going to take this out on your stupid thread. What the actual fuck is wrong with you? I found my way here years a go via /fit where some guy posted about manly books to read & got btf down by a stray lit. I arrogantly ventured here thinking Vonnegut was the shit, but even the memest of memes has led me to excellent fucking books. Seriously there is so much, SO MUCH fucking amazing shit to be reading, why in a million years would you want to wallow around in such fucking pigs swill. Have you read any greeks? Dostoevsky? Mishima? Goethe? Borges? Fine argue me over any of them & your preferences & so on, that's what we're here for. But fucking GG fucking pleb whatever the fuck martin?!?! Have you seen the shitty TV show? You know this total bullshit is based on these shitty shitty derivative piles of crap. Have you read Beowulf yet? Any of the Icelandic sagas? The fucking Kalevala? Why not read some Shakespeare Richard III or Henry V or anything other than this scrapings of scrapings. & yet we keep getting these fucking threads. Get the fuck off my lit you motherfucker.
>>
>>8647423
why not both

your elitism makes you miss out on life
>>
>>8647468
Your missing out on nothing. I don't think you're aware of the full scope of cool shit you need to be getting the fuck on with. This is crap is degenerative. It will make you dumber.
>>
>>8647468
Also 'your elitism makes you miss out' is full on pleb so fuck right off.
>>
For further proof, look at the retards that replied 'which book is better', watch them arranging the shit in different orders with their feces covered hands. This is the retardation I'm talking about. They've totally polluted their thinking. Utterly self inflicted.
>>
>>8647468

t b h I don't think he's missing out on much.
>>
>>8647482
>responds to a criticism of elitism with more elitism
>>
File: sasugad&d.jpg (526KB, 1181x853px) Image search: [Google]
sasugad&d.jpg
526KB, 1181x853px
If there's one saving grace, the books were at least better than the last few seasons. Which is still saying something, as Dance With Dragons was boring, bad, and left too much unresolved.
>>
>>8647478
this
>>
>>8647543
Plebception
>>
>>8647583
Both these 'plots' read as absolute drivel. This thread has made me wonder what actual good examples of the fantasy genre would be. It sort of started & ended with Tolkien. Maybe the Conan books? There are plenty of examples of literary authors venturing into sci-fi, but not really any writing in fantasy.
>>
>>8648951
Most fantasy is too concerned with world building. It's more like making the puppets react believably or making the Pixar creature walk fluidly than creating a story. Once they have that mechanic they paste a serviceable plot over the top and let it go. It is not literary in the sense of telling a convincing story that illuminates how we all live, it is retelling old familiar fairy stories with a "gee wizz, what if there were dragons" mentality.

It's as if Tolkien backed into the genre accidentally, scribbling up his fussy little conlangs and then wondering what kind of people would speak them.
>>
>>8646794

Every single bodily impaired or socially ostracized character is a shameless mary sue, and the rest of Westeros is a foil to show their inner beauty. ASOIAF's one saving grave was it's apathy towards the fate of it's normie cast, which grows ever more stale and predictable. Trash it.
>>
>>8648951
gene wolfe

conan is pre-tolkien, something like dying earth is largely of around tolkien's times...
>>
>Hedge Knight
>Sand Kings
>Tuf Voyaging
Everything GRRM wrote outside ASOIF is better than ASOIF. I think he feels much more comfortable writing short stories, and possibly regrets getting into the whole ebin fantasy business. Which is apparent since even ASOIF is structured like a collection of short stories bound by overarching narrative.
>>
Why would you do this to yourself
>>
>>8648951
Robert E Howard writes with an almost goofy level of machismo but there is actually a lot of things he does right. Honestly, Howard was better at the writing aspect of writing than his much more famous friend Lovecraft (famous as in his name is more well known: more people know Conan than Cthulhu, but more people know Lovecraft than Howard)
read the short story The Tower of the Elephant.
It's not high literature, but it has more merit than most of the Song of Fire and Ice books.
>>
>>8647423
Harsh but fair
>>
File: image.png (107KB, 184x375px)
image.png
107KB, 184x375px
>>8648976
I'm tempted by Wolfe, as the only possible fantasy writer that gets any level of apparent respect. But again, look at the fucking state of him. Do tell me more about this world you've created in your giant blubbery belly...
>>
>>8649204
I thought we came here to be harsh. Please don't down vote my karma points!!!
>>
>>8649159
Howard doesn't use ENOUGH 'machismo' you fucking pussy.
>>
>>8649219
Don't worry, you have a solid popularity curve.
>>
File: gene-wolfes-quotes-4.jpg (23KB, 297x300px) Image search: [Google]
gene-wolfes-quotes-4.jpg
23KB, 297x300px
>>8649213
This is young Wolfe, pretty shocking that there was a time when he didn't have a mustache
>>
>>8647423
Can this be a new copypasta?
>>
>>8649355
I guess he looks slightly more like someone I'd want to listen to. He really gave up on life since though...
>>
>>8646794
lots of long meal descriptions. all i could imagine was that fat bum's lips trembling and mouth salivating as he wrote endless paragraphs about goat meat over the fire and lemon cakes. it stood out
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.