[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to learn the technical stuff of poetry? A study of linguistics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: shit on.png (326KB, 535x591px) Image search: [Google]
shit on.png
326KB, 535x591px
How to learn the technical stuff of poetry?

A study of linguistics?

I feel like I can not start poetry without knowing the foundation stuff
>>
>>8646540
What, like meter? Here's a neat little interactive website:

http://prosody.lib.virginia.edu/
>>
>>8646575
yea, accents, etc

i don't understand why they're used, when to use them, why do i have to adhere to it, etcc
>>
>>8646575
>http://prosody.lib.virginia.edu/
btw thanks
>>
pirate ode less traveled on gen.lib.rus.ec
>>
>>8646540
>I feel like I can not start poetry without knowing the foundation stuff
That's like saying you can't start watching films without understanding the technique of film production.

>>8646578
>i don't understand why they're used, when to use them, why do i have to adhere to it, etcc
Read The Ode Less Travelled by Stephen Fry
>>
>>8646540
Dude, don't worry about it. The important thing to remember is that a piece has no objective meter. After all, how can words on a page have stress and lack of stress? They're just fucking words, y'know. And in the processing of reading aloud, you are the one producing stress, not looking for it, so just pay attention to where the stresses naturally fall, and if there are any decisions you have to make about stress (as there are in almost every poem)

Also remember that it isn't a 0-1 binary system. There are shades of stress. Most words in a sentence are in between stressed and unstressed, and if you try and fully stress these, it sounds wrong.

Look it up, by all means, but don't make the false assumptions that most people make about metre. Binary metre is a very subjective (and i might even go as far as to say a little outdated) system.
>>
>>8646610
>That's like saying you can't start watching films without understanding the technique of film production.

that analogy is off the mark imo, i'm trying to write it too.
>>
>>8646708
you should probably start with basic communication skills and go from there
>>
>>8646632
thanks for your input, it actually made me understand a bit better
>>
File: 51CYKAPW4WL.jpg (34KB, 319x500px) Image search: [Google]
51CYKAPW4WL.jpg
34KB, 319x500px
> dry af but indispensable
>>
>>8647262
No worries man. Scanning poetry used to be a complete nightmare for me, until someone explained all this
>>
What about the same thing, but for other languages?

I'm think of German poetry, mostly.
>>
>>8647324
"the ode..." has generic poetic terms, meters and stuff, you can always try if those work in german or not

since it's not french which barely tolerates anything except alexandrine due to their silly end stressing you should be fine with a few of them, i think; btw, afaik german poetry widely uses iambic pentameter just like the english one

otherwise you can google verskunst lehrbuch or something
>>
>>8647630
>since it's not french which barely tolerates anything except alexandrine due to their silly end stressing
Meter has nothing to do with the "silly end stressing".
>>
>>8649323
but it does

>The modern French language does not have a significant stress accent (like English) or long and short syllables (like Latin). This means that the French metric line is generally not determined by the number of beats, but by the number of syllables
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_poetry#French_prosody_and_poetics

>Word stress is not distinctive in French so two words cannot be distinguished on the basis of stress placement alone. In fact, grammatical stress is always on the final full syllable of a French word (the final syllable with a vowel other than schwa). Monosyllables with schwa as their only vowel (ce, de, que, etc.) are generally unstressed clitics but rarely may receive stress.[29]

>The difference between stressed and unstressed syllables in French is less marked than in English. Vowels in unstressed syllables keep their full quality, giving rise to a syllable-timed rhythm (see Isochrony). Moreover, words lose their stress to varying degrees when pronounced in phrases and sentences. In general, only the last word in a phonological phrase retains its full grammatical stress (on its last syllable unless this is a schwa).[49]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_phonology#Stress
>>
>>8646540
abcs of reading by good old ezra pound. read modernist poets from the early 30's onwards, after eliot and pound, and then start reading contemporary poets. You do not need to know anything, but you may find yourself looking up words - which is a good thing. The only way you can be good at poetry is by reading it habitually - read tons of lit criticism and book reviews. basically, read more.
>>
>>8649496
>>The modern French language does not have a significant stress accent (like English) or long and short syllables (like Latin). This means that the French metric line is generally not determined by the number of beats, but by the number of syllables
And how does that force everyone to use alexandrines?

Have you opened a book of French poetry? Alexandrines are quite common, but simply because 12 syllables is just right. There's a ton of different meters being used.
>>
>>8649687
you can't have iambic pentameter and the likes (i think any imab or trochee) in french and that's all because of how their stressing works, so french poetry is stuck with syllabic verse, the first link of my previous post lists the most popular of those:
>The most common metric lengths are the ten-syllable line (decasyllable), the eight-syllable line (octosyllable) and the twelve-syllable line (the so-called "alexandrin").
>>
>>8649721
That still does not force anyone to use twelve-syllable lines, does it?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.