[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First book I actually enjoyed and finished. What should I read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: John-Williams-Stoner.jpg (171KB, 400x650px) Image search: [Google]
John-Williams-Stoner.jpg
171KB, 400x650px
First book I actually enjoyed and finished.
What should I read next?

pls no
>pretentious infinite jest bullshit
>translated crap

tfw Lomax kisses Edith on the lips
>>
If you think Infinite Jest is pretentious, you're gonna have a hard time reading nearly everything.

>No translations.

Say goodbye to reading the undisputed GOAT of literature (Dostoevsky).

Try some Steinbeck next. I started reading Of Mice and Men today and so far its a really comfy book with a nice story.
>>
>>8645418
Read his two other novels, Butcher's Crossing then Augustus. All three are some of the finest American novels.
>>
>>8645418
>doesn't read
Then how do you know IJ is "pretentious"?

>taking /lit/'s word for it (or anything) really
lmao you are truly lost
>>
>>8645446
>dostoevsky
I love Dostoewskij nearly the most, and his works resonate with spirit; but come on. Tolstoy is better of the two.
>>
>>8645455
How?
>>
Read the fucking sticky you turbo fucking faggggggoooooottttt
>>
>>8645447
strongly recommend this. if all NYRB ever did was republish his 3 novels, it would be considered a success
>>
>>8645418
>no pretentious suggestions
>refuses to read translations
????
And here I present to you the Underground Man. A walking contradiction. A man who thinks himself an intellectual above everyone else, yet everything he does he knowingly does to degrade himself in front of others.
>>
>one flew over the cuckoos nest
>the catcher in the rye
>dying inside
>lonesome dove

All introspective and heart wrenching books. If you liked stoner you will like these. Pretty easy reads too.
>>
You would probably like flowers for Algernon as well.
>>
>>8645446
I second Steinbeck, but go with East of Eden. They had a very similar feel to me. Finished Stoner yesterday too and I really enjoyed it. Reading Notes From the Underground now.
>>
>>8645447
Nice try, bud - but I'm going to read Augustus before I read Butcher's Crossing.
>>
>>8645418
Honestly start with the greeks. Not even memeing. You don't have to but that's what I did and found it quite enjoyable. Of course if you ever want to dive into philosophy, you have to start with the greeks anyways.
>>
>>8645446
>If you think Infinite Jest is pretentious, you're gonna have a hard time reading nearly everything.

Harold Bloom agrees with him.
>>
>>8645929
Those who can't do, teach.
>>
>>8645938
>spouting clichés

DFW fanboi detected
>>
The "no translations" part is retarded, but he can read a whole lot of great literature without touching any of the postmodern bricks that fight the reader and dare him to keep reading.
>>
>>8645463
through prose and sincerity I'd guess.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.