[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here has read Hart Crane? He's been called a "poet's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: hart-crane-448.jpg (23KB, 448x293px) Image search: [Google]
hart-crane-448.jpg
23KB, 448x293px
Who here has read Hart Crane?

He's been called a "poet's poet", probably because his work takes a lot of effort to grasp conceptually, and the structure and rhythm of his poems usually subtle, and not usually apparent upon first glance.

I read his work slowly, going over many lines many times. I've never read anything like it. I just read it over and over, and then it just kind of makes sense. I wouldn't say he writes about anything notably complex, but the perspective with which he conveys it is really alien, and takes a while to wrap my head around.

But if I'm just looking at the writing, the words themselves, and can't think of many modern English poets who are comparable in skill level. He's easily better than Pound, and not because i just don't like Pound's style. The only person I think he is really comparable in style to is Eliot, but not structurally, as Hart's structure is simpler than Elliot's. But, Phonetically, he is a like Eliot but better, kind of like EE Cummings but with grammar.

Another think i find interesting about him was his prominence among the intellectuals of his time, despite being a high school drop out. His "Theory of Metaphor" is very interesting to me. From what i understand, he says that words used in poetry or other literature go beyond and become detached from their semantic meanings. They become something personal to the writer. And this "closeness" that the writer has to the word predates the word, and is where we find the true essence of poetry.

He killed himself at 32 because he considered himself a failure. Despite his hard life, which was troubled with alcoholism and sexual frustration, as he was gay during a time when it was illegal, he sought to create a poem in the same vein of that of TS Eliot's Wasteland, one that was more optimistic than Elliot's view of modern life.
>>
His work appears to be either really simple or the type where one must pull back the various layers of symbolism and meaning.
Thanks for sharing.
>>
I know Bloom's got a boner for him.
>>
>>8643887
I imagine Hart Crane would likely have one for him too.
>>
>>8643887
Everyone who is not a pleb does.
>>
I've studied him. He's interesting, but too dry for my taste: the poetry is more an intellectual exercise than a sublime experience, whereas Eliot at least manages beautiful lines while weaving his webs.
>>
>>8645528
>says Crane is more an intellectual exercise compared to Eliot

Eliot is literally the look-how-well-learned-I-am poet.
>>
>>8645961
ye but he was cheeky
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.