[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you translated the work of any philosopher into plain English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: kant1.jpg (232KB, 918x536px) Image search: [Google]
kant1.jpg
232KB, 918x536px
If you translated the work of any philosopher into plain English it would sound to obvious and silly that nobody would take it seriously.

Science, on the other hand, is fascinating no matter how simply you present it.
>>
Science doesnt exist. Its just a process like logic.

>Muh science
is a fucking meme, technology is created by humans not by science

Bill Nye btfo
>>
Proof:

>Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law without contradiction.

This is Kant saying "act as though everyone else will act in the same way as you".

Did you really need all those syllables to make such a simple statement that has been known since the dawn of time?
>>
>>8643807
You've just proved yourself wrong, that's not what the formulation means at all. Note the phrase "without contradiction", for example.
>>
>>8643816

Admit it, without the language there is no glamour. A quick series of examples could quite easily explain the concept, and this is in fact how they teach philosophy in school.

If I wanted nice prose I'd read fiction. How would you like if you picked up a cooking book and the English was so cryptic you'd need a scholar to explain it to you.
>>
>>8643826
Well evidently some alternative language to your proposal is needed, because you yourself misunderstood Kant's idea.

>How would you like if you picked up a cooking book and the English was so cryptic you'd need a scholar to explain it to you.

Perhaps it'd be odd since cooking is so much more practical and everyday than philosophy, but I'd enjoy it to a degree because I have come to appreciate learning (and the acceptance of our ignorance) as an end in itself and not merely a means to some end. You should as well.
>>
>>8643807
Everyone goes shirtless at all times no exceptions
>>
ugh
>>
If an axe murderer came to your door and asked where your children are would you lie to him?
>>
>>8643890

This is flaw in his idea.

To Kant you couldn't lie in this situation because lying is categorically wrong.

The missing aspect is the reason for the lie. Lying to save your life is good, lying to cheat someone is bad. Deontology is just flawed because the intentions are obviously not irrelevant.
>>
>>8643783
philosophy is diadectic
wisdom is
>>
>>8643826
>>8643783
>>8643807
>>8643897

this is your brain in positivism
>>
>>8643807
Congratulations, you've discovered that Kant is a subpar philosopher. You are ready to advance your thinking.
>>
>>8643807
As a native speaker of German, I just want to make the point, that English translations of German philosophical texts are most of the time pretty ridiculous.
>>
>>8643783
>science

You mean natural philosophy right?
>>
>>8643783
>inb4 science is philosophy

>>8644303
this.
>>
>>8643897
That doesn't mean lying is not still wrong. Your scenario is simplistic and stacked to attempt and find a flaw in a flawless moral system.

>let justice be done though the world may come to an end
>>
>>8643783
>>8643783
ENOUGH WITH THIS MEME!

>hurr durr science has replaced philosophy

No it hasn't - it never can, it never will.

If you think it has, you have failed to understand the nature of philosophy AND science.
>>
>>8643897
You could tell the truth then save the child.
>>
>>8643807
the american school system in action, gents
>>
Elder Demiurge tier: mathematics
G-d tier: natural sciences
Superman tier: history
Man tier: social sciences
Slave tier: philosophy
>>
>>8645734
G-d Tier: Math and Art
Superman Tier: Philosophy
Aristocrat Tier: Physics/Chemistry
Human tier: Practical Philosophy and Practical Skills
Slave Tier: Politics and Marketing
Non-Human Tier: Non-medical Biology and Psychology
>>
>>8643807
>This is Kant saying "act as though everyone else will act in the same way as you".

Wrong. It's Kant saying "act as though everybody would act after the same principle that's underlying your action."

And it's an intuitive statement that's imidiately recognized as true - which is what he is fucking arguing when he postulates it.

Making it "lose it's glamour" is HELPING his argument, not deterring.
>>
>>8643807
He's not saying "imagine if everybody did the same thing how'd you feel about that". He's saying, "some reasons for doing things are self-contradictory".
>>
At least philosophy is translatable. But whereas philosophy is for the few, religion is for the many, just as Nietzsche often remarked how Christianity was but a "translation" of the Platonic philosophy.

>"...the truths of the modern scientific worldview ,though they can be demonstrated in mathematical formulas and proved technologically, will no longer lend themselves to normal expression in speech and thought...For the sciences today have been forced to adopt a "language" of mathematical symbols which though it was originally meant only as an abbreviation for spoken statements, now contains statements that can in no way be translated back into speech"
>>
>>8645770
>Non-Human Tier: Non-medical Biology
HEH?
>>
>>8643783
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>8645949

>For the sciences today have been forced to adopt a "language" of mathematical symbols which though it was originally meant only as an abbreviation for spoken statements, now contains statements that can in no way be translated back into speech

Who said this crap?

First of all there is no symbol for which there isn't an English word for it.

Now the symbols are there to avoid having to describe everything from first principles. The reason they can't be translated back into speech (plain English I assume he means) is because the underlying principle is too complicated to represent with common English words.
>>
>>8646023
>the underlying principle is too complicated to represent with common English words.

... just to clarify, you could, but if would take you a few hours to explain what something like equidecomposibility means.
>>
>>8645949
Mathematics is the most universal language of the world. Scientists from all over the planet can look at the equation and understand it as the idea that statement represents. Such clarity is impossible with translated language
>>
>>8646164
that's only if they all learned the same mathematical notation
>>
>>8646179
Dont be obtuse, you know what I'm talking about. All these expressions look different but represent the exact same idea. There's no cultural/linguistic barrier
>>
>>8646190

matematical notation is itself kind of language
http://www.cut-the-knot.org/language/index.shtml

unless you learned and use the same notation as other people you won't understand each other, it's an example of a linguistic barrier

what you are saying it's like to say that just because medieval scientists of different nations learned latin, which weren't their native language and was purely the language of science, theology, philosophy and the classic literature, there was no language barrier between them

these letters in english and, say, arabic look and sound differently but represent the exact same idea :3
>>
>>8646220
Languages aren't comprised of letters, but of words (shitton of mutually unintelligible languages use latin alphabet for example). And there's no word in, say, english, that means THAT EXACT same thing it does in other languages, due to cultural development. Even the most basic, simplistic words like 'dog', or 'sex' cannot be translated with absolute clarity. Math bypasses that problem. A formula represents the same idea even if you write in in a 1000 different ways
>>
>>8646023
>>8646164

The quote is from the Human Condition by Hannah Arendt. It occurs in a discussion of the political consequences of the inaccessibility of science to public discussion; it's lack of translatability, as it were. She says this is a result of "Earth-alienation" suffered by scientists who look at the earth from a cosmic perspective , that is, from a viewpoint outside the earth. Mathematics is a system of formalised notation (just like music), more of a grammar than a language. The universality of mathematics is true for scientists qua science, but nobody can be said to be conversant in this "language". Nobody can have that dialogue between me and myself which we call thinking in the "language" of mathematics.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.